Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Freudian_slipped

Discussion thread - Paper I answers

43 posts in this topic

Still hoping people will post Paper II questions but thought we could answer Paper I in the interim. Seems pretty much like the old Part I (with the occasional part II question thrwon in - like Kane's metaanalysis!)

F_S

A person drinks alcohol first thing in the morning before going to office,again drinks in the lunch time and after getting home need to have at least 6 units of alcohol.What is his behaviour decribed as?

D - Not OCD. This is alcohol dependence

2.Excessive day time sleepiness,hypnopompic hallucinations

B)Narcolepsy

3.  A middle aged man having ,some 2 year history of having movement disorder,memory problems,no past history of psychiatric problems,one of the parents died early from with movement disorder.

A)Huntingtons

4. Elderly man having fluctuation in consciousness,visual hallucinations and cannot turn in the bed properly.

B)Lewy Body dementia

5)A boy can make difference between amount of water present in tall glass and wide mouthed glass in which stage of piagets model

C)concrete operational

6)Term schizophrenia by

A)Bleuler

7)dementia precox by..(same choices as above)

Kraeplin

8))catatonia by...(same choices as above)

Kahlbaum

9)serial seven tests...

B)attention

Though I think it's concentration!

10)bipolar disorder with psychosis ,whichof the following best fits..

B)prominent affective symptoms and mood congruent delusions

11)Hypomania...

A)doesnot affect psychosocial functioning

12) Not a risk factor for child abuse

C)old age parents

D

13)which of the following not associated with Aspergers

A)child doesnot talk till age of 3

(rest of features typically seen in Aspergers)

14)Sense of familiarity when stored cognitive features come to conscious

C)Recognition

15)Clozapine effectiveness in treating Schizophrenia

D)Kane

16)Alexia without Agraphia seen in lesions of

C)posterial cerebral artery

17)A lady covers her head with cloth saying'people can hear what i am think'

B)thought broadcasst

18) similar question asking about running commentry

3rd person AH

19)another question about echolalia...pattient reapting the words what psychiatrist says..

20)psychiatrist attempts to move a patient arms and ask him to resist but patient continues to move his arm in the direction of force and after psychiatrist removes his hand patient no longer hold his arm in previous position

C)Negativism

21)One of the questionnaires to identify psychiatric 'caseness'in population

C)GHQ

22)extreme anxiety symtoms when a person  thinks that his penis is shrinking into abdomen and he may die

E)Koro

23) a soldier from war field returs home having distress feelings,flasbacks,nightmares,hypervigilence ,whichof the following is more likely..

A)PTSD

24) Elderly lady reports'my intestines blocked and blood stoped flowing to brain'which of the following phenomina is she describing

D)nihilism

25)which of the following is more useful in diagnosing dementia

A)clinical interview

26) which of following not common in nicotinic acid deficiency

A)dementia

27)Mahler associated with

B)autistic phase

MMSE doesnot assess:

d. Clock Drawing

Not included in Delusional Disorder

b. Delusion of control

Woman suddenly shouting, frightened, running, dissociating and then total amnesia for the whole period LATAH

West african student with lthargy, insomnia, palpitation and anxiety BRAIN FAG

Chinese worries about penis shrinking KORO

' I saw something in the street and they I knew something with a delusional meaning'

a. Delsuion of Perception

and 4 other choices of delusion!

man with bilat legamputation comes to clinic and talks about weather and resists you talk about his illness. Which defence mechanism?

a. Denial

Patient under section of MHA shouts at the new cleaner on the ward, but ehaves well with you. Which defence mechanism? SPLITTING

son after death of his father, takes over the firm. Which defense mechanism? I'd say SUBLIMATION but REACTION FORMATION (if the son hates the family business!)

person with morning headaches for few months. cURRENT IMPRESSION OF TENSION HEADACHE. Which one suggestive of another important pathology?

d. pain worse on bending head down - MENINGITIS!

patient keeps the limbs the way you put them and whatever you do, keeps them that way. which sign?

b. waxy flexibility

Patient under section of MHA shouts at the new cleaner on the ward, but ehaves well with you. Which defence mechanism? SPLITTING

i think the question was pt behaves well with you (or Whoever) sectioned them so i thought this was displacement

[highlight]person with morning headaches for few months. cURRENT IMPRESSION OF TENSION HEADACHE. Which one suggestive of another important pathology?

d. pain worse on bending head down - MENINGITIS[/highlight]!

patient keeps the limbs the way you put them and whatever you do, keeps them that way. which sign?

b. waxy flexibility

Must have been really difficult. These seems like the kinda questions asked for PLAB and i cant see the relevance of it in Psychiatry at all.

Best of luck everyone though.

Still hoping people will post Paper II questions but thought we could answer Paper I in the interim. Seems pretty much like the old Part I (with the occasional part II question thrwon in - like Kane's metaanalysis!)

F_S

A person drinks alcohol first thing in the morning before going to office,again drinks in the lunch time and after getting home need to have at least 6 units of alcohol.What is his behaviour decribed as?

D - Not OCD. This is alcohol dependence

2.Excessive day time sleepiness,hypnopompic hallucinations

B)Narcolepsy

3. A middle aged man having ,some 2 year history of having movement disorder,memory problems,no past history of psychiatric problems,one of the parents died early from with movement disorder.

A)Huntingtons

4. Elderly man having fluctuation in consciousness,visual hallucinations and cannot turn in the bed properly.

B)Lewy Body dementia

5)A boy can make difference between amount of water present in tall glass and wide mouthed glass in which stage of piagets model

C)concrete operational

6)Term schizophrenia by

A)Bleuler

7)dementia precox by..(same choices as above)

Kraeplin

8))catatonia by...(same choices as above)

Kahlbaum

9)serial seven tests...

B)attention

Though I think it's concentration!

10)bipolar disorder with psychosis ,whichof the following best fits..

B)prominent affective symptoms and mood congruent delusions

11)Hypomania...

A)doesnot affect psychosocial functioning

12) Not a risk factor for child abuse

C)old age parents

D

13)which of the following not associated with Aspergers

A)child doesnot talk till age of 3

(rest of features typically seen in Aspergers)

14)Sense of familiarity when stored cognitive features come to conscious

C)Recognition

15)Clozapine effectiveness in treating Schizophrenia

D)Kane

16)Alexia without Agraphia seen in lesions of

C)posterial cerebral artery

17)A lady covers her head with cloth saying'people can hear what i am think'

B)thought broadcasst

18) similar question asking about running commentry

3rd person AH

19)another question about echolalia...pattient reapting the words what psychiatrist says..

20)psychiatrist attempts to move a patient arms and ask him to resist but patient continues to move his arm in the direction of force and after psychiatrist removes his hand patient no longer hold his arm in previous position

C)Negativism

21)One of the questionnaires to identify psychiatric 'caseness'in population

C)GHQ

22)extreme anxiety symtoms when a person thinks that his penis is shrinking into abdomen and he may die

E)Koro

23) a soldier from war field returs home having distress feelings,flasbacks,nightmares,hypervigilence ,whichof the following is more likely..

A)PTSD

24) Elderly lady reports'my intestines blocked and blood stoped flowing to brain'which of the following phenomina is she describing

D)nihilism

25)which of the following is more useful in diagnosing dementia

A)clinical interview

26) which of following not common in nicotinic acid deficiency

A)dementia

27)Mahler associated with

B)autistic phase

the ans is CO-OPERATION for q20, not negatavism

paediatric resciscitaion age

1)16 wks

2)20wks

3)22wks

4)24 wks

5)26wks

2)hirano bodies seen in what dementia

1ad

2 vascular

3picks

4 lewy

5frontotemporal

you have noticed bruise in one patient in ward review which is not documented.u have examined him and ensured safety what do u do next

1 inform consultant next ward round

2do an incident form

3just ignore

4 inform nurse and consultant immediately

5 something?

a soldier refered to u who came from iraq which one is not consistent with ptsd

1he sustained mild physical injuries in a bomb blast

2he is sleeps in his day time clothes

3he wants to go to iraq again

Kreely is right - Sims p.365 , although the pt is doing the OPPOSITE of what you asked him to.he demonstrates AUTOMATIC OBEDIENCE.

:)

)hirano bodies seen in what dementia

Picks

you have noticed bruise in one patient in ward review which is not documented.u have examined him and ensured safety what do u do next

4 inform nurse and consultant immediately

(Are they serious??!!!)

a soldier refered to u who came from iraq which one is not consistent with ptsd

3he wants to go to iraq again

The question about observing a bruise in a patient- i thought the answer was fill an incident form.

Also the question of bringing familiar things/events to conciousness i thought that was recollection and not recognition.

any thoughts?

The exam was tough for me. Any ideas if EMIs carry more marks and what the pass mark would be?

They asked for the dementia with inclusion bodies and not Hirano bodies. i think the answer is picks!

some more questions...its difficult TO recollect exactly...might mixure of PAPER 1&2

1drug which causes toxicity without increasing Lithium levels.....not sure of choices

2.sicidal rate in last year in Uk

a)1in10

b)1in100

C)1in 1000

d01in 100000

3.ssri effect on sleep is mainly due to following receptor

A)5HT1A

B)5HT2C

C)5HT3

D)ANTI HISTAMINIC

4.A BOY IS AFRAID OF NEW DOG IN THE HOUSE. HE WAS SITTING IN MOMS LAP EATING ICECREAM..WHATS THIS PROCESS

A)CLASSICAL

B)OPERANT

C)RELAXATION

D)COUNTERCONDITIONING

5.EMI

RECENT MEMORY

WORKING MEMORY

SEMANTIC MEMORY

PROCEDURAL MEMORY

EPISODIC MEMORY

1. ONE ELDERLY MAN ASKED TO REPEAT THE WORDS HAS GONE THROGH A PAPER AFTER MOVING TO ANOTHER PAPER ..SOMETHING LIKE THAT

2. ASKED TO RECOLLECT WORDS WITH LETTER A

3.SOMETHING SIMILAR Q

EMI

GENERALISATION

AVERSIVE CONDITIONING

CLASSICAL CONDITIONING

OPERANT

SENSITIZATION

UNCONDITIONED RESPONSE

EXTINCTION

CONDITIONED RESPONSE

1A PERSON UNDERGOING CHEMOTHERAPY GETS NAUSEA AS SOON AS HE ENTERS HOSPITAL

2. SAME PERSON DEVELOPS NAUSEA AFTER SEEING WHITE COAT PERSON

3.SAME HERO GET RID OF NAUSEA AFTER CHEMOTHERAPY

A NURSE GETS ANGRY WITH A RECENTLY ADMITTED BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER PATIENT.. WHATS THE DEFENCE MECHANISM INVOLVED....

1.man not satisfied with his gender,wants gender reconstruction surgery......transexualism

2.tranylcypramine can be given with which food of the below

a:smoked fish

b:wine/beer

c:cheese

d.bananas

some more themes i can recall include,

*loads of questions on dementias (mainly huntington's,pick's and Lewy body)

*questions on ADHD/Conduct disorders :P

*S/E of many medications, i think one or two were anti parkinsonian meds

They asked for the dementia with inclusion bodies and not Hirano bodies. i think the answer is picks!

i beleive there were two questions one asking about hirano bodies and one had inclusion bodies......

inuit women..culture bound syndrome!!!! hhahaha..i got this wrong as well..shit i shud have known this ..isnt it..its so common in UK!!!!!!!!!!! bull crap...shud ask them how many inuit ppl live in UK!!! are we supposed to know this to be better psychs,

The question about observing a bruise in a patient- i thought the answer was fill an incident form.

Also the question of bringing familiar things/events to conciousness i thought that was recollection and not recognition.

any thoughts?

The exam was tough for me. Any ideas if EMIs carry more marks and what the pass mark would be?

its recognition not recollection

in second ans, inform nurse and consultant, do not know about others exam was tough for me

MMSE doesnot assess:

d. Clock Drawing

Not included in Delusional Disorder

b. Delusion of control

[highlight]Woman suddenly shouting, frightened, running, dissociating and then total amnesia for the whole period LATAH[/highlight]

West african student with lthargy, insomnia, palpitation and anxiety BRAIN FAG

Chinese worries about penis shrinking KORO

' I saw something in the street and they I knew something with a delusional meaning'

a. Delsuion of Perception

and 4 other choices of delusion!

man with bilat legamputation comes to clinic and talks about weather and resists you talk about his illness. Which defence mechanism?

a. Denial

son after death of his father, takes over the firm. Which defense mechanism? I'd say SUBLIMATION but REACTION FORMATION (if the son hates the family business!)

i thought there was a mention of her tearing off her clothes and rolling arround in the snow ( or is that my delusioanl memory) anyways i went for whindigo or is it widigo or sumthing like that :P

the snow lady was piblotoq..google search it and u will see the scenario..heheheh..how many inuit women are in UK??? who roll in snow

WTF..................! and i was happy got sumthing right haha

Agree, I thought hirano bodies were Alzheimers.

I am getting more and more worked up about this exam, and also about eligibility which seems to change every time I contact the college.

hello ,

are you elligible for both paper1 and 2 ?

I AM IN FTSTA 1 and i will have 18 months of training by august 2008 ,

will i able to sit for pape 2 in november 2008 ?

any ideas ,

reply is much appreciated

what's ur doubt shankar???

If you have 18 months by aug'08, you can sit for paper2.

Have you got a job after august. If you have one, thats fine.

but make sure you do the required number of WPBA's as they are mandatory now.

hai buddy,

thanks for your reply,

i will complete 18 months by august 08 and i got CT2 from august 08 ,

as you know acccording to the recent regulations for exams ,

those who enter st1 level like me are not transitional candidates

so should show wpbas as part of elligibility and it says in regulations

PAPER II - REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY

i) Training Requirements

Between 18 and 48 months (including time allowed for remedial training) whole time equivalent in psychiatry by the date of sitting Paper II.

ii) Workplace Based Assessments

To be completed by the time of application to sit Paper II.

o 4 Mini Assessed Clinical Encounters (Mini-ACE)

o 2 Case Based Discussions (CBD)

Workplace based assessments should be spread over a minimum of 7-8 months at ST2/3 competency level and vary in terms of age, gender, diagnosis, social circumstances, and psychological adjustment.

Buddy , i you see the above clause , it says it should be spread out and also recenly for feb 08 exams few of our applications have been rejected on this point .

Do you have any idea on this by any chance ?

i think those who entered ST 1 will be knowing this as it relates to them,

please reply if u have any idea,

thanks .

In that case you need to do the required number of WPBAs mate.

Regarding the spread out of these forms over 7-8 months, at the end of the day it is your college tutor who will sign your application form. The college is not going to check the timing.As long as you do the required number, you should be fine eventhough they are not spread out. I dont think any 'SUPPORTIVE' college tutor will refuse to sign the application form because of this.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0