Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mszafar

erotomania

14 posts in this topic

hi guys, would be grateful if someone could remind me of the classical features of delusion of love (erotomania). i was just discussing this topic with a friend and when i started describing the features i realised i couldnt remember them all and havent got access to my books and revision notes. these are the features that i can remember:

- delusional reasoning that person loves you

- preoccupied with person of affection

- trying to gain close proximity to the person of affection causing embarrassment/distress

- misconstruing actions/comments of person of affection and using it to support the belief

i carnt remember the other features,can anyone fill in the gaps please?

My understanding is erotomania (de Clérambault's syndrome) is a specific type of delusional disorder.

from icd 10 online:

F22.0 Delusional disorder

A disorder characterized by the development either of a single delusion or of a set of related delusions that are usually persistent and sometimes lifelong. The content of the delusion or delusions is very variable. Clear and persistent auditory hallucinations (voices), schizophrenic symptoms such as delusions of control and marked blunting of affect, and definite evidence of brain disease are all incompatible with this diagnosis. However, the presence of occasional or transitory auditory hallucinations, particularly in elderly patients, does not rule out this diagnosis, provided that they are not typically schizophrenic and form only a small part of the overall clinical picture.

Paranoia

Paranoid:

· psychosis

· state

Paraphrenia (late)

Sensitiver Beziehungswahn

Excludes: paranoid:

· personality disorder ( F60.0 )

· psychosis, psychogenic ( F23.3 )

· reaction ( F23.3 )

· schizophrenia ( F20.0 )

So different kinds of delusions can exist. Also some have been names (Othello's syndrome - delusional jealousy, m>f, alcohol).

You could also read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotomania

Also some nice articles in yellow journal (can't remember refs offhand)

erotomania is one of the specific causes of stalking.

ther is a group in australia who have done major work in stalking do read through, also refer to Kaplan

erotomania can present as a symptom in a major disorder or can present in a pure form. It can occur in schizophrenia, bipolar , delusional disorder. If it occurs as a sole delusion then it can be classified as monosymptomatic delusional disorder like delusional parasitosis. Erotomania need not always necessarily involve stalking behaviour.

(Stalking again occurs in a wide range of conditions).

There is a non delusional variant of erotomania, where the person knows that the object of affection would not reciprocate, but nevertheless is preoccupied. ( Hinckley Jr, who tried to kill Ronald Reagan is quoted as an example for this. His object of affection was Jodie Foster and the assassination attempt was to gain her attention).

The key feature of erotomania is

irrational love for someone who is an a socially, economically or otherwise superior position, usually female. the lover is usually a loner, unemployed and pursues this relently.

For further reading, refer the chapter on erotomania in Psychiatric Clinics of North America ( 1990s, i guess)

If a male SHO is in love with a beautiful Female consultant and relentlessly pursues this relationship , is it erotomania.

What if the Consultant is a locum or a part time, does it still hold good as she may not be in such a superior social position.

I guess I am goin insane

Its a matter of degree , i suppose. ( spectrum varying from the typical to the atypical).

When these are the commonly observed features (female, superior social position) there might be exceptions.

Do you know of someone, ehceetee? ::)

If a male SHO is in love with a beautiful Female consultant and relentlessly pursues this relationship , is it erotomania.

What if the Consultant is a locum or a part time, does it still hold good as she may not be in such a superior social position.

I guess I am goin insane

My understanding is that the mental illness part is not the 'going for someone from a higher social order' bit, but a delusional thinking that someone usually higher up the order is in love with them.

In other words, the patient misinterprets neutral actions of another person, usually higher up the social order, and believes that the latter is in love with them. It is not so much the superior social position that we should be bothered, but the delusional belief and strong conviction that persists, inspite of lack of evidence for the same, or presence of evidence to the contrary!

Am I making sense or...? :-/ :-?

It was a joke Noc. I was trying to be a prankster but anyways, thanks for ur lecture. You get enough of these explanations from textbooks. :lol:

I guess I am goin insane

My understanding is that the mental illness part is not the 'going for someone from a higher social order' bit, but a delusional thinking that someone usually higher up the order is in love with them.

In other words, the patient misinterprets neutral actions of another person, usually higher up the social order, and believes that the latter is in love with them. It is not so much the superior social position that we should be bothered, but the delusional belief and strong conviction that persists, inspite of lack of evidence for the same, or presence of evidence to the contrary!

Am I making sense or...? :-/ :-?

Erotomania as defined in the Oxford textbook says that the subject believes that an exhalted person was in love with him/ her. I believe that is important too . Of course, you are talking about a delusion here and there will be conviction and features of a delusion . You can still call it erotomania if the person is of a higher social standing.

Its a matter of degree , i suppose. ( spectrum varying from the typical to the atypical).

When these are the commonly observed features (female, superior social position) there might be exceptions.

Do you know of someone, ehceetee? ::)  

I have worked for many female consultants but never fallen in love with anyone inspite of my non-compliance. :lol:

I guess I am goin insane

umm no not really... but pleaseeeeeeeee DOOOOOOOO TELL !!!

/me takes out a bag of crisps and a ice cold coke :D

romantic love has been described as the only socially accepted 'psychosis'

natures way of getting mating pairs deluded enough to stay together for a while so the offsprings have a better chance of survival

this period of 'psychosis' varys in duration and i guess erotomania is usually short lived

marriage, i won't even try to discuss this......

I agree aron, one of my consultants used to say 'love is a delusion'. They do have beliefs like no one else before them or after them were as much in love as they are. They are made for each other, etc, etc. The conviction is strong. All rational explanations fall on deaf years ( he is a dangerous guy or whatever).

So if love is psychosis, then erotomania is psychosis whole square.