Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
docrav

pass rate for paper 3/paper 2

29 posts in this topic

Guys, pass rate for paper 2 was quite low and disapponting for all the trainees who did not pass the exam. One wonders if our college is actually responsible for such low rates. How can they explain to reduce passing rates in different exam format. Surely the present cohort was as intelligent as previous ones. In my opinion it is not fair. Morever the way college is setting 'standard' is debatable.Plz look at college website reg marking of new paper 1/2/3.......ur comments are welcome

Paper I, II and III Marking Scheme

All the question papers will consist of multiple choice questions and extended matching

items. The balance of the two types of questions will vary but will be approximately 75%

MCQs and 25% EMIs.

MCQs will be in the 1 from 5, single best answer type. This type of MCQ comprises a

question stem which is usually one or two sentences long but may be longer. The question

stem is followed by a list of 5 options. Candidates should choose the single best option that

fits the question stem. One mark is given for the correct answer.

In the EMIs candidates will be orientated by being given a theme for each set of EMIs,

followed by a lead-in statement explaining what the candidate is being asked to do. This is

followed by an option list, set out in a logical order. Finally, the vignettes are given and the

candidate asked to choose one or more best options from the option list. One mark is given

for each correct answer.

Candidates are advised to attempt all questions. No marks are deducted for

incorrect answers.

Standardisation

A standard is set for each paper using an absolute standard. This means that there is no

pre-determined number of candidates who pass or fail. Candidates pass or fail according to

their own performance and not on how well they perform in relation to the other

candidates.

Currently the Angoff method is used to standardize Paper I, II & III.

In this procedure trainers who are familiar with psychiatric training, for example college

tutors, educational supervisors, and recently appointed ST 4 trainees are identified. They

act as assessors of the paper and are asked to review each question in the paper. Each

question in the paper is independently assessed in relation to an external standard set by

the examiners. These estimates are discussed and averaged across assessors to reflect the

standard for each question. The standard for each question is averaged across an exam

Paper to provide a pass mark. To safeguard against wild fluctuations in pass rates whilst

maintaining the defensibility of criterion referencing, a compromise method is used that

takes into account the pass rate as well as the pass mark. The method is known as the

'Hofstee Compromise Method' and is accepted by medical educators as a valid procedureeally debatable. To set standard by asking same questions to consultant/supervisor/st4 is highly questionable . How can they ensure that same standard will be set each year. This method , in my opinion can really lead to bias.

Plz look at college website reg marking of new paper 1/2/3.......ur comments are welcome

anybody knows cut off for paper 1 & 2

ypu will have to wait for the results by post for that.

There is only one of two explanations for such a low pass mark

1- The Exam does not reflect training standards

2- UK training is not up to standards

I think PMETB should answer this question for us as it is the regulatory body for Postgraduate medical training. All concerns regarding paper 2 should be passed to PMETB

passing cut off in paper 1 is 50.01%,now the college sends the % to those candidates who passed the exam as well.

The dicrepancy between the pass rates for Papers I and II (60% and 37%) implies that the pass mark was indeed set, well ahead of the exam and they only juggled it a bit.

Perhaps it is going to be around 50% for all papers? (not that I got 50%in paper III ::) ::) ::)!)

passing cut off in paper 1 is 50.01%,now the college sends the % to those candidates who passed the exam as well.

What it is like for paper 2?????????/

it is 39.8% for paper II. This is radiculous!

What is this 39.8 %?? Is it the pass mark for Paper 2 ??? I can not believe this

the college should be answering this qs if they dare ....

obviuosly i f... up,is not like i didnot expect it, but i still question the fairness of this shit.

life goes on &.... bring it on.

Again I do not understand. Would you please clarify what is the pass mark for papers 1 and 2 ??

The Pass Rate is 37 and 60 % respectively ie 37% of candidates passed. What about the Pass mark??

Have any of you actually spoken to the college exams department in person to either clarify the pass mark, or to complain that you believe the exam pass rates are too low this year?

If not, then why not? What do you think will happen by posting things here? As far as I know there isn't someone employed by the college to sift through these threads and take the concerns back to the next college examiners meeting. You need to take it to them! Speak to your local college tutor and college PTC reps. As them to clarify the marking policy. Ring the college or email the department and seek their clarification. If that fails then put in a freedom of information act request to get the minutes of the colleges meetings on the matter, or put in a data protection act request and obtain your marked answer sheets.

If you want answers you have to be active!

For reference, in the past the Part II pass rates were always around 45%. I suspect that they took a cut off at a naturally occuring break in the marks around this point. In essence then you are being marked in relation to your peers and not against an externally fixed pass mark.

Why you Mention the College in Everything. It is the PMETB that should be contacted with any concerns and they can take it further.

PMETB is the Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board. It is the regulatory body for Postgraduate medical Training in the UK. So far PMETM has been asking the college for everything including exams and WPBA, curriculum and even Article 14 applications.

I think if we, as trainees, have any concerns about any aspect of postgraduate training or exams, we should contact PMETB with such concerns

PMETB NOT RCPSYCH

Again I do not understand. Would you please clarify what is the pass mark for papers 1 and 2 ??

The Pass Rate is 37 and 60 % respectively ie 37% of candidates passed. What about the Pass mark??

261 candidates were successful in the MRCPsych Paper I Examination held on 19th February 2008 from a total of 434 candidates who sat the examination (Pass Rate 60.1%).

The pass mark using the Hofstee method was arrived at 50.1%

120 candidates were successful in the MRCPsych Paper II Examination held on 19th February 2008 from a total of 320 candidates who sat the examination (Pass Rate 37.6%).

Following the standard setting exercise (details published on the exams pages of the college website www.rcpsych.ac.uk/exams) and final ratification by the Examinations Sub-committee, the Pass Mark for Paper II was set at 39.8%

The above information is directly quoted from the royal college website and result notifications.

For reference, in the past the Part II pass rates were always around 45%. I suspect that they took a cut off at a naturally occuring break in the marks around this point. In essence then you are being marked in relation to your peers and not against an externally fixed pass mark.

I don't think that a comparison to the old Part 2 is appropriate. The pass rate for the old part 2 written was usually in the region of 65%, the pass rate for the old Part 1 written was in the order of 70%.

These are probably better historical comparitors.

Personally think that a pass rate of less than 50% is indefsible.

Unbelievable. How would you pass someone who answered only 40 % of the questions right. It is a clear indication that the exam is not fit for purpose or trainees are not fit enough to sit the exam.

This is serious and I think should be taken further. Even 50% for Paper 1 is very low !!

Strange......I was trying to see pass list for paper 1 and 2 but apparently only members of royal college can see the result on the website. Why will post MRCPsych trainee bother to see the result for paper 1/2 ? It is only people like us who are trying to pass the exam who would be interested in knowing pass rate and pass percentage.

What is going on??? :-/

What is this 39.8 %?? Is it the pass mark for Paper 2 ??? I can not believe this

yes is it is passing mark

Why you Mention the College in Everything. It is the PMETB that should be contacted with any concerns and they can take it further.

PMETB is the Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board. It is the regulatory body for Postgraduate medical Training in the UK. So far PMETM has been asking the college for everything including exams and WPBA, curriculum and even Article 14 applications.

I think if we, as trainees, have any concerns about any aspect of postgraduate training or exams, we should contact PMETB with such concerns

PMETB NOT RCPSYCH

The reason I mention the college in everything is because they are the ones who have set the exam. If you ring PMETB straight off they will say things like: 'we are only here to approve the exams, we don't know anything about pass marks.' Hence if you have questions about the exam itself and process for setting the pass mark then it is the college examinations department that would be best placed to answer your queries.

If after that you are not satisfied then you should involve PMETB and ask them to look into the matter, to see if the exam is a valid or fair process.

Freedman: the figure is there for reference and not comparison.

Unbelievable. How would you pass someone who answered only 40 % of the questions right. It is a clear indication that the exam is not fit for purpose or trainees are not fit enough to sit the exam.

This is serious and I think should be taken further. Even 50% for Paper 1 is very low !!

All my school exams (in this country) had a pass mark of 50%, and I think my A-levels were 40%. It is pretty common. They don't expect anyone to get 100%. If you get 80%, you're fantastic.....

This is good to know. I certainly answered more than 40 % of the questions in Paper 3 !!

This is good to know. I certainly answered more than 40 % of the questions in Paper 3 !!

Inwhich case. if answered CORRECTLY then there is a possibility of passing paper 3!

may I congratulate you in advance!

Too Early to Congratulate in advance, pass mark could be 41 %

After all this is psychiatry

Anyone can have any view. Nothing is right or wrong

The college is always right although it might seem wrong

Study hard the next time mates

Cheers :D

Apparently the percentage of those passing who were 'British Trained Psychiatrists' was in the high 60s % range for Paper 2!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0