Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neeraj_Bajaj

Can someone explain this???

9 posts in this topic

In the new ST for one to progress from ST3 to ST4 or advanced training

Prior to commencing advanced training it is expected that trainees will have reached the competency level of ST3 including passing all components of the MRCPsych examinations. The permitted timeframes for the examinations includes remedial training times at core levels.

but then

Eligibility during the Transition Period 01/08/2007-31/07/2010

All trainees who enter run through training at ST 2 or ST3 and hold MRCPsych Examination Part 1 may enter to sit Paper 3 and ,if successful, may go on to sit the OSCE under the previous eligibility criteria (see www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/RegulationsJune2006.pdf) for a period of three years from 1st August 2007-31st July 2010. A pass at Paper 3 can be 'banked' for 18 months following the first attempt at the clinical examination.

So am I going to be a ST3 for 2-3 years If i entre ST3 with Part 1 as I cant progress to ST4 without MRCPSYCH 2.

Can someone shed some light on this

I'm not sure I follow what your saying. Why would you be at ST3 for two to three years? All the college have said is that is you pass paper three you can then make repeated attempts at the new part 2 osce for 18 months before you would have to resit paper three. This is different from just now where if you fail the clinical you have to resit the whole of part 2 including the written.

CMO the rule clearly says you have to pass all components of the MRCpsych before you entre advanced training. so does that not include the OSCE.

CMO the rule clearly says you have to pass all components of the MRCpsych before you entre advanced training. so does that not include the OSCE.

If you don't pass the part two before Autumn of this year then yes you would have to do the new paper three and then complete the part two OSCE from 2008. I still don't follow why that would take two to three years though. Surely you would be eligible to sit paper three and the new osce as soon as it come in.

Thanks for the response CMO

and

All trainees who enter run through training at ST 2 or ST3 and hold MRCPsych Examination Part 1 may enter to sit Paper 3 and ,if successful, may go on to sit the OSCE under the previous eligibility criteria (see www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/RegulationsJune2006.pdf) for a period of three years from 1st August 2007-31st July 2010. A pass at Paper 3 can be 'banked' for 18 months following the first attempt at the clinical examination.

Thats why

So anyone who cant pass the OSCE in the first go what will he be doing in ST . And what is this period for then from 1st August 2007-31st July 2010 these 3 years what are they for they should just write that ST3 with part 1 have only one go at it and if not then they are out of ST , but instead they write they have 3 years

I am sure I am not able to understand here something which everyone else does so apologies for the ignorance

You don't need to apologise the college delights in making things more complicated than they actually are. The period of three years represents the period during which your original pass in the part one osce will count as paper one and paper two in the new style. If you don't secure your MRCPsych before July 2010 you would then have to start again from paper one. They have essentially given us a three year period to finish the exam.

As to run through training they have not decided at what stage you would require the exam. The last I had heard was that you would be allowed to enter ST4 but must have it by ST5. In any case you would still have Autumn in the old style then at least one go at the new style. There had been talk that the College was going to run more than two exam diets a year to allow people to progress faster but again not sure about definites on this. Hope this helps.

Well CMO u r Brill thanks for the info man

Where do u get all this info have u got a girl friend working for the Royal college or what ;)

So am I going to be a ST3 for 2-3 years If i entre ST3 with Part 1 as I cant progress to ST4 without MRCPSYCH 2.

Can someone shed some light on this

you will pass this time m8

entering st3 with part2

year to relax and build up your cv

Thanks Pratish for the reassurance I think the same for YOU its going to be Forensic for You man

By the way I got Head Injury with frontal lobe features as Long case thats why I was whining