Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
govind

agoraphobia-explain desensitisation

19 posts in this topic

kindly pardon me if this has been discussed before, any ideas how to approach this station which came up on last day in Spring CASC ?

can u paste the instructions to candidate for this station as u did for agitated depression one.

i think the instructions were - explain desensitisation therapy to this lady who has been diaganosed with agoraphobia. address her concerns ,do not take history of agorophobia

I dont see it as a tricky station at all. u just need to explain, simple as that.

I dont see it as a tricky station at all. u just need to explain, simple as that.

Bedazzled

It may be easy for you but not for others. Kindly guide us how to approach this station and what are the pitfalls of this station. If it was that simple, all of us must have passed the CASC a long time ago.

After life, The lady was v.anxious, all u need to keep ur explaination simple and reassuring.

Practice it infront of a camera.

Bless u

Afterlife, what I meant was that its the simplest of scenarios you can get in a CASC. You dont need to look for pitfalls or hidden agendas etc. The actor in my station wasnt anxious at all. I just explained the damned thing without her being awkward. Not sure what ur experience was.

That is good bedazzled. Could you please share what points to be covered like what would be the structure or in other words checklist of this station? Like I want some theory for this station.

How often will be the sessions?

No. of sessions?

How long will one session last?

Will I get better?

Who will provide therapy?

I can't go out? How will I attend the sessions then?

Going out of the house? No I can't do that. I can't even think of that?

Making hierarchy of things?

What examples to be given for Hierarchy?

What will be my husband's role in this therapy? or husband asking how can I help my wife with this therapy?

Do I need to  continue the medication or not?

Shall I stop the medication?

Offer any written info on desensitization?

Checking understanding of what she knows already knows?

What does she exactly wants to know about desensitization?

What other supports patient will have?

Shall I die during the  therapy?

Kindly share the answers to all these queries.

Many thanks

afterlife

the answer to majority of these qs u posed is simple common sense. for example the no and frequency of sessions will have to be agreed between therapist and patient, the therapist can make arrangements for her to be seen at home, she can go out with someone she trusts at the start of the sessions, she will continue to take her tabs, u r going to provide her written info etc etc. as I said earlier its the simplest of the tasks and u r expected to be confident, fluent and believable when u explain the therapy. so my suggestion is to develop ur own way of explaining it in a couple of mins without hesitating, faltering and rrepeating self so that both the examiner and actor know that u have done it many times before and are not just regurgitating stuff u read in a book just before the exam.

well, I failed this station with a 'C', reason was given ' not focusing on task' , so I am thinking what I was talking about????!!!!!!!!! >:(

1. You need to have an idea about what you are going to do in Sys des

a. I will teach you progressive musle relaxation in the first few session. (atleast 3- 4 sessions with practise homework)

b. then we will create a list of things that make you most anxious to the least anxious. (atleast a session)

c. Then we apply these relaxation strategies in sessions to get you relaxed, and when you ahve achieved full relaxation, we would imagine you are in the situation that makes you least anxious and once you have mastered the first situation, we graduate to more severe anxiety provoking scenarios in further sessions...

[All this helps if you have done a couple of sys des yourself on some of the patient... the best would be to have a behavioural exercise designed towards this in one of your CBT short cases]

2. To answer questions like - will I improve? and how many sessions will it take... you obviously need to do a bit of theory based reading... to answer and you should quote literature for this bit...

Will I die during therapy???

There has not been any reports of people dying due to the direct effects of therapy... but all people alive are likely to die at some point in time... and it could happen during therapy... :)

There has not been any reports of people dying due to the direct effects of therapy...   but all people alive are likely to die at some point in time... and it could happen during therapy...  :)

;) ;)

Good statements Dorian, but I would not use them all myself. I would use the bold and underlined.

There has not been any reports of people dying due to the direct effects of therapy...   but all people alive are likely to die at some point in time... and it could happen during therapy...  :)

Of course Justice...

;) ;)

Good statements Dorian, but I would not use them all myself. I would use the bold and underlined.

;) ;)

Of course Justice...