Splitting

Denial

Denigration

Sublimation

Idealization

Rationalization

Reaction formation

Projective identification

1. A patient who had taken large amytrityline overdoses 3 days ago and admitted to medical ward. SHO wsa asked to assessed him before discharge. SHO appeared very worried he will take again and anxious of discharging him. The patient was calm. (1)

Denigration

2. A young adult who was found from case notes being neglected by his mother and deprived to institutional care. On asking, he felt his mother loved him very much. The reason of institutional care was due to money. (1)

Denial

3. On a staff meeting, a staff received complaints from a patient. He was told the other day by the same patient how great he was actually. (1)

Splitting

this is from wiki!! Thanks to kamran once again

Can some one tell me what is denigration??

thanks in advance

I thought denigration was putting someone down i.e to denigrate someone.

I think the answer for the first one is projective identification or splitting - the anxiety of the patient is split and projected into the SHO.

http://search.conduit.com/Results.aspx?SearchType=SearchGoogleCached&q=cache:icZMDAKfY5QJ:http%3a%2f%2fwww.rcpsych.ac.uk%2fpdf%2fpowell2.pdf+denigration%20defence%20mechanism

Thers is a document from Royal College website. I would still go for an answer of denigration as she is not projecting her anger or her own weeknesses to anyone but stays calm; meaning that she is devaluing doctor's opinion.

If she would have been angry towards the SHO and saying him bad words, I would have gone for projective identification.

http://search.conduit.com/Results.aspx?SearchType=SearchGoogleCached&q=cache:icZMDAKfY5QJ:http%3a%2f%2fwww.rcpsych.ac.uk%2fpdf%2fpowell2.pdf+denigration%20defence%20mechanism

Thers is a document from Royal College website. I would still go for an answer of denigration as she is not projecting her anger or her own weeknesses to anyone but stays calm; meaning that she is devaluing doctor's opinion.

If she would have been angry towards the SHO and saying him bad words, I would have gone for projective identification.

thanks kamran

i think you are right; denigration seems the most sensible of the options given.

No- it is projective identification.

The patient has projected all their anxiety into the doctor, who is identifying with it. That is why she's calm- she has got rid of it.

Denigration would be if for example the doctor told the patient she was likely to die if she took another od (anxiety provoking), and she says something like 'What does he know, he's only a stupid doctor.' ie she denigrates him to try and get rid of her anxiety.

No- it is projective identification.

The patient has projected all their anxiety into the doctor, who is identifying with it. That is why she's calm- she has got rid of it.

Denigration would be if for example the doctor told the patient she was likely to die if she took another od (anxiety provoking), and she says something like 'What does he know, he's only a stupid doctor.' ie she denigrates him to try and get rid of her anxiety.

agree with ross

You're welcome ;)

2. A young adult who was found from case notes being neglected by his mother and deprived to institutional care. On asking, he felt his mother loved him very much. The reason of institutional care was due to money. (1)

Denial

This EMI really needs accurate wording because a small change can actually alter the answer.

eg The second scenario- if it says 'a patient who says how happy his childhod was, when in his case notes it says he was taken into care because of severe neglect.' This would be denial.

But sometimes it is quoted as saying the patient says how much he loves his mother, who was forced to put him into care because of lack of money (when it was actually neglect). That could be idealisation, or even reaction formation.

Ros, you are brilliant !!!!!!!!!

can we give our answers jointly in the exam ?

What, from 30 desks apart? I think they might notice :lol: :lol: :lol: Then again, if you'll do my neuropsychiatry for me.... ;) 8-)

What, from 30 desks apart? I think they might notice :lol: :lol: :lol: Then again, if you'll do my neuropsychiatry for me.... ;) 8-)

any day !!!

that is one area that i actually like in the exam :)

Need to get to 100 before Tuesday!

Errr - at the risk of sounding like a pre-operational enfant terrible:

'I like TOTALLY answered this question like in January this year!'

Where's the love Sagi?

>:(

F_S

I know, FS- but if it gets posted again, people don't realise, and my cluster C traits come stomping to the fore- I can't bear the inaccuracies.

Also, it means you get one more post nearer your century...

*sigh* - I just want a chance to take on Sagi and Tanv at Tekken.

Just want some recognition dammit!

Actually - as you guessed Ros - one post left to my:

CENTURY!

F_S

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0