Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Happydoc

COMT query

16 posts in this topic

Hi friends, can anyone clarify is it the Val or Met allele of COMT that increases susceptibility to scizophrenia?

Ref New Manchester notes pg 3 and pg6 seems contradictory or may be I have not understood.

On pg 3 it says presence of low activity COMT Met allele is a risk factor for Schizophrenia development in VCF Syndrome. Val allele carriers will be protected due to increased breakdown of exces dopamine levels.

On Pg 6 Carriers of COMT Val allele are more likely to develop Schizophrenia if they smoke cannabis.

The two statements seem somehow contadictory.

Hi Eeyore

I think it is the COMT val allele which has the susseptibility for schizophrenia. (As it says on the page 6) after smoking cannabis.

I am not sure about COMT met allaele in generala, but the notes make its connection with CVFS. I think it says that due to CVFS COMT met allele being [highlight]underactive[/highlight] it makes the person more susseptible for Schizophrenia.

I will go for val allele being more vulnerable.

. . . . will apprecaite if any one else could comment.

cheers

I doubt that any of this rubbish will come in the coming Paper 3 exam

I doubt that any of this rubbish will come in the coming Paper 3 exam

You mean it will be even more rubbish???????? :)

Oh yes, sure it will come. This is the kinda stuff the college likes to bring up......theories that most likely would be binned in 1-2yrs.

Hi Eeyore

I think it is the COMT val allele which has the susseptibility for schizophrenia. (As it says on the page 6) after smoking cannabis.

I am not sure about COMT met allaele in generala, but the notes make its connection with CVFS. I think it says that due to CVFS COMT met allele being [highlight]underactive[/highlight] it makes the person more susseptible for Schizophrenia.

I will go for val allele being more vulnerable.

. . . . will apprecaite if any one else could comment.

cheers

From my repeated attempts to get some sense out of this issue it seems like

1. COMT Met allele is a risk factor for schizophrenia development in VCFS. Pg 3 manchester

2. Carriers of COMT Val allele are most likely to exhibit psychotic symptoms if they smoke cannabis. Pg 6 manchester

3. Subjects with COMT Met allele perform better on WCST and n Back working memory task but are at increased risk of an adverse response to amphtetamine. Pg 10 manchester.

4. COMT val allele increases prefrontal dopamine catabolism and impairs prefrontal cognition and thereby slightly increase risk of Schizophrenia. pg 10 Manchester

So either way you look at it one is a gone case. Does it make sense :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

Any major textbook reference besides Manchester notes?

3.56 am???? On call or early morning awakening???? :)

[highlight]3.56 am???? On call or early morning awakening???? [/highlight]:)

ROFL !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

3.56 am???? On call or early morning awakening???? :)

Kept up all night on call by a bunch of sissys wanting to kill themselve for various reasons.

It's in SOTP, 5th ed, pg 103-

Egan and colleagues (2001) showed that subjects with Val-COMT had a less efficient pre-frontal cortex (when doing working memory tasks) than people with Met-COMT; heterozygotes were intermediate.....Egan et al...also found a higher frequency of the Val allele in patients with schizophrenia than in healthy subjects, consistent witht he evidence linking the disease with dopamine and the pre-frontal cortex.

I love this book. How sad is that!

dont worry Ros.. once the exam is over.. i can lend u some of my PC Gamer mags and other books.. so taht you can wean urself off the SOTP .. fancy ? ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: You can teach me to play PA's globule game!

:lol: :lol: :lol: You can teach me to play PA's globule game!

oh yeah.. that one.. i havent touched it yet.. cos if PA says its addictive, u can be pretty sure that its damn addictive.... !!!

but yes.. once i get the hang of it, i will teach you as well..

besides, we need to go bowling again !!! get J as well with u when u come for the exam... ;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0