Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smithy

heritability estimate

5 posts in this topic

I read that schizophrenia has a heritability estimate of 85%. &nbsp:lol:oes that mean that 85% of the phenotypic variance is esplained by genetic influences. ( I'm struggling with the term 'heritability estimate'.

Cheers

Join the club, Smithy. I've always struggled with what heritability actually means. All I know is, it doesn't mean what it sounds like it should mean..... :-/

I think you are right smithy...

In simple terms...

phenotype is determined by the interaction between genes and environment.... ie genetic variance (heritability) and environmental variance (environmentability)...

If the heritability is 0, then genes dont contribute at all... if it is 1.0, it is purely genetic....

But you shud be aware that these are interpretations at the population level, not the individual level... ie on an average, 85% of the 'phenotype' of schiz can be attributed to genetic differences... and 25% to environmental...

This is my understanding...

correct me if I am wrong please

I have always struggled and finally just mugging the figures.!!!!! What Doarian says is correct. Also Heritability would probably depend on the population surveyed from what I have understood. I feel relieved the College have left it for the statisticians to calculate. Thank God for small mercies!!!!