Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justice

THE CASC VS OTHER ROYAL COLLEGE EXAMS

16 posts in this topic

:) :) ;) ;) :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an exit exam, how difficult, subjective, objective and fair is the CASC exam compared to other Royal College exams of the same level/equivalence?

Your views, comments and opinions are welcome.

This is indicated by the the college website...they use standardised methods to set the pass mark.

Yet the assessments themselves have a degree of subjectivity.....the pass mark is based on the global assessment.

I for one doubt that examiner standards are equal as they have one day of training in the whole year.

Compared to other exams....do you think they would have checklist (objective approach) in any other branch?

Other exams would have a checlist as opposed to the global rating and the assessment of level of communication skills we need.

So the exam is inherently subjective------but does it have safeguards against subjectivity that would have no bearing in the exam.....NO.

If the college wants to really improve our skills and make us better psychiatrists and is interested in enabling trainees to pass and progress in their career why dont they put up some videos like they had for OSCEs???? We dont need a lot only a few would give us some useful insight into what exactly they are looking for????? Beacuse until now we are just shooting in the dark. I dont mean any disrespect to the people who passed but everyone who has passed is just assuming that they have done everything right and they passed because of what they did but may be they passed inspite of what they did.

If the college wants to really improve our skills and make us better psychiatrists and is interested in enabling trainees to pass and progress in their career why dont they put up some videos like they had for OSCEs???? We dont need a lot only a few would give us some useful insight into what exactly they are looking for????? Beacuse until now we are just shooting in the dark. I dont mean any disrespect to the people who passed but everyone who has passed is just assuming that they have done everything right and they passed because of what they did but may be they passed inspite of what they did.

The college is going to do make some sample videos but they might not appear before the exam...........

RCPsych exams have become a joke now

I donot agree. Nothing will change by complaining. If Royal College exams are a joke not a standard, why all of you are so keen to appear in these so called joke exams.

Please stop JOKING around. If royal college exams are joke, even then people leave their home lands, come to UK , spend money on courses and still wants to have MRCPSYCH after their name.

The truth and reality is that you and us, we are just bringing our frustations out, actually we all are so keen to complete MRCPSYCH and move ahead in careers.

you are not forced to stay in psychiatry and give these joke exams, its your choice. Its shocking that people wants to be part of the system, which they complain about everyday and call it as a joke.Dont be a joker then, do something.atleast stop making such statements

I donot agree. Nothing will change by complaining. If Royal College exams are a joke not a standard, why all of you are so keen to appear in these so called joke exams.

Please stop JOKING around. If royal college exams are joke, even then people leave their home lands, come to UK , spend money on courses and still wants to have MRCPSYCH after their name.

The truth and reality is that you and us, we are just bringing our frustations out, actually we all are so keen to complete MRCPSYCH and move ahead in careers.

you are not forced to stay in psychiatry and give these joke exams, its your choice. Its shocking that people wants to be part of the system, which they complain about everyday and call it as a joke.Dont be a joker then, do something.atleast stop making such statements

Huh Lagan.... :-? :-? I guess you are feeling better now !!

It seems you have lots of faith towards exams and appear quite protective towards the College.

However you must remember this is a system, and no system is perfect, For eg: we complain global warming but still continue driving cars. We complain price hikes but still continue shopping like ther is no tommorow, we complain when it is raining and moan when it is hot.

If you know about 'good breast-bad breast' you can get more understanding of whats happening here.

Yes people are taking out their frustrations (and they have right to do so)-because they are frustrated.

Just because you have chosen a career, you don't have to put up with everything, and also you don't have to keep your head down & mouth shut (we are not slaves just because we chosed to work remember), and also please bear in the mind that you need to stay in the system to improve the way it works, that is how a system goes through phases of evolution.

I am sure everybody is equally as keen as 'yourself' to pass the exams and to move ahead in the careers and its good to have a safe enough place like SEC to venitilate frustration which we all face during the course of this journey and i do not see anything wrong in it.

It will be interesting to see what others think..!!

you might wish to pay some attention to your grammar by the way :lol: :lol: :lol::D :D :D

and lagan you use the word joke in one form or another 7 times....are you trying to set a record?

and BTW just to rub it in----they are an the exam is an antic,caper,put on,prank and charade........

We all want to appear for it as the college has a monopoly on the psychiatry degrees that allow you to progress ----which is why they have a Royal Charter----its that simple, unless you can think of another way to get into higher training as a doctor.

Also you cannot ask people to stop people making statements, you can only encourage people to think differently, but you must know that already being a psychiatrist.

Anyway good luck with your exams and hope you don't suffer as much as others have

and lagan you use the word joke in one form or another 7 times....are you trying to set a record?

and BTW just to rub it in----they are an antic,caper,put on,prank and charade........

We all want to appear for it as the college has a monopoly on the psychiatry degrees that allow you to progress ----which is why they have a Royal Charter----its that simple, unless you can think of another way to get into higher training as a doctor.

Also you cannot ask people to stop people making statements, you can only encourage people to think differently, [highlight]but you must know that already being a psychiatrist[/highlight].

Anyway good luck with your exams and hope you don't suffer as much as others have

as far as the college goes the only thing you need to know is how to talk like an air hostess/steward as the case may be...

'hello im dr such and such and im going to be your psychiatrist today...

do you want to kill someone??? please tell me more...Would you like a bottle of wine before you do that...

you want benzos?... i would be happy to assist you...' :D :D :D :evil: :evil:

Anyhow...

Im sorry for my sojourn into the ridiculous but this lagan person has really got my goat! :P

yup.......I just admire lagan's faith in things.....like fairness standards etc...maybe things are just simpler for some people

do you want to kill someone??? please tell me more...Would you like a bottle of wine before you do that...

you want benzos?... i would be happy to assist you...'

Ha haa haa hilarious... :lol: :lol:

I think you have a long way to go before getting disillusioned, enjoy your your fantasy world till it lasts.. 8-)

its that simple, unless you can think of another way to get into higher training as a doctor.

yes- go to the US and take the board exams then come back o the UK and use these as equivalence- oh no that might actually be hard

try working, reading books, seeing patients, stop complaining

into higher training as a doctor.

why not retrain as a nurse- could be an RC

or an OT- for some emergency jigsaws

might suit you