Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doc

EEG

17 posts in this topic

Can someone please clarify... what is the EEG pattern in Depression?

Many thanks.

Can someone please clarify... what is the EEG pattern in Depression?

Many thanks.

redused SWS...so it should be decreased Delta n Theta activity. I dont know the rest.

EEG patterns in depression mainly relate to slepp problems and are

....Decresed SWS

....Reduced delta & theta activity

... Decrease REM latency / onset

. ..Increase REM density / duration

....Decreased stage 2 sleep

... Increased night time awakening and reduced sleep sufficiency/efficiency

Hope this helps

Also when awake, Lishman says the EEG can be abnormal up to 20% of people with neurotic/ affective disorders. Abnormalities are usually just outside the normal range, often an excess of generalised low amplitude beta or theta rhythms.

And it's abnormal in 10-15% of 'normal' people too!

How many depressed patients have you seen in your career? Can you rememeber any of them referred for EEG. EEG is not diagnostic, and not of any clinical significance in Depression, Dementia, Huntington and even epilepsy as it can be normal in epileptics and abnormal in non-epileptics.

You are memorizing useless facts like ****. YOU ARE ABUSING YOUR MIND

With respect, NY, there is a question that comes up in the EMIs about EEGs, and one of the scenarios has been a depressed man. Which is why I looked it up. Not because I have any intention of using the information in clinical practice, but because I just want to get through the damned exam.

My anger is not towards you Ros, it is towards the exam and the type of questions. I passed Part 1 and the practical knowledge I gained out of it is minimal !!! Really frustrating. It seems that I will have to do the same for Paper 3 but for some reasons I am too demoralized to do so. It is great that you are able to do this, well done and Good luck

Fair do's, NY. It is ridiculous stuff to have to learn. But the pressure is on for those of us who won't be going up to ST4 in August if we stuff up this time...

And this is another thing that demoralizes me. When MMC was introduced, there were many documents on the college website saying clearly that we have till end of ST 4 to get membership. On this basis I made my decision to go back into training. All of the suddent, this has disappeared and now MRCPsych is essential

Fair do's, NY. It is ridiculous stuff to have to learn. But the pressure is on for those of us who won't be going up to ST4 in August if we stuff up this time...

Dont pile pressure on yourself Ros, on top of this crazy debilitating atmosphere already created.

Yeah, not moving to ST4 looks disastrous.....but is it the end of the world? NO.

i'm sure you will definitely make it, but dont presurize things.

I dont even know if i'll have a job come August, talk less of training post, but damn.........life goes on.

Yeah, I know. Thanks Kreeley  :-*

It's just that because of my 'scenic route' through medicine, ie 6 yrs out, part-time for the last 8 years, career stalled for over a year by the New Deal back in 2000, and now another year delay courtesy of MTAS(I would have taken part 2 in spring last year if it hadn't been for MMC), here I am at the grand old age of 41 still clerking in patients in the middle of the night- and I'm fed up of it. My current consultant was in the year below me at medical school, for God's sake. Hence the frustration.

But at least I have a training post to lose- I should be grateful for that. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Ros -

The best psychiatrists are those that have taken the scenic route!

:D

F_S

Part of competencies? :lol: :lol:

I completely agree with you Ros...

The frustration and the tension is unbearable... I have never felt so much despair for any other exam in my life......

It is like UTMOST SADISM...... having the ST4 of your choice, sitting in your lap..... but the condition ....PASS THE MORONIC, USELESS, NEW PATTERN EXAM , FIRST ATTEMPT!!!

Of course exams are important, without them nobody would be an Spr or consultant now...... but how many of them do you think had this awful pressure??? Passing them at your own pace is one thing, but this is like a bloody time bomb.....

If I fail, I would have to mourn for my failure plus losing my ST4.....

Again, what Kreely said is right..... hopefully it is not the end of the world.

Philosophically speaking , should one really think ST4 is the Golden Route to Consultant posts.....I am sure there will again some other last minute complications created by this stupid system....

SO, LETS GET ON WITH IT, FOLKS !!! :D;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0