Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
murcielago

Referee reports

27 posts in this topic

Hi

Is anyone aware whether their respective referees have been asked to submit references yet or whether they have submitted them???

i noted the box marked references on the MTAS website next to the referee, but it doesnt allow you to access it

other question is,

If your refs have been requested, does that mean you are shortlisted and if they are not requested does that mean you are not shortlisted.

yeah ,

Until yesterday people were able to change referee details.

From what I've been told is that references play a very small part in selection (short list and interview). They are mainly used as post-interview checks to see that the person being offered the job has no difficulties / issues.

From what I've been told is that references play a very small part in selection (short list and interview). They are mainly used as post-interview checks to see that the person being offered the job has no difficulties / issues.

Am I glad to hear this...my referee is away for the whole month of feb and I have been putting off changing my referee for a sunny day (procastination is one of the root cause of all evils :-?)

Not sure if they will do things the same way they have been in the past but when I got my SpR post in July 2006, they didn't ask for references until I'd actually been offered the job. It seemed to be more of a safeguard for HR rather than something that could give you more 'points' towards employment.

If my referees had said I was an axe-murdering loony then they would probably have withdrawn the offer.

Thankfully, they didn't. :D

when you say they didn't, do you mean they did not withdraw the offer, or your references never mentioned the fact you were an axe murderer....?

just out of curiosity...! ;):lol:

when you say they didn't, do you mean they did not withdraw the offer, or your references never mentioned the fact you were an axe murderer....?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one!

that's true.

Hee hee...offer not withdrawn and no mention in references of me being an axe murderer:)

It could've gone so terribly wrong for everyone involved.

BTW met an *actual* axe murderer when I was a forensic SHO-he escaped from our unit!!!!!

As I understand it - the MRCPsych does not matter, the references do not matter, research, audits, publications do not matter. What matters is our ability to turn on some moron with the imaginative answers and dodgy dossier!!

As I understand it - the MRCPsych does not matter, the references do not matter, research, audits, publications do not matter. What matters is our ability to turn on some moron with the imaginative answers and dodgy dossier!!

I couldn't agree more.

hahahahahaha. if you have filled out your form in a way that represents your understanding then i would guess that you would be unlikely to get shortlisted.

I have heard of a referee who lost all their information on the Mtas web site...............Waht a surprise :o

Has any one managed to visualise their reference on the MTAs Website after they have been submitted by the referees?

https://www.mtas.nhs.uk/help/appform.html#references

The References tab

You must provide details, including e-mail addresses, of two referees who have supervised your clinical training within the past two years. If you have recently had a career break and cannot nominate referees from the past two years, then your referees must include your two most recent supervisors.

You should ensure that the e-mail address you give for each referee is accessed regularly, as it will be used to request the reference.

If you are applying to more than one specialty, you may opt to nominate different referees for each specialty. As a result, the References tab may change if you change your UoA/specialty/entry-level selections.

Your referees will be able to view those parts of your application that refer to the entry and selection criteria. They will not be able to see your personal details (except contact details) or the equal opportunities monitoring data. You will be able to view your references on MTAS once they have been submitted. For information about references, see the Applicant's Guide.

First of all, some referees have been contacted. I certainly know one of my colleagues whose referees were contacted. All his UoAs were psychiatry. Referees of those who applied for GP and were longlisted have also been contacted.

I haven't been able to get hold of either of my referees. I'd like to know if they're asking for all references or only for those who're shortlisted

anybody who could see their references online when they click the refernce tab in the application :-[

i could not says forbidden

One of my referees has received the request,the other has not.I doubt if references would be considered during shortlisting..My feeling is that they would continue to accept references past the Friday deadline.They can`t realistically expect consultants (busy or oherwise) to complete references within 2 days of receiving requests,especially as they do not come with any financial incentives ;)

have any overseas doctors aware if their consultant's have been contacted for references????

both my consultants have been contacted and one of them has done the reference and already posted the copy of reference for me.

I haven't heard from both referees. And the MTAS website does say it is 'forbidden' to see the page with the actual reference.

I guess its just wait and watch. ;)