Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wicked_Witch

Paper 1&2 eligibility madness

9 posts in this topic

I can[ch8217]t take this anymore!

PLEASE somebody clarify this for me:

I have heard stories of people (ex-SHO, ST1) who took the paper 1&2 last June.

I didn[ch8217]t...coz I thought I was not eligible.

I am now an ST2+6m experience SHO and was planning to take Paper 1&2 in Nov. Alas, the college sais I can[ch8217]t coz the [ch8216]guidelines say I need to have the assessments spread over months at ST2 to qualify for paper 2[ch8217].

Is anyone like me thinking of taking paper 2?

Do you think they would allow us to TRY???

Worse come to worse, ill fail the first time? Why won[ch8217]t they even let me try??? >:(

There are 2 things here:

1. If by the time of joining the run-through training (Aug 1, 2007), you had 12 months of approved training experience that is spread over as either 12 months in general adult or 6 months GA + 6 months Old Age, then you will be considered a transitional candidate, in which case you can appear for both papers 1 and 2, irrespective of your WPBA.

2. If not, then you are a fresh candidate, in which case you will not be able to fulfil the criteria of WPBA set in the exam regulations by the time of applying for the Nov' 2008 paper 2 exams, and therefore are not eligible to apply for paper 1.

If you know you don't qualify due to the said regulations in clause 2 as I had mentioned, I'm sorry. Those are the regulations I'm afraid and the college is fully within its rights to set such regulations for its exams, cruel as they appear to be!

Good Luck. ;)

Hi Shadow cat,

I can totally understand your frustration.I am almost in your boat perhaps.I just completed my ST1 training and moved onto my first leg of ST2 training.I have worked for 6m in gen adult Psych before starting with my ST1 job in Aug 07.

I was able to sit for the paper 1 in june 08 and I managed to pass!!good for me.I was not so sure about taking exam in june as I was already rejected  once in feb on the basis of the WPBA and the spread over period.I was totally frustrated with it :'(

But,following this chaos in feb the college reviewed the criterias and came up with shortened period of spread over suggesting 7-8 m as oppose to 12m spread.My appl was accepted on the basis of the renewed rules in june.They did the same thing with the paper 2 as well with min spread over period of 7-8 m at either ST2 or ST3 level.

I would like to give a shot with the paper 2 in nov 08 BUT I wonder I could be allowed to do this as I will fall short by 2 m in terms of spread over period.I have plans of applying any way.I have asked this query for few times in this site with most responses suggesting me to give a try with paper 2 this time.

Surprisingly,I read the guidelines so called NEW one from 2009 which DOES`NT TALK ABOUT WPBA AND THE SPREAD OVER PERIOD!!VERY CHEESY I AM AS USUAL CONFUSED AGAIN!!

CHECK OUT THE LINK http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/PDF/Exams%20Eligibility%20July%202008.pdf

If any body knows anything more or differently please share with us, ::)

My question is still been asked with no clear answers ...

Thanks  ;)

guys I can sense the frustration...

I cannot see what the college is trying to do here....

if anything, I would imagine they would allow people to part with their pounds (sic) in order to sit the exam....

I guess that this is not the right place to find answers, cause it is not a SEC exam....

Best to write to the college now, i.e. well in advance, and ask the people who would allow you to sit the exam!

Good luck in any case!

There are 2 things here:

1. [highlight]If by the time of joining the run-through training (Aug 1, 2007), you had 12 months of approved training experience that is spread over as either 12 months in general adult or 6 months GA + 6 months Old Age, then you will be considered a transitional candidate, in which case you can appear for both papers 1 and 2, irrespective of your WPBA.[/highlight]

2. If not, then you are a fresh candidate, in which case you will not be able to fulfil the criteria of WPBA set in the exam regulations by the time of applying for the Nov' 2008 paper 2 exams, and therefore are not eligible to apply for paper 1.

If you know you don't qualify due to the said regulations in clause 2 as I had mentioned, I'm sorry. Those are the regulations I'm afraid and the college is fully within its rights to set such regulations for its exams, cruel as they appear to be!

Good Luck. ;)

I think number 1 applies only to those who enter in aug 2007 at st2/3 levels according to the guideline. If you are at ST1 during that time then you are not considered to be in the transitional stage if I under stand it right.

There are 2 things here:

1. [highlight]If by the time of joining the run-through training (Aug 1, 2007), you had 12 months of approved training experience that is spread over as either 12 months in general adult or 6 months GA + 6 months Old Age, then you will be considered a transitional candidate, in which case you can appear for both papers 1 and 2, irrespective of your WPBA.[/highlight]

2. If not, then you are a fresh candidate, in which case you will not be able to fulfil the criteria of WPBA set in the exam regulations by the time of applying for the Nov' 2008 paper 2 exams, and therefore are not eligible to apply for paper 2.

Good Luck. ;)

I think number 1 applies only to those who enter in aug 2007 at st2/3 levels according to the guideline. If you are at ST1 during that time then you are not considered to be in the transitional stage if I under stand it right.

Do you mean to say there are people who were doing ST1 after having more than 12 months training experience in Psychiatry? There may be, but the eligibility criteria for inclusion into the run-through clearly stated that you can not apply for ST1 if you already had 12 months training in the field you were applying for!

I was practically told off for asking for clarification of the guidelines last Feb(college person said it was [ch8216]perfectly clear on the internet[ch8217]...my FOOT!).I thought that was it so I didn[ch8217]t even consider the possibility they might have changed the guidelines AGAIN by June. SO...I missed my chance to take paper 1 in June...

How will they know?

Sposed I were to apply sneakily, without having [ch8216]sprrreadd[ch8217] my assessments...how would they KNOW?

Doesn[ch8217]t it all depend on my college tutor?

There are 2 things here:

2. If not, then you are a fresh candidate, in which case you will not be able to fulfil the criteria of WPBA set in the exam regulations by the time of applying for the Nov' 2008 paper 2 exams, and therefore are not eligible to apply for paper 2.

Good Luck. ;)

[highlight]Do you mean to say there are people who were doing ST1 after having more than 12 months training experience in Psychiatry? There may be, but the eligibility criteria for inclusion into the run-through clearly stated that you can not apply for ST1 if you already had 12 months training in the field you were applying for![/highlight]

I don't think you should be wondering because some people who already have membership went into ST3 :D :D :D

I was practically told off for asking for clarification of the guidelines last Feb(college person said it was ‘perfectly clear on the internet’...my FOOT!).I thought that was it so I didn’t even consider the possibility they might have changed the guidelines AGAIN by June. SO...I missed my chance to take paper 1 in June...

How will they know?

Sposed I were to apply sneakily, without having ‘sprrreadd’ my assessments...how would they KNOW?

Doesn’t it all depend on my college tutor?

Well said.

You will get it that way! ;)