Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

2008 February - Paper 1 feedback

22 posts in this topic

Please post your feedback on the Paper 1 exam. If you can remember any questions and stems, please include them. Please do not discuss answers in this thread.

Thank you and good luck!

The wordings of the questions  and the choice of the answers may differ. Please excuse for spelling errors

1.A person drinks alcohol first thing in the morning before going to office,again drinks in the lunch time and after getting home need to have at least 6 units of alcohol.What is his behaviour decribed as?

A)Obscessive behaviour

B)obscessive and compusive disorder

c)normal behaviour

D)not OCD

E)obscessive personality

2.Excessive day time sleepiness,hypnopompic hallucinations

A)Cataplexy

B)Narcolepsy

C)sleep apnoae syndrome

D)catalepsy

E)somnolence

3.  A middle aged man having ,some 2 year history of having movement disorder,memory problems,no past history of psychiatric problems,one of the parents died early from with movement disorder.

A)Huntingtons

B)Gilles Tourette Syndrome

C)Alzheimers

D)motor tic disorder

E)MS

4. Elderly man having fluctuation in consciousness,visual hallucinations and cannot turn in the bed properly.

A)Alzheimers

B)Lewy Body dementia

C)Picks Disease

D)Delirium

E)pseudo dementia

5)A boy can make difference between amount of water present in tall glass and wide mouthed glass in which stage of piagets model

A)sensori motor

B)pre operational

C)concrete operational

D)formal operational

E)convential stage

6)Term schizophrenia by

A)Bleuler

B)Krapelean

C)schneider

D)Kahlburn

E)Cade

7)dementia precox by..(same choices as above)

8))catatonia by...(same choices as above)

9)serial seven tests...

A)memory

B)attention

C)arithmatic

D)registration

E)recall

10)bipolar disorder with psychosis ,whichof the following best fits..

A)bizzare delusions

B)prominent affective symptoms and mood congruent delusions

C)systemised delusions

D)persecutory delusions

E)non prominent affective symptoms and mood congruent delusions

11)Hypomania...

A)doesnot affect psychosocial functioning

B)hallucinations

C)Bizzare delusions

D)mood congruent delusions

12) Not a risk factor for child abuse

A)child less than 1 year old

B)Physically handicaped baby

C)old age parents

D)personality disorder parent

E)neonate seperation from mother

13)which of the following not associated with Aspergers

A)child doesnot talk till age of 3

B)socially withdrawn

(rest of features typically seen in Aspergers)

14)Sence of familiarity when stored cognitive feautes come to conscious

A)Deja Vu

B)Jamais Vu

C)Recognition

D)Registration

E)Retreival

15)Clozapine effectiveness in treating Schizophrenia

A)Cade

B)Kraepelin

C)Bleurer

D)Kane

E)

16)Alexia without Agraphia seen in lesions of

A)anterior cerebral artery

B)anterior communicating artery

C)posterial cerebral artery

D)posterior communicating artery

C)posterior occipetal artery

17)A lady covers her head with cloth saying'people can hear what i am think'

A)3 rd person hallucination

B)thought broadcasst

C)thought insertion

D)thought withdrawl

E)persecutory delusions

18) similar question asking about running commentry

19)another question about echolalia...pattient reapting the words what psychiatrist says..

20)psychiatrist attempts to move a patient arms and ask him to resist but patient continues to move his arm in the direction of force and after psychiatrist removes his hand patient no longer hold his arm in previous position

A)Automatic obedience

B)Waxy flexibility

C)Negativism

D)ambitendency

E)Echopraxia

21)One of the questionnaires to identify psychiatric 'caseness'in population

A)MMPI

B)HDRS

C)GHQ

D)YMRS

E)reperetory grid

22)extreme anxiety symtoms when a person  thinks that his penis is shrinking into abdomen and he may die

A)psychosis

B)generalised anxiety disorder

C)phobia

D)Amok

E)Koro

23) a soldier from war field returs home having distress feelings,flasbacks,nightmares,hypervigilence ,whichof the following is more likely..

A)PTSD

B)phobia

C)depression

D)would want to return back to war

E)has more of anxiety symptoms

24) Elderly lady reports'my intestines blocked and blood stoped flowing to brain'which of the following phenomina is she describing

A)ideas of reference

B)persecutory delusions

C)grandiose delusions

D)nihilism

E)grandiose

25)which of the following is more useful in diagnosing dementia

A)clinical interview

B)CT scan

C)functional MRI

D)SPECT

E)CSF

26) which of following not common in nicotinic acid deficiency

A)dementia

B)delirium

C)pruritis

D)diarrohea

E)

27)Mahler associated with

A)Anal phase

B)autistic phase

C)conventional morality

D)individuality vs inferiority

E)operational

28)M Klein didnot include one of the following while explaining anxieties in child

A)splitting

B)projection

C)identification

D)sublimation

E)denial

29)west african preparing for the exams gets very distressed and other symptoms of anxiety...

A)brain fag

B)Amok

C)Latah

1 person likes this

i thought the paper was difficult.......i was perticullary stumped by a few questions that made no sence to me keeping in view it was a psychiatry exam ......

i thought the paper was difficult.......i was perticullary stumped by a few questions that made no sence to me keeping in view it was a psychiatry exam ......

i agree, it was a difficult paper but much better than paper 2

Someother questions:

MMSE doesnot assess:

a. working memory

b. Reading

c. Writing

d. Clock Drawing

e. Apraxia

Not included in Delusional Disorder

a. Delusion of Jelousy

b. Delusion of control

c. Delusion of persecution

d. Hypochondriac Delusion

e. another delusion

Woman suddenly shouting, frightened, running, dissociating and then total amnesia for the whole period

West african student with lthargy, insomnia, palpitation and anxiety

Chinese worries about penis shrinking

a. Piblokto

b. Brain Fag Syndrome

c. Koro

D. Latah

e. Amok

(3 questions)

' I saw something in the street and they I knew something with a delusional meaning'

a. Delsuion of Perception

and 4 other choices of delusion!

man with bilat legamputation comes to clinic and talks about weather and resists you talk about his illness. Which defence mechanism?

a. Denial

b. projection

c. sublimation

d. rationalization

e. displacement

Patient under section of MHA shouts at the new cleaner on the ward, but ehaves well with you. Which defence mechanism?

son after death of his father, takes over the firm. Which defense mechanism?

1 person likes this

More questions

person with morning headaches for few months. cURRENT IMPRESSION OF TENSION HEADACHE. Which one suggestive of another important pathology?

a. severe headache

b. pain band around the head

c. pain in occiput

d. pain worse on bending head down

e. better with analgesics

patient keeps the limbs the way you put them and whatever you do, keeps them that way. which sign?

a. Automathic obedience

b. waxy flexibility

c. cogwheel rigidity and 2 more

1 person likes this

[highlight]b. pain band around the head

e. better with analgesics[/highlight]

both of them are right answers.

More questions

person with morning headaches for few months. cURRENT IMPRESSION OF TENSION HEADACHE. Which one suggestive of another important pathology?

a. severe headache

b. pain band around the head

c. pain in occiput

d. pain worse on bending head down

e. better with analgesics

patient keeps the limbs the way you put them and whatever you do, keeps them that way. which sign?

a. Automathic obedience

b. waxy flexibility

c. cogwheel rigidity and 2 more

both papers were difficult as compare to previous part -1 but paper-2 was a shock.

paper-1 EMIs was ok, 3 0r 4 difficult I think and there was no answer for 1 Qs,they wanted 2 answers.

Developemental stage 4-7

Definitly the papers were much more difficult than in the past.

Past Questions did not help.

Just starting to prepare for the next Paper in June.

And can't I just not recall any Q's on my own.

my consultant told that standard pass percentage score for paper 1 and 2 was fixed 79% & 68% respectively.they are reconsidering for paper 2.any one has further info

who is your consultant? is he in royal college?? seems funny he knows what being discussed!!!

who is your consultant? is he in royal college?? seems funny he knows what being discussed!!!

he is prof and that come out during supervision, even i did not believe but i thought why would he lie or make it up, anyways forget it, the reason i brought this out was i thought some one else might have the same or better info

did he mean that % will pass? or that ppl will have to score over that%age to pass?? wat abt the angoff method then?

did he mean that % will pass? or that ppl will have to score over that%age to pass?? wat abt the angoff method then?

its score/marks

I may be wrong but I had read somewhere or maybe heard from someone that they will pass a good number of ppl otherwise the system fails(MMC).

if you say that 78% is something which they believe ppl shud be scoring for these papers(1 and 2) , I cant be sure abt others but my guess wud be majority wud fail!! which in effect means that systems seems to fail...ppl will not progress!!! isnt that true??

I am not convinced by your Profs advice...it is scary and if true ...

I may be wrong but I had read somewhere or maybe heard from someone that they will pass a good number of ppl otherwise the system fails(MMC).

if you say that 78% is something which they believe ppl shud be scoring for these papers(1 and 2) , I cant be sure abt others but my guess wud be majority wud fail!! which in effect means that systems seems to fail...ppl will not progress!!! isnt that true??

you may be right but why would they set a difficult paper at the first place, if they want to pass more people

Morel....Demence precoce

Kahlbaum.....Katatonie

Hecker....Hebephrenie

Kraepelin.....Dementia praecox

Bleuler................Schizophrenia splitting of the mind

I may be  wrong but I had read somewhere or maybe heard from someone that they will pass a good number of ppl otherwise the system fails(MMC).

you may be right but why would they set a difficult paper at the first place, if they want to pass more people

it is really scary if the passing percentage is so high for a difficult paper like this..i tried to understand about Angoff method of scoring..can anyone who has understood please make it simpler to comprehend? thanks

I hope the Royal college learns from their mistakes ( i hope they do, because they havent in past). I hope the Royal college passes every one who appeared just to compensate for the emotional trauma after the exam :'(

I may be  wrong but I had read somewhere or maybe heard from someone that they will pass a good number of ppl otherwise the system fails(MMC).

Dear sipper,

The answer for your question lies in the fact that the royal college are going to conduct exams more frequently, so that even if only 70% pass in the first time, the rest can attempt 4 or 5 times within 18 months.

The reason for setting the questions tough is twofold:

1. The royal college and PMETB get bragging rights about the UK post graduate training being tougher than EU/American/Australian exams and hence of increased standard.

2. If they pass almost everyone that takes the exam, then how will the college generate enough income to spray around?

A tougher set of exams and the 18 month 'banking' scheme will ensure that trainees keep applying for exams, thereby keeping their coffers brimming.

Does that make any sense at all?

my consultant told that standard pass percentage score for paper 1 and 2 was fixed 79% & 68% respectively.they are reconsidering for paper 2.any one has further info

i hope that is not the pass rate cos it means i would fail. i reckon i would get about 70% !!!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0