Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ct77

paper 3 - debatable and unclear questions...

6 posts in this topic

was just trying to search the answers for some of the mcq s and realised the questions were very non specific........ if ny one knows do post the probable answers.....

-1) completed suicide risk 1 week after presentation

choices 1in 10, 1in 1000 etc

doesen't specify the age group ( in old age it is more than double), doesent specify the region nebraska or china ???

-2) antidep causing siadh,

choices paroxetine, imipramine, mirtazapine, etc

ssri are implicated, but more sertraline and fluoxetine, paroxetine ???, there is also a paper showing imipramine causing the same, no evidence which is more than the other ???

- 3)family therapy for sexual abuse victim....

include the abuser in the interview, victim alone or call xyz ??? any answers??? some studied say to include the whole family , some say only the victim, ...... my consultant debated the answers for 15 mins.... i regretted asking the question!!!

-4) the emi for flupenthixol causing sleep disturbance....

choices circadian rhythm, parasomnia..etc,

both answers are right circadian rhythm due to hypothalamic and cortisol stimulation and parasomnia due to action on altering rem sleep so which one, there are certainly no evidence comparing the two .....

wondering whether to forward the response to this to rc psych to disregard such questions and others observed by you guys , as the questions werer poorly framed......suggestions????? ;) ;) ;)

It was completed suicide 1 yr after not 1 week.

It was completed suicide 1 yr after not 1 week.

Yes..it was after 1 year of deliberate self harming.

That question was rate of suicide in one year after FIRST episode of DSH.

I presume the answer is 1 in 100 that is always quoted... however the FIRST episode put me off.

Hypomania and breast feeding

Benzodiazepines

Like other psychotropic medications, benzodiazepines are secreted into breast milk. Although complications associated with lorazepam and clonazepam have not been described, one case report has associated diazepam with sedation in the neonate (104).

Valproate

Serum concentrations of valproate found in breast-fed neonates whose mothers took valproate during pregnancy ranged from 4% to 40% of maternal levels but declined from the time of birth (99). Breast-fed infants whose mothers did not take valproate during pregnancy had substantially lower serum concentrations (6% or less of maternal serum levels) (9, 100). No adverse effects have been reported among infants whose mothers were treated with valproate solely during breast-feeding (100). The American Academy of Neurology advocates breast-feeding for mothers maintained on antiepileptic agents (101).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0