Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magna

March 11th 2008 - Paper 3

12 posts in this topic

We are the first cohort. Lets put our heads together and devise a strategy for passing this exam. I'll start . . . :-/ . . . :-[ . . . :(

I think going through past questions will definitely help in the new format. I do not think they will change the topics they ask about. I would go for one of the courses before the exam even though I doubt that they will know much about the new format.

Presumbaly you have to do all the MCQs you can find and try to read as broadly as possible? I guess reading Advances in Psychiatric Treatment will still be relevant. Perhaps there are selections of MCQs on critical appraisal out there.

Is there a format and syllabus available yet?

Mark

I read this document ages ago. I even contacted the RCPsych regarding clear definition of the timeframe for passing the MRCPsych. As expected the answer was not clear. I think this has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.

I think the MCQs will be harder than the previous format of True or False. One will need to study more. Previously you had a 50% chance of getting the MCQ right but now the chance is only 20% as it is Best of Five. The topics will remain the same though.

I am sure people would be aware of some books / notes/ materials for the new 'Best of Fives' and EMIs, for the coming Spring Paper 3, any ideas please?

All currently running courses are obviously following the old pattern, 'onexamination' is old, and I feel I am wasting this time, as there is nothing exam orientated material that is available around to study.

Any suggestions?

You are not alone! I cant see myself trying to read'broadly or extensively' as this would probably take me to 2020. I just hope there are good exam materials or courses that would help...to channel and focus my revision to.

I don't think at this point that it is possible to do anything except get hold of Manchester notes and all the isqs you can find and do them, then read around a little so if they ask related stuff as part of the best of 5 you have a reasonable chance. The college may provide a few MCQs in the new format on the website nearer the time if we're lucky.

I have a feeling this was the format used about 5 years ago, so it may be worth asking any new consultants if they've still got their part 2 notes anywhere :-?....just a thought.

The format is entirely new-not like the MCQs that were asked in the past by the college.In the new format we have to choose one best answer among five options,which is more difficult than the usual mcqs.YOU CAN MAIL THE EXAM DEPARTMENT TO SEND YOU A SAMPLE QUESTION.

Is paper 3, One paper?

or a day of a series of paper 3's

?

and can staff grades do this exam or not? anybody know?.....

:-X I'm equally very interested in the paper 3-the contents, complexity, cost, eligibility criteria, how soon can one take it, etc. Can anybody help?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0