Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smithy

questionable answers!

9 posts in this topic

From Master Pass - New MRCPsych paper II practice MCQs

Here are a few questions with their suggested correct answers, personally I'm not convinced. Would be keen to hear your thoughts.

(I've concentrated on the part of the question I find suspicious)

1) Which of the folowing statements about brain structures is true?

a) The pars reticulata uses dopamine as its main neurotransmitter

( I know this is the case for the compacta, but cannot find anything on the reticulata)

2) Which of the following has been suggested as a cause for Huntingtons

Cerebral palsy

(could not find anything to back this up)

3) Regarding the thalamus, which is true?

The dorsomedial nucleus recieves general sensation (this is the listed correct answer)

The lateral geniculate nucleus recieves information from the eyes (this is listed as incorrect)

hi smithy

hmmm...

you seem to have started preparing for paper 2...

im plannin to start from april

will get stuck in when i start preparing ;)

The LGN receives information directly from the ascending retinal ganglion cells via the optic nerve and from the reticular activating system. Neurons of the LGN send their axons through the optic radiations, a pathway directly to the primary visual cortex, also known as the striate cortex.

Dorsomedial nucleus of thalamus receives inputs from the Pre-Frontal Cortex and the Limbic System and in turn relays them to the Pre-Frontal Association Cortex. As a result, it plays a crucial role in attention, planning, organization, abstract thinking, multi-tasking and active memory.

Yo Gummybear

Its better to start a fresh post rather than posting on posts it you get my drift?

Not that this one is attracting much interest :evil:

1. Thalamus - LG definitely recieves input from optic tract ie retinal ganglionic cells.

I am not sure of dorsomedial (I am not sure I have heard of one), but medial dorsal is associated with recieving inputs from limbic system and pfc and is associated with higher functions...

somatosensory and motor relays occur in the ventral nuclei... if I am right

2. Pars compacta as you said is associated with dopaminergic neurons. Pars reticulata is associated with inhibitory neurons, I suspect GABAergic... again please double check, as I am just quoting from memory...

About the one about the huntingtons, I did not understand the question... so no guesses

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0