Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

November 2008 - Paper 1 feedback

47 posts in this topic

Please post your feedback on the Paper 1 exam. If you can remember any questions and stems, please include them. Please do not discuss answers in this thread.

Thank you and good luck!

Too many names to remember.

I don't understand whay the college expects us to know who said all doctors neet to be benevolent and just as long as they know they should and are.

Very silly exam I must add.

This exam was very difficult for me.

I don't know how did other people feel.

The materials were of little help.

I found the paper quite difficult. I had used the B'ham notes and masterpass books as well as standard texts e.g. Simms.

There were some really easy questions but there were also quite a few that I really had to take a blind guess at.

It's going to feel like an eternity waiting for the results.....

I found at least 20 questions extremely vague, the one about Baboons and their heirarchy! Some questions were straight out of the prep courses but the pharmac ones were tough and neuropsych was difficult as well.Guessed quite a bit, even after working so hard!!

The paper was tough for me. Lots of guess works.

who finds difficult to adjust to the change in culture?

The migrants -

Doctor , his wife who was a teacher /

children in pre nursery /

husband's parents who joined them after 3 years

S.E of Acomprosate

Nausea, hair fall, ....

contrary to my expectations,as heightened by teh birmingham online q bank which is quite deceptive,i found it a bit tough;the college has a remarkable way of asking the simplest of quesns in a roundabout manner;at times it felt like a test of language abilities and intellect as well!!!

would be interesting to know what others' take was on this!

lots an lots of quesns on dementias,lots of social psychology ,flynn effect whatever that is, those on psychopathology were easier...thank God.

some quesns on attitude,stigma,prejudice,conformity,cohesion,attribution biases.Neuroanatomy got tested a few times,do alllll the tests of neuropsychology really well,as there were many quesns on them.i shall try n post as many as i remember soon ia.Just time to pray pray pray now!

I agree with docshak, they were testing language and intellect.

They had new culture bound syndrome which i had never read. Lots of Psychology , neurology and very few repeats from previous exams.

Materials were of little help.

Dear all, it almost felt like i was experiencing the so-called 'twilight state' when i had a look at the ridiculous questions this morning. This is outrageous!!! Probably the college should consider conducting psychiatry focussed creative writing & reading course...

I found the paper difficult as well & most of the time, i couldn't help myself losing track of MCQ questions as the answers were as long as the questions. I guess the college have tried really hard to stay away from the conventional course material questions. Don't have anymore words to describe...might need EMDR soon!

Anticipatory anxiety continues...Pheooo

It was quite a challenging exam.About 20-30% past questions.Another 20-25% I could anwer comfortably, the others I had to guess.

Questions on Culture bound syndrome,koro,pa-leng(frigophobia),.

Question on if female/male is head of the Baboon family.

Simultagnosis,prosoptagnosia,

Antidepressants used for anxiety and insomnia

justice,malefecience e.t.c was by who

will add others later in a more constructive manner

WHICH IS A TEST FOR FRONTAL LOBE FUNCN: WISCONSIN CARD SORTING TEST

WHICH IS A D2 PARTIAL AGONIST?

WHICH OF THE DRUGS IS 5HT1 A AGONIST?..BUSPIRONE

WHICH O FTHE ABNORMALITIES OCCUR IN ANOREXIA NERVOSA?

• INC LH
    DELAYED INSULIN RELEASE
    DEC CORTISOL
    DEC CAROTENE

A QUESN ON ATYPICAL ANOREXIA NERVOSA: ANS WAS PROBABLY TAHT IT HAS A FEW MILD FEATURES OF THE TYPICAL FORM

WHAT IS THE FLYNN EFFECT?

THEORIES OF INTSTUTIONALISATION

STEMS WERE SOOOO LONG,CANT EVEN REMEMBER THEM.

-a man walking down the hallway,moving his arm right and left repeatedly...stereotypy?

examiner puts patients arms up,and it stays there for a fe wmins...waxy flexibility/catalepsy.

one typical one on automatic obedience.

yes i agree it was difficult ,,i foud the stigama .culture ,and history of psychiatry questions difficult .

siju ---culture bound syndrome

pa leng

question about SCAPEGOATING

and so many twist in each question i think they want to know NOT HAPPENING things in a condition a lot

dopamine metabolised by

i comt

emi

a girl feels low in mood 9dep symptoms0 , night terros ,,flashback

i had a minor road traffic accident 2 months ago

ii sexually asaulted 3 months ago

few other options

Qns about

Pharmacological causes for - Tardive dyskinesia, Parkinsonism & ..

Options were - Increased &nbsp:lol:2 recetor sesitivity, Decreased stiatal D2 receptors....

Term Schizoaffective psychosis was coined by ....

U ask patient what he had for breakfast ? He says 'cereals', what is your name? He says 'cereals'. What is Date of birth. He says 'cereals'

Ans- Perseveration

Also about Group pressure, Prejudice- were very very long to read / remember. Of course, trick ones.

Which is not right-

I chose - Charaka preached confidentiality, updating of medical knowledge. Rest were toooo much to read & understand.

Hoping to pass ( although appears to be a very elated choice)

:)

I found the questions on prejudice,neuropsychiatry and history difficult,pharmacology and psychopathology were interesting and straightforward,I felt only 20-25% questions were from course materials,I was able to answer most questions by reading SIMS and ICD 10,

Who coined the term schizoaffective disorder Kansanin

D2 partial agonist aripaprazole

noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor reboxitine

Flynn effect increase in IQ with inceasing generations

senile pupil reacts sluggishly to light and accomadation

melting pot model country accomadating different cultures

A man introduces girl friend as wife paragramatism

Which one is not a risk factor for ADHD

St johns wart has interaction with both ocp and warfarin

The book Myth of mental illness written by Thomas Szaz

Type of schizophrenia not included in ICD 10 ? undifferianted schizophrenia

Region of brain responsible for working memory?pre frontal cortex

Dint know the answer about the comt /mao mechanism,please post the answer if anyone knows

Also a college student perplexed,low mood with persucutory delusions,recently joined college,detorition in performance?? diagnosis,?adjustment disorder?depressive episode

Just Keep Praying for the results..

Hope to Pass....

i totally agree that notes did little help

the birmingham notes was the worst ( although good q bank on the site)

the spmm notes tried to do a good job ,but not enough ( a very bad q bank)

i DO hope to pass ,its questionable though :-[

alot of questions needs someone who is keeping track of all papers published ,perhaps a subscription to a psych magazine!!!!

so who knows the answer to the dopamine metab question cos according to manchester notes all 3 of comt, mao a and b are able.

and the baboon q

the

I agree. I went through manchester,birmingham and spmm notes.I also attended courses but I feel its not made much difference.

I agree. I  went through manchester,birmingham and spmm notes.I also attended  courses but I feel its not made much difference.

I think on one count, it is a good thing, but if the college gives us enough information on the reading materials to use, it would definitely be more helpful.

My gut feeling was to chose MAO-B and COMT - i chose MAO B on the basis of that is the action of selegiline (in that its a MAO B inhibitor)

Asked to old age psychiatry consultants on what the serial sevens test is most useful for and neither of them could answer it so I guess theres hope for us all!

My gut feeling was to chose MAO-B and COMT - i chose MAO B on the basis of that is the action of selegiline (in that its a MAO B inhibitor)

[highlight]Asked to old age psychiatry consultants on what the serial sevens test is most useful for[/highlight] and neither of them could answer it so I guess theres hope for us all!

Serial sevens is a test for calculation and therefore tests Parietal lobe functions.

Usain - the question was: Serial Sevens test best for:

attention

concentration

memory

calculation

speech

As far as I know in terms of MMSE Serial Sevens test Attention and Concentration - both consultants couldnt say which out of attention and concentration it tested best for

A person who has persecutery delusions about police sees 2 police in the street & acts ..... & becomes anxious. The police beleive that he was about to do a crime & arrest him.

What is this - Projection/ Projective identification/ Acting out / Supression.

I discussed with the Psychology - Consultant in the Psychotherapy & she could not give 1 best answer. :-/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0