Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sari

4th attempt casc

58 posts in this topic

I have taken CASC 3 attempts with no success.Please can anyone let me know if I could give a try in october 2009 and if so whats are the things we need to include with the application.

My paper 3 is valid till Jan 2010.

I have taken CASC 3 attempts with no success.Please can anyone let me know if I could give a try in october 2009 and if so whats are the things we need to include with the application.

You seem to be in a similar position to mine. No need to send in anything with the application. Your college tutor needs to sign it thats all. Can you update ur profile so that we know whether u have passed PartI or new paper 1 and 2?

Why should you think you will be disqualified? Is there anything from the college to indicate this?

The college has clearly stated paper 3/part 1 can be banked till 2010, so where's the confusion.

1. I have my 2 friends from Ireland who have to take the 4th attempt now and they say that all you need is an additional letter of support from your tutor. The rest is the same that complete the form.

2. About Kreely's query: Kreely you were lucky enough to pass the CASC in June 2008 and I hope that you can well imagine the pain we are in. The college initially near June 2008 indicated that you will have 18 months and 3 attempts. I suppose that the college later chenged their decision and decided to allow all possible (4) attempts in 18 months. I know you are talking about disqualification for Oct. 2009 only but what happens after that if you flunk once again:

[*]If you are in UK you have to restart with paper 1 and do PACES etc.

[*]If you are in Ireland then irish college will start its own exam by 2011 and you have to wait for that.

If you are in UK you have to restart with paper 1 and do [highlight]PACES[/highlight] etc.

what is paces afterlife.heard about that in an mrcp context. ::)

Sorry ACES

Irish people haven't to do it and that is why I did not know.

1. I have my 2 friends from Ireland who have to take the 4th attempt now and they say that all you need is an additional letter of support from your tutor. The rest is the same that complete the form.

2. About Kreely's query: Kreely you were lucky enough to pass the CASC in June 2008 and I hope that you can well imagine the pain we are in. The college initially near June 2008 indicated that you will have 18 months and 3 attempts. I suppose that the college later chenged their decision and decided to allow all possible (4) attempts  in 18 months. I know you are talking about disqualification for Oct. 2009 only but what happens after that if you flunk once again:

[*]If you are in UK you have to[highlight] restart with paper 1 and do PACES etc. [/highlight][*]If you are in Ireland then irish college will start its own exam by 2011 and you have to wait for that.  

Restart with Paper 1...are you serious?...I would rather jump off the train....0r will remain as Munnabhai forever...

2. About Kreely's query: Kreely you were lucky enough to pass the CASC in June 2008 and I hope that you can well imagine the pain we are in. The college initially near June 2008 indicated that you will have 18 months and 3 attempts. I suppose that the college later chenged their decision and decided to allow all possible (4) attempts  in 18 months. I know you are talking about disqualification for Oct. 2009 only but what happens after that if you flunk once again:

[*]If you are in UK you have to[highlight] restart with paper 1 and do PACES etc. [/highlight][*]If you are in Ireland then irish college will start its own exam by 2011 and you have to wait for that.  

[highlight]Restart with Paper 1...are you serious?[/highlight]...I would rather jump off the train....0r will remain as Munnabhai forever...

Yes if the sorry souls(happy souls :lol:) with old part 1 dont pass CASC before July 2010, then....... back to basics and Paper 1 .

back to paper 1 ...

hehehehehheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...........

which train will be the best voyager or pendilino??!!

I question myself ,

why I choose to work in Psychiatry?

Why I have to appear this Shit exam?

Can I ever pass myexam?

Next time I may score even worse than now.

Should I leave this country?

What to do ,I have no idea.I feel that Royal College is messing up with our lives.Untill and unless some body takes them to court ,they are not going to change their attitude.

From the exam regulations on the College website:

'Re-sitting CASC (after 3 attempts)

Candidates who have had 3 unsuccessful attempts at the CASC OR exceeded the 48 month time period must have letters of support from College Tutor (All PMETB Approved Post holders).

For non-PMETB/Overseas post holders Head of School of Psychiatry (overseas) or Director of Medical Education (UK) should submit letters of support.

Letters from sponsors should acknowledge that the candidate has already had 3 attempts at the CASC and that additional training has been given in preparation for further attempts at the MRCPsych examination

Candidates should meet the eligibility requirements which include a valid pass in Paper 3 and a valid sponsorship form for each attempt.'

And for the time limit for Paper 3, you can take any no. of CASC attempts as long as those attempts fall within 635 days of the date of passing of Paper 3. So the max no. of attempts is typically 4 (for those who are taking it the fourth time in Oct '09, like me, it would be the last attempt). The old part 1 is anyhow valid only until July 2010.

if I dont pass paper 3 by july 2010 then Im leaving anyways... why bother with an exam that is beyond my limited intelligence

Dear peechoo

I exactly feel same way but still I beleive we all will pass. its not intelligence, its luck. I know some body passed CASC at 6th attempt, nobody will ask how many attempts u taken, certificate will be the same. we have to start our hard work again for August.

I know some body passed CASC at 6th attempt,

I thought there had only been three CASCs so far....

Sorry, started with old system, appeared 3 times(long cases and PMPs) then started CASC-altogether 6 attempts.

Hey guys chin up

Im a uk trainee and I failed twice and passed this time.

The key is COURSES.

I went on three- the spmm is awesome.

And the exam so many repeats from course come up your sorted.

Please take this advice and have another shot as ive been there

I do not agree with you happychap...The key point is the impression examiners take in the first few seconds of the station,before you start talking-this depends on ............

and wearing a skirt.

I learned from the royal college:

How to be money oriented,,,,,,,,,,

How to take (big decisions0 for the patients in a way I like-even if these decisions (ditch) my patients down the earth

Also I learned that (Chance ) (physical appearance) (accent) are key points

It does not make sence that the stations I failed this time are exactly the same one I passed (with As) in the previuos CASC.

I failed stations like FLE.........I do not think anybody could do better than I did.

THE BIGGEST ENEMY IS ROYAL COLLEGE (LET THE WISDOM GUIDE)

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Treat the patients like the way royal colege treat us

Hey guys chin up

The key is COURSES.

You went on 3. I went on 15. The courses just tell where you are in terms of performance. Yes there is some learning as well. The courses have a very good predictive validity and if you are failing a course you it is almost understood that you will fail the real exam too.

I do not agree with you happychap...The key point is the impression examiners take in the first few seconds of the station,before you start talking-this depends on ............

[highlight]and wearing a skirt.[/highlight]

I learned from the royal college:

How to be money oriented,,,,,,,,,,

How to take (big decisions0 for the patients in a way I like-even if these decisions (ditch) my patients down the earth

[highlight]Also I learned that (Chance ) (physical appearance) (accent) are key points[/highlight]

It does not make sence that the stations I failed this time are exactly the same one I passed (with As) in the previuos CASC.

[highlight]I failed stations like FLE.........I do not think anybody could do better than I did.[/highlight]

THE BIGGEST ENEMY IS ROYAL COLLEGE (LET THE WISDOM GUIDE)

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It is natural in these circumstances to feel this way, I have such moments myself when I get very angry bcoz I cannot explain what has happened, but may be that is not the best way forward. I failed capacity assessment in the Nov CASC being examined by the SAME EXAMINER who had examined me in the same station doing exactly the same things and asking the same questions in one of the courses I went to, where she had passed me.

I cannot change my appearance and become a Madonna or a Britney in 6 months. I am what I am. I may be able to shed a few pounds(lbs!!!!!, I am already shedding loads of£s :lol:) that I have accumulated sitting and practising for the various exams in the last 3 yrs, thanks to the RC. I cannot change the idiosyncracies of the examiners but I can sit and study and practise (even if it means gaining a few more pounds) and I can certainly wear a skirt. ;)

Hey guys chin up

The key is COURSES.

You went on 3. I went on 15. The courses just tell where you are in terms of performance. Yes there is some learning as well. The courses have a very good predictive validity and if you are failing a course you it is almost understood that you will fail the real exam too.

>:( >:( :( :(:o :o

I think this exam is becoming farcical! I failed the exam, but attended some courses and my performances in the courses were generally good (according to those who examined me). This performance has not been replicated in the CASC and I feel very cheated when I see my CASC scores and the stations I failed and recall what I did in these stations. Some of the scoring/marking is clearly aberrant and downright insulting! For e.g., I was given a D in a station where there were no areas of concerns highlighted. Is this possible?

The College claims the exam is objective and the scoring system is highly validated and reliable. Why is that candidates are failed in some of the exact stations they previously had and passed (some even scored As only to be given Ds this time around)?

Where is the justice? The feedback, frankly speaking, in my opinion, is crap and does not go far enough in aiding candidates to prepare better for their next attempt. For an exam of that magnitude (and very expensive too), you need a detailed feedback. It's not very useful making blanket statements/expressions like lack of appropriate focus on task, harmful interaction, etc. Candidates need to know what they did wrong, including expressions they used deemed inappropriate, etc.

I am having alls sorts of thoughts. Are we expected to be so consistent in using the same expressions, words and stock phrases in our actual interactions with our patients every single time??? How in Gods name are we expected to mind read exactly what sentence the RC and the specific examiner sitting in front of us is expecting? I have been told by a friend who has been told by an examiner that if the role player says this specific sentence, the candidate should say this specific sentence. I mean how ridiculous is that ? Is it not nitpicking???? OSCEs were a much more objective test of clinical skills. We should be able to assess thought disorder, delusions, first rank symptoms, cognitive examinations, risk assessment etc etc etc competently but why in this ridiculous manner why why why??????

That elusive thin line between checklist on one hand and appearing empathic/listening and responding to patient's cues, range and depth of enquiry, appropriate focus on task. Nobody has bothered to teach me anything about this at work. I dont know. Extremely confused. I might resign and pack my bags and go. Let them search for a locum.  

so now at least some people agree that wearing a skirt helps... i feel vindicated ....

as far as exam goes if course has any good predictve validity why do people who do well in courses and fail in casc.

and my apologies to happychap dint want to hurt ur ego... its actually my ego who has been crushed...

why is it that sometime u look at people and can predict that they wil pass... is that face predictive validity...

why is it that at some stations two areas of concern and its a fail, and in another three areas of concern and still a pass..

why is that on same day... two od cases, i fail one and pass another...

why why why why why

i might not be the best, i might not be leena palanniyappan, but i know i am better than some who have passedd...

next time to shit with empathy... just check list...

one day will come.. when day i will be old.. a miserable old staff grade... whose children go to state school... i will still be giving exams.... one day they will give me honorary pass in casc.

cos that is the purpose of thes exams.. to generate as many fails as possible.. its a staff grade generating machine..... to make people hopeless. so that they leave it and go...

the same purpose was of mtas, mmc...

the same purpose is of PMETB who has now stated that for those stil had the grit to apply and come back into training at ct2 3 levels should have started at year 1 , otherwise even if they ebcome sprs they will have to get ccst through article 14....

funny thing 40 percent of doctors in nhs asians, 90 percent of sasg asians...

still no unity... no pOwer.. each after his own.... no help... just exploitation...

but i wont budge... its anothet 1500-1600 pounds again... so be it.....

IT WILL STOP ONE DAY.... AFTERLIFE... UR GRIT IS MY INSPRATION...

AND ONE DAY WHEN I PASS I WONT GO TO THE CEREMONDY.. I WONT PAY MY YEARLY FEES. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY I SUD...

THAT WILL BE MY OWN NONCOOPERATIVE MOVEMENTS... THAT WILL BE MY GANDHIGIRI...

I NOW KNOW WHY PEOPLE BOIL WHEN INJUSTICE IS DONE TO THEM... WHY PEOPLE REVOLT ... WHY REVOLUTION HAPPEN.... WHY PERSONALITIES CHANGE... WHY WHY WHY WHY......

WHY IS EXAM IN SHEFFIELD...

WHY AM I NOT SENT YEARLY FINANCIAL REPORT OF COLLEGE.

WHO ARE ON PAYROLLS OF COLLEGE..

IS IT A CHARITY...?/ REALLY WHY. HOW??

WHY ARE ROYAL COLEGE EXAMINERS ALLOWED TO CONDUCT COURSES?

WHY SAME XAMINER GO TO COURSES AND THE EXAM?

WHY AN EXAMINERS PASSESS IN A COURSE AND FAILS ME IN THE EXAM?

WHAT ABOUT PROBITY AND CONFLICT OF INTEREST?

DOES ANYONE MONITORS THESE COURSES?

WHY DOESNT A ROYAL COLLEGE REP COMES TO THESE COURSES?

WHY WHY WHY...

I WILL CANCEL MY SUMMER BREAK ... MY FAMILY ALSO HAS TO SUFFER... COS THEIR ONCE INTELLIGENT SON..... WHO USE TO TOP SKOOL.. WAS IN TOP 100 OF 400,000 PEOPLE WHO WROTE MEDICAL ENTRANCE... WENT TO ONE OF THE BEST MED SKOOL ... TOPPED IN MED SKOOL. GOT 97 98 PERCENTILE IN MLE, BUT LANDED IN UK DUE TO VISA ISSUES.. GOT ONE OF THE BEST ROTATIONS IN UK... SUDDENLY HAS LOST HIS MARBLES... CANNOT PASS 12 OUT OF 16 STATIONS..... COS THEIR ONCE INTELLIGENT HARD WORKING SON HAS TO PAY THE FEES AGAIN...

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY..........

at least one other person appears as angry as I feel. Why doesnt tha RC if so objective copy the CSA and get 3 independent examiners to mark each station. That will also give them a chance to ask for £ 2280 as exam fees???????????????????????? and bleed us more completely dry. But is there a point in asking all these questions???? We are here, this si the system that has preferred 40% over the rest of the 60% and how do we find out what do those 40% have that we havent?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I thought u had passed ninth_sin.