Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qudrat

one question

11 posts in this topic

can any body tell me which lobe is involved in prosopagnosia??

as far as i remember its the right temporal....

and i think that some research shows it to be specifically the fusiform gyrus or so...

Its the non-dominent Parietal lobe

Its the non-dominent Parietal lobe

its the rt temporal lobe

it is cotroversial, is it Rt temporal or non dominent parietal????

Dear Ebrahimi,

According to 'Cognitive Assessment for Clinicians' by John.R.Hodges, pg 89-90, prosopagnosia is most commonly due to bilateral inferior occipito temporal lesions, but some cases with purely right sided lesions have been reported. this is mostly post stroke.

A variant of prosopangnosia called cross modal prosopagnosia occurs in the context of anterior temporal lobe atrophy in semantic dementia. Cross modal here means the patients will have difficulty identifying faces from photographs and also inproducing relevant information in response to names( unlike patients with post stroke prosopagnosia who can use cues like voice, gait, clothing etc to identify faces).

It can be confusing in Best of Fives!!!

Dear Eeyore

Thanks for your explanation,I know it is confusing in BOF Qs, I will go for rt temporal.

Dear Ebrahimi,

According to 'Cognitive Assessment for Clinicians' by John.R.Hodges, pg 89-90, prosopagnosia is most commonly due to bilateral inferior occipito temporal lesions, but some cases with purely right sided lesions have been reported. this is mostly post stroke.

A variant of prosopangnosia called cross modal prosopagnosia occurs in the context of anterior temporal lobe atrophy in semantic dementia. Cross modal here means the patients will have difficulty  identifying faces from photographs and also inproducing relevant information in response to names( unlike patients with post stroke prosopagnosia who can use cues like voice, gait, clothing etc to identify faces).  

It can be confusing in Best of Fives!!!

Most of the paper and evidence say it is Right Temporal Lobe, which is involved in Prosopagnosia, progressive prosopagnosia to be precise.......... :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

I think it is the area at parieto-temporal junction, so both non-dominant parietal lobe and non-dominant parietal lobe are true answers.

I'm not being funny, but I have read somewhere it's posterior parietal bordering on occipital! And non-dominant.

SOTP 5th ed p317 says delusional misidentification disorders appear to be posterior part of right hemisphere where face recognition systems are located, and these are closely related to prosopagnosia.

I guess an inability to recognise familiar faces is going to involve memory and therefore temporal as well?

Just found it in Lishman- commoner in right than left lesions but most are bilateral lesions of the central visual system- specifically medial occipito-temporal.

The back bit of the brain then!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0