Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dr_mrehman

Recenty movers from SHO to SG.

13 posts in this topic

Can any one pl clearify, am now a staff grade, with part 1 MRCPych. If i remain in SG post, can i still appear for part 3 and 4 in the new system?

Can any one pl clearify, am now a staff grade, with part 1 MRCPych. If i remain in SG post, can i still appear for part 3 and 4 in the new system?

i think you should direct that question to dinesh bhugra or the education dept of the royal college. just to make sure the autheticity of any info u get

According to the 'old' (current) system, you can sit the exams as a Staff Grade. The only requirement is that you are in an approved post (approved for training). You should write to Dr Anne Bird, Associate Dean, at the College and ask for approval. She will require a copy of your job plan/timetable and the duties of your post. One of the requirements is that you have weekly educational (not clinical) supervision from your consultant.

The approval cannot be retrospective.

I doubt this will change in future, but Dr Bird should be able to tell you.

hey, but arent staff grades supposed to be getting only clinical supervision in their jobs, as they r non training posts. what happens if after failed 2nd attempt u want to give exams. what do u mean that approval should not be retrospective?

Staff Grades usually get clinical supervision but not educational supervision. That's why the post has to become a training one by introducing educational supervision (as well as making sure you get study time, audit...)

The approval granted by the Associate Dean (Dr Bird) will not be retrospective, i.e. you cannot apply to sit the exam and later on ask for a retrospective approval of your post.

If you have any doubts, contact Dr Bird at the College; she should be able to clarify what you need to do.

err, how does one go about getting EDUCATIONAL supervision than clinical.? my supervisor has made it veryclear tht she is only my clinical supervisor from day1!! :-/ :-/

Well, that's where you have to talk to your consultant and try to get her on board. If she doesn't want to get involved, maybe you can try the College Tutor... I'm not sure what would be the minimum you'd require. The College won't be checking on you, but your consultant and the College Tutor will have to give you a reference to be able to sit the exam.

With the new system things may change though as, according to the College website, those who are not on a ST post, will have to demonstrate they meet all the eligibility criteria. It doesn't say anything on whether you should remain on a training post or not... ( http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/MRCPsych%20Assessment%20Programme%20Final%2020of3.pdf )

Check it with the College.

Thanks again, Oreta, I do appreciate your helpful advice.

Thanks Buddies, for all ur valuable suggestions.

I wrote to the college , as suggested but was told that that bit is still unclear.However i have been directed to someone else and am waiting for her reply.[highlight]

Will feed it back to you.

Mrehman

It is clear on the college web site that you will be allowed to sit the exam during the transition period, as long as you fullfil the criteria for the old system i.e 6 months in developmental psychiatry and 30 months in total.

I think if you have some overseas experience it will count but not for Part 2 purposes. With the new system, you may need to submit CbD as a requirement for the exam. This is not as difficult as you may think. You may even submit few C & A CbD while working in any other speciality !! e.g as a special interest. The bottom line, have you completed the requirement under the current system?? If yes I think you will be able to carry on taking Paper 3 during the transition period.

By the way, may I take this chance to ask forum members for study partners for Paper 3 in Spring 2008?? I started collecting some materials for Best of Five questions but would be good to have some online partners, specially that I am moving to a new training schemee and do not know anyone up there in Scotland.

Good luck everyone

Nader

It is clear on the college web site that you will be allowed to sit the exam during the transition period, as long as you fullfil the criteria for the old system i.e 6 months in developmental psychiatry and 30 months in total.
In the old system, you don't need 6 months in either LD or C&A to sit the exam, although you do need it to obtain your Membership.

u need to be in a training approved job to sit old MRCPsych exams unless its the second attempt (further attempts u do also). Not clear whether SGs will be able to do new exam - i've emailed college about this - keep saying their still deciding about this. :-/