Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smithy

preparing for part 1 and 2 and eligibity

12 posts in this topic

1) I'm just starting ST 1 and have completed 6 months in old age psychiatry prior to this. I contacted the college and they seem to think I will not be able to use this six month post and will have to complete the full one year of ST trainig before I can sit part 1 and 2.

Any thoughts on this?

2) How are people planning to prepare for the new part one and two? Which books etc?

Cheers guys

I am exactly in your shoes!

6m general adult before getting into ST1, now doing old age.

I somehow took it for granted that I could take the MRC psych!

Obviously I may have been mistaken…Do let us know if you get any more info.

:-/

The stand alone posts need to be approved by Royal College prospectively

(while you are still doing it) and not retrospectively.

I was in a similar position 18 months ago. Contacted RC while in the post and they approved it for part 1.

If your previous posts were educationally-approved you should be ok. If they were part of a rotation that was cut short by MMC then you should be ok. If however they were trust grade or equivalent then the college will have to approve them. I suggest you check with the college regardless ..

dear dear smithy

i think you definitely can take both part 1 and part2 of new mrcpsych if u complete 12 months training with the WPBA forms(4CBD WITH 8MINIACE FOR ST1 AND ST 2 LEVEL) ,moreso if you have done a ST 1 pilot post

2.recommended books-1.SIMS symptoms in the mind

2.FISH'S-CLINICAL PSYCHOPATHOLOGY

3.BASANT PURI-REVISION NOTES IN PSYCHIATRY

4.STEVEN STAHL-PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY

5.COMPANION to psychiatric studies(cannot remember authors name)

6.Shorter oxford textbook of psychiatry

7.Psychology for psychiatrists(again forgot authors name)

7.all books to be concurrently read with working out EMQ,MCQ of this website and TRIKCYCLISTS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE FROM OTHER MEMBERS would be much appreciated as to the above list . ::) ::)

I too started ST1 from August this year. Just now I had a look into the examinations calender 2008 and eligibility criteria and i found that to sit for paper 1 u need to complete 1 year mandatory training. So does that mean that I wont be able to sit for the exam in July,2008 as well......which means i can only appear in 2009...right???

Need some advice please!!

The best advice is to write to the college. I have also heard that the frequency of exams may increase from next year. I think they may allow trainees to sit the July exam but who knows

hi all

the new part 2 is slightly diffrent and require more than old part 1. any suggestions re corses if i want to sit both parts in new system together

8-)

hi everybody..frst time on this site.

i am a new st1 traine , joined from foundation year.

hmmm,,,,,, i think i should or lets put it have to prepare for the paper 1 / 2 ....

the list of books reekay has put seems to be like a mini library, guyz can v hav a decent list of texts for the exams.. i hav bought short oxford textbook of psychiatry and oxford handbook primarily as they were the ones i found on amazon... the oxford textbook seems like a daunting and intimidating thing to go through.

yeah i know, been there done that.....i would recomend core psychiatry, because its simple and the format is easy to understand n follow, and then u can go for oxford textbook :o