Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest LilRed

Eligibility- types of posts

3 posts in this topic

Here’s the deal: my trust offers a very interesting 1y psychotherapy post.

I’m currently an ST1 and will/have done 6m GA+6m OA (plus 6m of GA as an SHO, pre MMC)by the time I'm an ST2.

If I were to take up this 1y pschtrp post, would I be shooting myself in the foot since, in order to be eligible to take paper 3 I’d need 1 whole year of GA psychiatry by ST3 (unclear if SHO posts count…they did not allow me to sit paper 1 this time round coz they said as an ST1 I did not qualify even though I DO have more than 1y GA experience in College Approved posts)?

I tried calling the college…hopeless! They told me all the info is on line and they could not comment. Bah Humbug!

Anyone ever found themselves in a similar situation? On line info says I could try contact the exams person. Fair enough, but if I make the wrong call, by the time I’m an ST3  and applying for paper 3 its gonna be too late!

I am quite surprized that the college did nt allow you take paper I this time because you are ST1. you do seem to fulfil the requirements (unless am missing on anything) I know of an ST2 that i work with. she has done 6mths GA+6mths OA and other stuff, at present she is in child and has been told about her next placement in LD. i know she had similar concerns and is in the process of asking MD and tutor to offer her Ga instead to enable her to 5take paper III. I think you can dot he same. the good thing is everything is locally controlled, so you do have a say. Although Psychotherapy sounds interesting but it would nt help your situation. You can even request your trust to offer any other adult psych discipline like perinatal, eating disorder, etc and negotiate with college in advance to submitting application.

And...always call colleeg at two or three seperate occasions and tryt o speak to at least two different ppl, they seem to ahve 'individual take' on rules and regulations (not too much of team work going on there!!)

Good luck

Only if you have attempted old style Part 1, you can take paper 1 & 2. Otherwise you cant if you are in ST programme.