Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justice

FAILED A CASC STATION WITHOUT ANY AREA OF CONCERN HIGHLIGHTED?

13 posts in this topic

:-X :-X :o :o

I got my CASC feedback few days ago and was given a D in a station where there were no areas of concens highlighted. I'm very puzzled. Has anyone experienced this? Is the college/examiner right in doing this? What should I do?

Opinions/remarks/comments welcome.

Thanks

:-X :-X :o :o

I got my CASC feedback few days ago and was given a [highlight]D in a station where there were no areas of concens highlighted. I'm very puzzled. Has anyone experienced this? [/highlight]Is the college/examiner right in doing this? What should I do?

Opinions/remarks/comments welcome.

Thanks

Welcome to the club. The examiner must have nodded off so what could he/she highlight????? :lol: >:( :( :'(

The RC has conveniently sidestepped this issue in the CASC Candidate Guide they only say ' [highlight]the number of areas highlighted will not necessarily correlate with the mark given. Indeed there may even be ‘Areas of Concern’ highlighted in stations that have been passed'[/highlight]

I feel this is extremely poor. How are candidates meant to improve if they are not dgiven appropriate feedback? I would argue that no areas of concern should be a pass.

Hello Justice,

My advice would be according to the number of stations u have passed.If u have passed 11, its worth writing to the college and explaining to them that u want to contest this specific station.If u feel u did well on this tell them the same and ask them to look into this seriously.If u have got less than 11 pass, i would not bother.

I was thinking of psoting this thread but you took the lead. Yes, the same happened to me. They failed me in 'Schizophrenia - explain to the mother' station and they have absolutely NO area of concern to me. Perhaps the examiner did not like my style or perhaps my performance was too poor !!! I gave all the statistics in laymen terms about schizohrenia prognosis. I left the mother in an array of hope without false reassurance. Yet I failed that station and WITHOUT any area of concern. The college should do an audit of all the marking sheets and find out who are the examiners failing the students without any concern regarding their capability. The college should also make their marksheets more objective and mould them FULLY (not partly) according to the secenario. Their is no point in having a tickbox of &quot:lol:epth of History Explored' in 'Schizophrenia explanation' station. What would the examiner do if the checklist is of history taking and station is of explanation.

I wish that the college looks into that matter and take appropriate action. I am sure that officials from the college do read our messages.

Afterlife I'm afraid I don't understand this

I wish that the college looks into that matter and take appropriate action. I am sure that officials from the college do read our messages

Has there been any indication in the past that they do that?

I think they do read guys. They are quite paranoid about SEC ;)

I think they do read guys. They are quite paranoid about SEC ;)

Yeah and believe that their thoughts are being interfered with :lol:

I thought that this exam was fairer to the previous format!!

Obviously not :-?

Best of luck for the next time

I thought that this exam was fairer to the previous format!!

Obviously not :-?

Best of luck for the next time

No lad it is more consistent.....but that could mean consistently unfair, unless the examiners been sleeping......for some people and not for others :lol:

If the exminers don't highlight an area of concern then they shouldn't fail. Must raise it with college.

I personally think that this is a very good ground for appeal. An area of concern is the framework within which an examiner needs to scrutinise a candidate's performance. It is the only way of incorporating some sort of objectivity into the exam which otherwise is purely a subjective exam(as their are no grades within areas of concerns) as well as a handicapped process (as an examiner needs to formulate his opinion both objectively and subjectively within 7 minutes unlike part 1 where checklisting made the task easier). It is erroneous on part of an examiner to fail a candidate outside the parameters or scope of the exam. Simply put if an examiner is not concerned about the key areas of performance he has no right to fail you.

It is immaterial whether you passed 11 or 5 stations, if I were you I will still appeal or atleast bring to fore my concerns by writing a letter. Otherwise such mistakes will continue to cause casualities if they remain unnoticed.

the feedback for those that passed and those that didn't is rubbish...

email the college and say so.

it's difficult for the college to justify it's handling of the CASC feedback if it can't give it's trainees any useful educational guidance at the most critical time