Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
samer

WRONG numbers of ST4 posts!!!!!!!!!!!

24 posts in this topic

hello everyone,

just came back from a meeting about the MMC in the yorkshire deanery and they presented the number of ST4 they had so I asked chairman a question about why the numbers are diffrent as the ones they said was totallyy diffrent from the MMC website and I was told that all the numbers were not true on the MMC website and that was the feedback they got from other deaneries like london 77+ posts for GA. and then they advised to apply by region preferences rather than by numbers. ANY thoughts any one????????????? :'(

thats not on !!

so apply for a post which may or may not be there?

So how many posts are there in yorkshire?

any forensic st4?

That's ridiculous. So what exactly r the numbers in yorkshire deanery? And is the no of GA posts in London deanery not right? Can we take MMC to court for publishing wrong info on their website and thus misleading applicants?

But we make our applications based on the numbers announced on the MMC website. For eg, if I am interested in Forensic, I look into deaneries, which offer Forensic posts, in the first place- no point in applying to deaneries, where there r no Forensic posts! So if the numbers on MMC website r not true, then I may end up applying for deaneries, which actually don't have any Foresnic posts! This is ridiculouus indeed!

I agree with schizoaffective, So, samer, can u tell us who exactly were there in this meeting? Was it just ur local clinical tutor spinning theories, or was there somebody more authentic?

post numbers for psych st4 in south yorks and south humber deanery were also wrong. i told someone from our admin dept to change them to make them right. they contacted the deanery. apparantly the numbers are now correct, but i have just checked the spreadsheet on the mmc site and it has not changed. i assume this means that the numbers on mtas are now correct but the spreadsheet has not been updated - that means when you apply the info should be correct so you won't be able to apply for a post that is not available.

i've also heard that the posts for the general hospital posts are also wrong on the spreadsheet. i assume that as they know that the same will apply to their posts.

unfortunately i don't know if my assumptions are correct.

hi everyone,

in the meeting it was the chair person for the training board or some other title for her post.in other words she's the one in charge for the overall training in psychiatry in yorkshire deanery.

the numbers in yorkshire for ST4 are 1 GA, 1 OA, and 1 for LD, they said some might come soon but that's the current numbers.

as everybody said , we apply according to numbers not anything else.

any other deaneries info???? anyone????

NO! DON'T APPLY ACCORDING TO NUMBERS! even if the numbers were correct they don't help. you may know the numbers of posts but you don't know the numbers of applicants. if there were 30 st4 posts available in deanery x that doesn't necessarily mean it's th best place to apply. what you may not know is that they have 42 eligible shos and cos everyone in the country will be looking for places that have posts and also think that deanery x has the most posts they'll all apply there too. whereas deanery y may have only 4 posts with no eligible shos and no-one wants to apply cos of the low number of posts..... apply for the job you want not the one you think the numbers look good for.

NO! DON'T APPLY ACCORDING TO NUMBERS!  even if the numbers were correct they don't help.  .....  apply for the job you want not the one you think the numbers look good for.

Thanks j for the advise.

NO! DON'T APPLY ACCORDING TO NUMBERS!  even if the numbers were correct they don't help.  .....  apply for the job you want not the one you think the numbers look good for.

ofcourse we will have to apply according to numbers

if there no st4 posts in forensic in northern on the spreadsheet

i cant apply, can i?

if then later they say they have...what can i do?

you are right..that we shouldnt calculate the numbers...but there have to be some isnt it?

That's exactly my point as well, pratish. No point in applying for 4 deaneries where there r no Forensic posts, if I want to do Forensic. I have to look into the numbers and apply!

J, I know what you said about don't look at the numbers. but for example when there is one number in GA in yorkshire and me knowing at least 20 people going for that number locally, what are the odds in getting it and wasting 1 option of 4 as mainly I just moved to the deanery.

J can you please let us know about the correct numbers for south yorkshire as I wanted to apply there as my first option (I'll be applying any way because of personal reasons) as they said on the MMC there are 8 GA posts

thanks

The number of vacancies mentioned in the transitional spreadsheet was accurate as on 18 December 2006. Some additions or substractions were anticipated by MMC which is mentioned in the introduction part of the Spreadsheet. Therefore, please stop thinking about taking them to court in this matter.

I hope, the final accurate number of vacancies will announced on the day the applications are made available on MTAS. If not, its like playing the lottery.

To clarify further, the final number of vacancies will depend on the number of existing SpR's leaving their training (they have the option of extending their training for a further 6 months period). The MMC have no way of knowing this beforehand.

However, the numbers displayed on the spreadsheet are close to the predicted vacancies. The smaller the vacancies, the larger will be the difference of outcome if an existing SpR decides to exit of his/her training.

rumour has it that some ST posts will not be advertised by MTAS but that the deaneries can recruit for them individually.

I also here that LATs are back in the mix, this with only 5 days to go before everything sacred and beautiful about British training goes tits up >:(

Dear Shabaz,

This thread is about ST4, not ST.

Rumours- im not sure if they are worth discussing here, people are already in acute confusional state with the available FACTS, i think its best to ignore rumours to preserve our sanity.

Please find an appropriate thread for your posts.

That's exactly my point as well, pratish. No point in applying for 4 deaneries where there r no Forensic posts, if I want to do Forensic. I have to look into the numbers and apply!

if there are no vacancies then the system will not let you apply. the speadsheet has errors in it. MTAS should have the corrected numbers. for some reason they don't seem to have updated the spreadsheet.

job numbers are always uncertain. sometimes posts are withdrawn. a consultant post near me was advertised and shortlisted for recently. the interview was supposed to be next month. the post was withdrawn for funding reasons last week. this is the state of the nhs at the moment.

J, I know what you said about don't look at the numbers. but for example when there is one number in GA in yorkshire and me knowing at least 20 people going for that number locally, what are the odds in getting it and wasting 1 option of 4 as mainly I just moved to the deanery.

J can you please let us know about the correct numbers for south yorkshire as I wanted to apply there as my first option (I'll be applying any way because of personal reasons) as they said on the MMC there are 8 GA posts

thanks

as of wednesday the sysh deanery has 8 posts. those are split between GA and OA. i don't know the exact split but they are mostly GA as far as i know (1 or 2 OA). there are no child posts. the spreadsheet says we have 14 posts (8ga, 5oa and 1 C&A). no-one knows where those numbers came from.

In a way, at least we get a rough estimate on the number of posts now. We never knew how many posts there were while going to interviews in the past. So, actually it is an improvement. Don't get me wrong- I am in no way trying to defend the new system- I still feel there was nothing wrong with the old system

well in terms of interviews and how they appoint it will be the old system essentially with a few pointless bells and whistles added in for good/bad measure (depending on ur standpoint).

they have always said from the start that the numbers are 'indicative' and can change on account of peoples ritas etc.

J, would you be kind enough to tell us what are the available ST4 places in northern deanery. it says 18 on the spreadsheet and i am sceptical with the announced spreadsheet numbers especially in the context of many deaneries reducing the seats in the last minute for ?? reasons.

Please help me

Thanks in advance ::)

The MTAS shows all the posts in each deanery and hospital. It opened this morning. The no. of posts are not very clear. The search engine also confuses us.

'If there are no vacancies the system will not let you apply...'

But would you take the chance and click submit having put down somewhere that says it's got no posts? How do we know it will work?!

The MTAS numbers for Mersey have changed from the MMC ones as well.

All will be revealed in the morning.

Good luck with filling in the boxes!

Re: Wrong number of ST4 posts.

It is interesting to note that other deaneries have similar problems.The Northern Deanery has advertised 3 ST4 posts in CAMHS.I have spoken to the Programme Director who is insistent that they have Only One Post!!!!!!!!!!

At the same time, Northern Deanery has advertised 1 LD post but the Clinical Director is convinced that they have 3 potential posts!!!!!!!!!!Strange situation............Think the Deanery has got it wrong.........But everytime you ring them up to clarify all they do is 'PASS THE BUCK'...No one is responsible...

Certainly applications made to any Deanery would be made based on numbers..........but what action could be taken against Deaneries advertising incorrectly?............NOTHING??