Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manjupanatt

competition in individual deaneries

14 posts in this topic

I had a chance to talk to a member of the London deanery.

He felt that London would be competitive qualitatively and quantitatively.

The obvious reason being that because London has the greatest number of slots available, most people around the country would have put it down as one of their choice in the hopes of securing a place.

interesting theory. all along london have said that they expect that everyone will apply to

them. i don't think that that is the case. historically the ratio of trainees to population has vaired form region to region. london has had a much higher ratio than other places. the application to post ratio is not something that they've published.

individual uoa ratios may be available for round 2, but this is something that is not definite yet. we'll have to wait and see.

The obvious reason being that because London has the greatest number of slots available, most people around the country would have put it down as one of their choice in the hopes of securing a place.

Yeah, but then you'd have to live and work in London! Not something everybody would choose to do. I certainly wouldn't. :lol:

Northern Ireland

270 applicants

100-ST1 jobs 12 ST 10 FTSTA

70-ST2 ' 12 ' 10 '

60-ST3 ' 10 10

40-ST4 10

competition stiff for ST4 as most people are local and qualify

ST3 has the less competition

ST1 no idea that so many would put psychiatry but this has more to do with people not wanting to leave the area and applying 4 specialties in one UOA

Elligiblity rains supreme and with a mandatory 75% of posts having to be filled in the first round boy oh boy

Just heard from a reliable source that there were 22 applications for the 1 ST4 General Adult Post in Severn

reply to shabaz, from your figures the competition is least in st2 in ireland,

70:12 is less than 60:10, if i am right? ;)

NW deanery

Apparantly 3:1 ratio at ST1-3 level

Likely to be same at ST4

well yes in a way sorry i had go add that most of the local candidates were in ST2 or ST4 and they were fewer local candidates local and on the rotation applying for ST3 i think that would put my earlier comments about ST3 being the most permeable to IMGs in perspective

i guess the foreign doctors shouldnt even think abt getting into ST2 or even FTSTA in northern ireland. they have enough of their own graduates and frankly they are more skilled at communication which matters the most at the interviews. however ST3 might be less competitive as i dont see many around.

The fact that you don't see them around does not mean they are not there.Don't worry the interview results will tell.