Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hilal05

urgent: ....all dr preparing for mrcpsych 2009!!!!

8 posts in this topic

the fees for 2009 are outragious: written 330 pounds, and casc 740 pounds !!!!

those appearing for paper 3 in diet 1 & diet 2-2009 will not be given the opportunity to appear for the casc in the same diet.

Please, i dont know how to take a lead but we need to do something. this exam commitee are '!%$'$%'£$ out of their mind........wheres the sense in all of this.... what makes them think we can afford such fees...wheres the sense in delaying doctors in appearing for the CASC ?????

its not right...

>:(

You are absolutely right! But what can we do?

I think we should write/email our concerns to the examination office. to the Fauzan  Palekar,  Head of Examinations fpalekar@rcpsych.ac.uk,

provided on the rcpsych website !!??!!

Senior collegues , please contribute to this appeal in order to encourage more people to voice their concerns.

>:(

I think that we all need to complain to our local reps who can take it up the chain to the deanaries and college and demand an explanation for a £135 increase in the exam fees, thats a 70% increase!!! How can they justify that type of increase when the paper is marked by a computer and nearly impossible to pass!! Its a money making racket!

For once doctors stand together and do something about this rather than sitting round and complaining!

[highlight]I think that we all need to complain to our local reps who can take it up the chain to the deanaries and college and demand an explanation for a £135 increase in the exam fees, thats a 70% increase!!! How can they justify that type of increase when the paper is marked by a computer and nearly impossible to pass!! Its a money making racket![/highlight]For once doctors stand together and do something about this rather than sitting round and complaining!

Good point...the trainees in my deanery have pointed this out to me and I have forwarded the compalint to the PTC. The PTC have written to the exmas dept of the collge requesting an explanatio.

Dont hold your breadth on it, but from early indications from the discussion so far, college is tending to balme the credit crunch as the reason for such hikes and is even citing other colleges as example that theirs is still the cheapest

well, will update everybody once we receive a definite response from the college

I think it's very important to be able to take paper 3 and casc in the same examination diet rather than wait for 6 months. For me that is a bigger issue that the increase in fees.

More here from the PTC

Dear All

I have read this and other threads regarding the Paper III exam that many of you sat last month. The PTC has received lots of emails about this issue - many of which I have replied to (apologies if you are still waiting as I have not got round to them all yet).

It seems there are three main issues. I'll go through them individually with an explanation of how the PTC can help in each case:

1. The time pressure of the paper resulting from the length of the questions. This seems to be a common complaint and I will therefore raise this directly with the exams dept. Am I right in saying that this was a particular issue this sitting? I sat a pilot of Paper III last year and the questions were all fairly succinct, so if there has been a significant change this does indeed need raising.

2. The difficulty of the paper. This is harder for us to argue, but we did raise the issue earlier in the year re Paper II which resulted in some clearer guidance for candidates about what was expected. Part of the difficulty is there is currently a lack of cohesion between the exam syllabus and the curriculum. The exam dept are aware of this and a piece of work to map one onto the other is planned.

3. The 2009 exam timetable. We have already raised this with the College who have agreed to review it. I am hopeful that changes will be made to allow trainees an increased chance of progressing to ST4 in Aug 2009. It is important to keep an eye on the relevant pages of the College website and we will inform trainees of any changes via our enewsletter.

I hope this is helpful. The exam dept do listen to trainees but are keen that representation comes via the PTC. Please therefore keep your PTC reps informed of your views and feel free to email us directly at our [highlight]

ptc@rcpsych.ac.uk
[/highlight]email address, which gets automatically forwarded to a senior PTC officer (often myself).

If I have understood the issues correctly I would appreciate a reduction in the number of emails about this specific issue - I'm sure you can imagine what it is doing to my inbox! However, I'll try to keep an eye on this forum to ensure your views are represented accurately and promptly.

I hope to feed back some positive information soon.

Ollie White

Chair, Psychiatric Trainees' Committee (PTC), RCPsych.