Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
terminal4

latest on mtas

23 posts in this topic

'Your referees have now been contacted by MTAS. Referees will be asked to try to complete the reference by 24 February, but we recognise that this may not be possible in all cases. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to you or your referees by not having the reference request earlier.

You will continue to have the opportunity to amend your referee details up to the point that a reference is submitted. However, applicants are asked to do this only if absolutely necessary as their referees may have put considerable effort into drafting references ready for submission.'

So we can ask our consultants whether they received any mail from MTAS or not? (that will let ys know whther we have been shortlisted or not?So we don't need to wait untill next saturday,isn't it ? )

my understanding is that referees are contacted irrespective of shortlisting status . but not sure if references provide a sub-score for shortlisting itself - shouldnt be.. someone pls clarify!!

My referre got the email today?promised to fill it up over the weekend and has promised to dsicuss it with me what a sweet cosnultant.

shortlisting has happened in some area which means that references are not related to shortlisting, I think references are a matter of formality and won't make a diffrence as they will only be checked if some one is appointed. so don't worry much

good luck everyone

where can we find that?...is it email?..not in my inbox?

It's on the news page of the mtas website.

Why would they ask for references if they are not interviewing. A waste of time , and a potential irritation to the referees.

my understanding is that referees are contacted irrespective of shortlisting status . but not sure if references provide a sub-score for shortlisting itself - shouldnt be.. someone pls clarify!!

references are not used for shortlisting.

So we can ask our consultants whether they received any mail from MTAS or not? (that will let ys know whther we have been shortlisted or not?So we don't need to wait untill next saturday,isn't it ? )

no. all referees wiil be contacted it's automatic, it has nothing to do with the shortlisting system.

References are not used for shortlisting. Only to confirm you are good at what you do and not a pain in the ar@e.

But contacting them all regardless of interview seems a waste. It cannot be the case.

We are living in an age where the medical workforce is really stretched with regards to time. Now they are asking for references for all of the applicants. That amounts to 30,000 references. Say each reference takes 30min, this amounts to the loss of 15,000 hours of senior medical staff time loss.

I think MTAS does not reallly know about 'efficiency' and 'working under pressure', 'empathy'... they themselves should understand the questions they ask about others.

P-S

you are right

We are living in an age where the medical workforce is really stretched with regards to time. Now they are asking for references for all of the applicants. That amounts to 30,000 references. Say each reference takes 30min, this amounts to the loss of 15,000 hours of senior medical staff time loss.

I think MTAS does not reallly know about 'efficiency' and 'working under pressure', 'empathy'... they themselves should understand the questions they ask about others.

P-S

Some individuals referees have been contacted, others haven't - J is of the opinion that this is irrespective of whether one has been shortlisted or not - why such patchiness??

the responce of referees are graded. if it was just the case of 'good enough to employ or not' why the gradations?

My consultant has been contacted and I have seen the reference.

I know that my deanery are shortlisting for ST4 tomorrow.

So doesnt necessarily mean I am shortlisted unless the other deanery I applied to has shortlisted me.

From the College tutor:

Word is that there is a 3:1 ratio at ST1-3 level for applicants and probably the same at ST4.

He has said that people are being contacted for references irrespective of whether they are shortlisted, but that doesnt make sense to me. Bit of a waste of time

Who said they are going to be graded, and it would be very useful to know how many people referees have been contacted or otherwise.

Referees are being contacted irrespective of the short listing status.

The referee forms are more objective and hence in a way advantageous.It is the obligation of the referee to hand over a signed copy of the referral form to the trainee so any bias detected could be argued!!!!!!

I dont think anyone's consultant is being extra sweet here !!!!!!!!!!It is their obligation.

Mind You the last date is 24th of February!!!!!!!!!!!! So dont leave it until the weekend to sort it out as you might miss the bus!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck.

I gathered from one of my colleague that only those who have sufficient leave to remain in this country would be shortlisted in this round and from next round onwards,,,it would be different ..is it true? any sharing on this pls? :o

Has any one managed to visualise their reference on the MTAs Website after they have been submitted by the referees?

https://www.mtas.nhs.uk/help/appform.html#references

The References tab

You must provide details, including e-mail addresses, of two referees who have supervised your clinical training within the past two years. If you have recently had a career break and cannot nominate referees from the past two years, then your referees must include your two most recent supervisors.

You should ensure that the e-mail address you give for each referee is accessed regularly, as it will be used to request the reference.

If you are applying to more than one specialty, you may opt to nominate different referees for each specialty. As a result, the References tab may change if you change your UoA/specialty/entry-level selections.

Your referees will be able to view those parts of your application that refer to the entry and selection criteria. They will not be able to see your personal details (except contact details) or the equal opportunities monitoring data. You will be able to view your references on MTAS once they have been submitted. For information about references, see the Applicant's Guide.

nope.. i m not able to see the reference, even though i know it has already been submitted by my referee.. but i think the referees are advised to send a copy of the reference to the candidates..

you have to take a hard copy of the ref with you to the interview too.

my ref has def been sent but i can't view it either!

when i try to check them at home, it just refreshes the same page.

at work when i tried to view them it gave me an error message saying something like........... cgi - bin can not be accessed from this server!