Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shad

failed

9 posts in this topic

can some of u help! i can not pass any papers so far. this is my second attmepts. depressed. studied hard. did courses.e.g spmm, manchester and birmingham all on line.

Emma... other than the course notes... what was your reading list?

Keep up the spirit man .............remember, many registrars and consultants around you have gone through exam failures many times before, including myself.

Going through superego forums will reveal this to you......and may cheer u up knowing you are not alone.

However, as Dorian mentioned, now is the time to review your methods.

Talk with those who passed, used the SEC forums for advice and concentrate on the basics of psychiatry for now(Sims, oxford, companion, etc)....rather than courses.

Gemini

I can only say what helped me for paper 1 and 2

- Read one course material thoroughly. By that I mean atleast 3-4 times. You should be knowing each and every sentence so that even if they ask a new question from out of nowhere you should be having some idea

- Collect all the questions from all previous exams. Solve them. Read them again couple of days before you go for the exam

- Try to remember bullet points : example - Hypocretin level reduced in Narcolepsy

- Refer textbooks whenever the opportunity arises mainly when searching for answers to poorly recalled questions from previous candidates

- Very Important : Keep a cool head on the day of the exam. Nobody would be knowing answers to all the questions. Its a matter of educated guess and ruling out the incorrect options. Try to get a flow of thoughts and momentum. Read loud to yourself (Offcourse without producing vocal cord sound) if you want

- Consider this as an opportunity to acquire more knowledge and skills. You might end-up being a better consultant than many of your colleagues

All the Best

Good one why dya... especially your advice on refering texts...

1. Get the basics right... 4 basic texts are a must before paper 1 and 2 (which I think are pretty much similar to part 1)

- Fish Psychopathology (or SIMS) - must read fully cover to cover

- A good book on psychopharmacology - (Stahl is a very basic book - but a good one and an easy read)

- A good psychology book (I always recommend Weyne Weiten's Themes and variations - its a fantastic read)

- First part of your SOTP or Kaplan Synopsis.

Course notes come only after the basic read (according to me)... Use the MCQs... but arrive at the answers on your own depending on the standard texts, rather than course notes....

There are hundreds of previous years questions in the Super ego cafe website... get them solved (with a standard textbook)... thats the best way ( i think).

thanks a lot why-dya and dorianwalking.

i really appreciate ur sincere advice. I was planning to write paper 3 in august as i was almost certain that i would pass paper 1 at least!! But now i'd to change my plan and will be writing papers 1&2 in November. will take ur suggestions on board. will do what best i can 'Identify my weak areas, work on them and Give my best' and hope i pass the exams.

thanks again!

gemini even if u r aiming for paper 1 and 2 in nov why not take paper 3 in aug as well.

hi mp3 codec, i was planning to write paper 3 in august but somehow i now feel that not having passed paper 1/2 even, it will create extra pressure on me as the clock will start clicking for the casc then. as u r aware there is only limited time for which the pass in paper 3 can be banked and i know passing casc in first attempt is very difficult though it is possible.

lets see!

cheers

Thank u so much 4 your valued advises. I will make it this and i will keep positive

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0