Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maheshinw

FTSTA can't do exams?

11 posts in this topic

the eligibility criteria for the paper 3 says that trainees who enter ST2/ST3 and hold part 1 can go on to sit the part 3 paper and OSCE in spring 08. But there are no mention of trainees in FTSTA jobs who have part 1. I contacted the royal college, the answer I got is that it hasn't been worked out yet. I feel outraged, I thought because FTSTA is a training grade that eligibility to sit the exams were automatic, and is the reason why I didn't take up staff grade.

Any one able to shed light on this matter?

I think FTSTA is exactly the same as ST 3 in terms of training and supeervision. You will be required to sumbit CbD to the college as outlined in the eligibility criteria. FTSTA posts are approved for training by the PMETB and I do not think the college can say otherwise.

It doesn't sound right to me that people on a FTSTA won't be able to sit exams, as FTSTAs are meant to be training posts. But who knows?

If you don't get a satisfactory answer, go to the top: ask the Dean.

or Prof Bateman who is the chief examiner...

I asked the college and the reply was that yes, it hasnot been worked out properly yet but if I am in a training post (staff grade approved for training) then i am Ok for future exam.I have recently joined as a SG.

Any comments pl. ?

I hope people in jobs can take exams. I would really advice people not to contact royal college as their only answer will be'' we are not sure''. They are so secretive. Wish you guys good luck

if SG jobs are approved a training job by definition should also be approved

I asked the college and the reply was that yes, it hasnot been worked out properly yet but if I am in a training post (staff grade approved for training) then i am Ok for future exam.I have recently joined as a SG.

Any comments pl. ?

If you are working as a SG and want to sit the exams, you need to seek approval prospectively. Being in a SG job doesn't automatically make you eligible to sit the exams.

yes oreta but until the college itseld doesn't come up with a rule (which exists for SG) I don't see any point in banging our heads against the wall

they'll have to allow some time for people to do what they are asked

I spoke to the Royal College yesterday and was told as long as the post is PMETB approved, we can sit the exam, so I guess FTSTAs are PMETB approved for training and hence can sit the exam?