Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
psychiatry06

if jobless then cant do exam? is it true?

25 posts in this topic

can anybody clarify, if somebody fails part-1 this spring and doesnt manage to get a training post in August, then can he take the exam again in Autumn?

as per current guidelines NO

person need to be in training post not just any job.

I mean somebody appearing in spring obviously completed one year in training post, but failed this spring, but no jobs st/ftsa in August '07 in MMC then will he or she will be allowed to give exam?

I mean somebody appearing in spring obviously completed one year in training post, but failed this spring, but no jobs st/ftsa in August '07 in MMC then will he or she will be allowed to give exam?

NO

some staff grade posts are recognised for training and you can sit for exam.

if you are jobless at time of applying/sitting for exam then you cant take exam even though you already sat in past

:-/thanks for the information but very bad news for me, as no shortlisting for mmc, couldnt clear theory

It's not bad news - you have your job until August '07 and there is another round of examinations later this year.

Take a well deserved break, spend time with friends and family, and then get back into revising.

Slartbartfast has a great post on passing the Part 1.

Try and go on the SuperEgo, Manchester, and Cambridge courses (if you're flush with cash!).

If not- do TONNES of ISQs and read around the answers.

You'll pass with flying colours in a few months and will be smiling in relief from your ST job from Round 2.

It's not bad news - you have your job until August '07 and there is another round of examinations later this year.

[highlight]Take a well deserved break, spend time with friends and family, and then get back into revising.

Slartbartfast has a great post on passing the Part 1.

Try and go on the SuperEgo, Manchester, and Cambridge courses (if you're flush with cash!).

If not- do TONNES of ISQs and read around the answers.

You'll pass with flying colours in a few months and will be smiling in relief from your ST job from Round 2.

[/highlight]

thanks so much for such a positive reply, are you sure, even if Idont have a job in August still I can apply for Autumn exam?

thanks so much for such a positive reply, are you sure, even if Idont have a job in August still I can apply for Autumn exam?

All the SHOs in my trust have their contracts at least until August 2007 - I assumed this would be the case around the UK.

ST only comes into effect then - you should still be able to garner an SHO job until August.

My understanding is that you can still sit, as you will be in a training post when you apply. Check with your local college tutor, they will be able to set you right.

can I ask how one gets educational approval for a staff grade post??

this is done by the tutor.speak to him first.he'll apply to the local deanery and then the college describing your job,ongoing cpd activities,oncall commitments,supervision etc.you will have to supply a job plan.it should not take long and is usually approved as long as your tutor is on the case.good luck.

Aron,

why dont you delete this post of yours? Concentrate on the title 'If Jobless.......'

this is done by the tutor.speak to him first.he'll apply to the local deanery and then the college describing your job,ongoing cpd activities,oncall commitments,supervision etc.you will have to supply a job plan.it should not take long and is usually approved as long as your tutor is on the case.good luck.

I wonder why this applies to Psychiatry alone.

It doesn't work like this in other specialities like Medicine, Surgery, OBG, Paeds etc.

Can't understand whats the logic behind being in a training post.

At least, they should let those who have completed their training to take their exams

rather than insisting they be in training post.

It doesn't work like this in other specialities like Medicine, Surgery, OBG, Paeds etc.

At least, they should let those who have completed their training to take their exams

I wish Royal college would agree to it !!!

DKS

just saw this.oops sorry i didn't concentrate on the start ot the thread ,so my post above is not relevant.by the way how do you delete a posted message?thanks

Aron, not to worry.

I think its bit too late now to delete your post. For the first few days after a post, you get an option of deleting or modifying your post on the top right hand corner of the box.

I wish Royal college would agree to it !!!

Well, if they did that would have been a handsome earning.

Many would have happily completed their training and lrft without regret.

perhaps it's worth writing a letter to RCPsych signed by as many of us as possible asking the college to accept doctors taking MRCpsych without being in a training job following a few grace years form MMC blow-up.

any chance?

perhaps it's worth writing a letter to RCPsych signed by as many of us as possible asking the college to accept doctors taking MRCpsych without being in a training job following a few grace years form MMC blow-up.

any chance?

worth a try, at the worst, they may say 'No'. Nothing to lose. Its better than not writing to them at all.

I got this reply from RCPsych for the new curriculum:

Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your query.

All trainees who enter run through training at ST 2 or ST3 may enter to sit the Paper 3 and OSCE if they hold MRCPsych Examination Part 1 under the previous eligibility criteria for a period of three years from 1st August 2007-31st July 2010.

All trainees who enter run through training at ST2 or 3 who do not hold the MRCPsych Examination Part 1 under the previous eligibility criteria may enter to sit Paper 1 and 2 for a period of three years from 1st August 2007-31st July 2010. They must complete the new criteria for the OSCE to take Paper 3 and the OSCE.

Trainees who enter at ST1 must fulfill the new eligibility criteria.

Regarding staff grade posts, the College has not yet made a decision as to whether staff grade posts will count towards the eligibility criteria for the new format of the Examination. Once a decision is reached on this, it will be published on the College website.

Training undertaken abroad, eg, New Zealand or Australia, can be accredited for training purposes, provided it has been given prospective approval by PMETB. &nbsp:lol:etails of how to get posts approved can be found on the PMETB website. &nbsp:lol:etails of new equivalent eligibility criteria, ie, overseas posts will be announced shortly.

So there is something about overseas training/eligibility.

What about being in an FTSTA post? Can u still sit for exam?

Thanks

FTSTA is a recognised training post (Much similar to the 6 month stand alone training posts at present) and hence one should be able to sit the exam.

could you please,somebody tell me,can I sit in part-1 if I don,t job.

last date for part-1 is 24th may and I do not think that I will get any job..

please give me an advise.