Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfast

current scenario for imgs

10 posts in this topic

hi there ppl

am a graduate from a top med scool here in bombay n interested in taking mrcpsych in jun09.

can ne1 tell me where 2 checkif my posts in psych <2 of six months each>r valid for application .

also what r the opportunities for imgs like in the current scenario?

hi there

i emailed 3 of them asking about the validity of my posts & didn't get a reply from any of them!!

can someone plz explain the eligibility criteria for overseas doctors to set MRCPsych?

You need to get two sponsors who are members of the royal college and one being your current medical director to fill in the forms and sponsor you.

If you do that you will be able to sit the exams.

You need to get two sponsors who are members of the royal college and one being your current medical director to fill in the forms and sponsor  you.

If you do that you will be able to sit the exams.

thanx for ur reply

i finished my training program already, but i can get my sponsors who trained me already in the past

is that ok?

it will have to be wont it?:-)

eligibility criteria

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/PDF/2009_Exams_Eligibility_Criteria_and_Regs_Final_170809.pdf

you need Head of department AND medical director or equivalent to sponsor you..

ALSO completion of an assessment portfolio to show you have achieved PMETB competencies i.e. you will have to show two pieces of evidence for each competency

6 months experience in child or learning disability

6 months experience in old age

PLUS one long case psychotherapy and three short cases psychological

id also suggest getting the plab - ive a feeling you would need to learn the feel of practising medicine in the UK before you will be able to pass the exam.

Seriously, I dont think there is any way you will pass the CASC without knowing how to talk the talk and walk the uk dr style walk.

trust me on that one. im a go go rah rah kinda guy who believes anythings possible - but i have to put that caveat in.. theres no way you would pass the CASC unless you know how to talk like a UK doc.. its not so much a knowledge exam... thats already been tested with the written parts. this is more a test of communication skills and gently eliciting information.. and there are big NO NOs with practice here that would pass by unnoticed practising in India..

for e.g. you ask anyone here do you have thoughts of hurting yourself - thats a big mistake. they want you to preface it with either a link style question i.e. sometimes when people feel low they feel like hurting themselves - have you felt that way. OR in any other sensitive way.

and the quickest way to get trained in that style is doing the PLAB - working here for a few months would help too.

i wish you the best

contact

Miss L Hartley

CESR Administrator

Royal College of Psychiatrists,

17 Belgrave Square

London

SW1X 8PG

Tel: 020 7235 2351 x 139

Fax: 020 7234 7976

Email: lhartley@rcpsych.ac.uk

I heard they are starting centres in India for MRCPsych exams soon, from one of the member