Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

2008 June - Paper 1 feedback

20 posts in this topic

Please post your feedback on the Paper 1 exam. If you can remember any questions and stems, please include them. Please do not discuss answers in this thread.

Thank you and good luck!

There were atleast 50 questions on STIGMA, PDs and a few more on social psych. that came out of no where.

If it wasn't for the EMIs, I'd know for sure that I'll fail.

I thought the paper was standard for paper 1, although quite a few questions from paper 2 syllabus had appeared on it!

Anyways, personally, it is my first time attending the paper 1, so can not say if any questions were repeated, but I will definitely come back and post the questions I remember after having a cold :).

I predict a similar pass percentage to last time, i.e., about 60% pass rate with the pass mark being around 50%.

See you all shortly... ;)

Thought many questions from stigma etc were out of the blue.....There were quite a few questions asked from Neuropsychiatry which was apparently in paper 2......especially difficult for someone like me who was answering only paper 1 and had no idea about them.Wonder why the college misleads candidates by mentioning the syllabus and then asking totally unrelated questions  :'( :'( :'(

Thought many questions from stigma etc were out of the blue.....There were quite a few questions asked from Neuropsychiatry which was apparently in paper 2......especially difficult for someone like me who was answering only paper 1 and had no idea about them.Wonder why the college misleads candidates by mentioning the syllabus and then asking totally unrelated questions  :'( :'( :'(

Thats how the college works.

You are lucky mate in that u were not eligible to write paper 2 last time. You know what ! there were atleast 125 questions which came out of blue !!!

just chill out as it will be difficult for everyone in ur position as most of the candidates write only paper 1. veery few attempt both the papers.

i think when compare to last time this time os okay, but result!!!!!!!

Thank God.I thought it was only me who thought that those questions were out of nowhere.I had almost lost hope until I reached the EMIs.There were exactly 51 questions that were alien to me.Anyway best of luck folks ;)

To me paper 1 is reasonable this time, there were few repeats from the past papers.

The EMIs were relatively easy.

All the best guys.

I thought the paper was standard for paper 1, although quite a few questions from paper 2 syllabus had appeared on it!

Anyways, personally, it is my first time attending the paper 1, so can not say if any questions were repeated, but I will definitely come back and post the questions I remember after having a cold  :).

I predict a similar pass percentage to last time, i.e., about 60% pass rate with the pass mark being around 50%.

See you all shortly... ;)

Noc, eventhough college has split the syllabus, there is no clear cut point for most of the topics.

you know what there are few questions in paper 2 which are from paper 1 topics.

1.the least developed sence after birth

a. taste

b. smell

c touch

d.vision

2.average male puberty age

a 10

b11

c12

d13

e14

3.something on metabolic abnomarlity in AN using laxative and vomiting

just want to open the poll, pls guys more post will be great

Hi  Everybody,

My exams were OK.I think it was fair in a way and as usual with any exams this also had it`s own shockers!! :D

There are number of reasons for this,

1.I had expected an 'total out of blue' paper this time and found the EMQ`S better designed and set for the paper 1 standards.This made me feel good in myself after the exams.

2.The stems were not too lenghty and was just able to attend all the questions before the time.

3.For me personally there were lot of q`s from the stigma,deviance theory,social psychology etc,.This contributed for around 35-40 questions!!!This was the big blow in the MCQ`S I think.

This was the first experience ever with the MRCPsych exam and would like to make it a hopeful one.Thanks for the forum and all those who had contributed the previous q`s from their exams.Those were helpful

I am going to come back with some q`s later in the week.

Byee. ;)

1.vomitting leads to

a.metabolic alkalosis

b.metabolic acidosis

c.hyponatreamia

2.diarrhoea leads to

a.metabolic alkalosis

b.metabolic acidosis

c.hypokalaemia

3.neurasthaenia is included in which part of somatoform disorders in ICD 10

a.other neurotic disorders

etc.

4.Which of the following PDs are not included in both ICD 10 and DSM IV

a.paranoid PD

b.Histrionic PD

c.Dependent PD

d.scizotypal PD

e.schizoid PD

5.Which of the following PDs are not included in both ICD 10 and DSM IV(different question)

a.anxious avoidant PD

b.Histrionic PD

etc

6.SSRI with longest 1/2 life

7.which mood stabiliser is not recommended for prophylaxis of BPAD

a.Lithium

b.Valproate

c.Topiramate

d.Lamotrigine

e.olanzapine

8.In MMSE, copying intersecting pentagons assesses what

a.copying skills

b.contructional praxis

c.language

d.orientation

9.Commonest side effect of methylphenidate

a.insomnia

b.diarrhoea etc

10.Patient on lithium and risperidone develops tremors what will help to detect which medication is causing side effect

a.physical examination of tone of joints

b.gait

c.finger-nose test

11.Mother suffers from schizophrenia, what is the chance of her children suffering from schizo.

a.5-10%

b.10-15%

c.20-25%

d.40-50%

12.EMI on

Cade - Lithium

Kane-Clozapine

Delay and Deniker-Chlorpromazine

13.EMI on matching different age ranges with developmental stages namely

oedipal phase

sensorimotor

latency phase

initiative versus guilt

14.MCQ on group think which was quite complex

15.Average age of puberty in boys

Will post more as I remember ;)

1.Avoidance is a defence mechanism most commonly used in

a.Phobia

b.OCD

c.PD

2.EMI on speech disorders

match disorder with site of lesion

scanning speech,nasal speech etc

3.EMI on catatonic signs of schizo

aversion,mitgehen, mannerisms, stereotyping

You are lucky mate in that u were not eligible to write paper 2 last time. You know what ! there were atleast 125 questions which came out of blue !!!

just chill out as it will be difficult for everyone in  ur position as most of the candidates write only paper 1. veery few attempt both the papers.

Thanks for that Buddy  :) is there any point in informing the college about it and if so,whom do I contact?

just chill out as it will be difficult for everyone in  ur position as most of the candidates write only paper 1. veery few attempt both the papers.

Thanks for that Buddy  :) is there any point in informing the college about it and if so,whom do I contact?

there is absolutely no need for it as I think it is a waste of time. Quite a few people lodged complaints regarding the paper 2 last time and even the chief examiner made a notice of this. but guess what, inspite of all that, i will say the paper 2 this time was only about 25% better.

1. The idea that overwhelming stress could produce mental illness led to the introduction of which term in the early 20th century?

A - war neurosis.

2. The following are true of Deontology

I cant remember what the choices were but i went for 'consequences'. Not sure if that was right though.

3. INUIT person goes wild and rolls in the snow and yadiyadiya.

A - Piblokto.

4. Wilson's desease has which of the following?

A - Kayser-Fleischer ring

5. Person with features of Wernicke's [not explicitly stated] has which of the following?

A - I am not sure if the answer was nystagmus or ataxia, but one of them was there.

6. There was a question on eye movements. you had to choose one of the 3 cranial nerves 3rd, 4th or 6th.

[tipe: just make sure you know all the eye movement disorders by heart]

I cant believe that i cant remember anymore. my mind's a blank.

It was my first time to seat for paper 1 unlike many, I did not find it easy. I can only remember some of the questions vividly as follows:

1. The following are features of atypical Anorexia Nervosa

a. binge eating

b. depressive mood

c.

d.

e.

2. This sense is not well developed at birth

a. vision

b. touch

c.hearing

d.smell

e.taste

3. the following is the most common obsession in OCD

a.checking

b.magical thinking

c. rumination

d. fear of contamination

e.

4. this is observed in hyperventilation:

a.paraesthesia

b.

c.

5. This is a finding in anorexia nervosa who induces vomiting

a. hyponatremia

b. hypocalcemia

c. hypokalemia

d. osteoporosis

6.A patient admitted in the ward making a good progress but his symptoms worsens whenever he comes back from home leave. His mother stated that he is very lazy. What is the best next step?

a. CBT

b. Family therapy

c. detention

7.Patinet with a diagnosis of schizophrenia or a long time, refusing to take antipsychotics. Assessment show that he has capacity MDT decided to follow his wishes. This is

a. autonomy

b. beneficiace

c. utilitarian

8.the following can be observed in lithium under normal therapeutic dose:

a. peripheral oedema

b. change in ECG

c.

more questions

Patient on lithium for a long time he comes to you complaining of lethargy, excessive sleepiness and more symptoms(i cannot remember) this happened recently after starting him on a new drug. The new drug is likely to be:

a. Mirtazapine

b. Carbamazepine

c. Lamotrigine

d.

e

You are called to see a newly admitted patient with personality disorder in the ward, you find out that nursing staff are angry and feel unwanted, useless to the patient.

What is the most likely psychological explanation?

a. counter transferance

b.projection.

c. sublimation

EMI

1. Longest acting SSRI - Fluoxetine

2. Most sedating SSRI- Paroxetine

3. SSRI with least drug interactions- Citalopram

MCQ & EMI

Psychiatric ‘caseness’ - General Health questionnaire

EMI - Memory types

1. Free recall memory

2. Cued memory