Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest aj

24 months\' Psychiatric training for Paper 3

4 posts in this topic

Could somebody be kind enough to help me sort the following problem out, please?

I have been in Psychiatry Rotation since August 2005 and I am one of the unlucky doctors who have failed to secure a ST2/FTSTA2 post this time.Since August 2007, I have been working in the same trust but the post is not deanery approved.

In August 2007, I have finished my 24 months' training in Psychiatry and I have passed the MRCPsych 1 this Autumn.

To take part in paper 3 mRCPsych, I am in transitional group now.

If you look at the eligibility criteria for paper 3, it says Trainees must have completed 24 months whole time equivalent approved training in psychiatry by the time of sitting Paper III.

There is no explanation of what this 24 months' training should include. I have done 18 months in General Adult and 6 months in Old Age.I am not understanding if I am gualifying to take paper 3  exam or not.

Other day, I phoned the Royal College exam department, and as usual they have been of no help.What I have been advised by the guy is to write to the Deputy Dean and explain my situation.

Interestingly, under the OSCE (paper 4) eligibilty criteria, the Royal College has given an explanation of 24 months training. I am not understanding whether this explanation would apply to paper 3 as well or not.

Please see the following link.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Link

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Regulations2008Final%2031-10-07.pdf

(page 8-10).

It is all quite strange.

You can write the part 3/old part 2 type, without a child posting, that much I know.

But if you need a membership, u need to have child/LD.

I don't know whether you can get a training post in LD/child outside training.

No one knows anything.

In some places, trainees stopped doing WBAs thinking that it is going to get scraped anyway.

May be we should file a law suit, against all the deaneries, for violation of human rights.

We were divided as ST, FTSTA, LAT etc with vested interests, and now people are taking advantages of it.

I think you qualify; both General Adult and Old Age (6 months ) are recognised for MRCPsych so I don't see any problems

I have the same experience - 18 months GA + 6 months OA by March. I cleared my part 1 this time and soon after called the Royal College to clarify whether I could sit for the exams - they said I could as long as the posts were training approved...