Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
naderyakoub

How to Prepare for Paper 3

52 posts in this topic

I thought it would be useful for those sitting Paper 3 in the future to know our views on the best way to approach and review for Paper 3 based on our experience on this exam. I think this will also be helpful in those unlucky candidates who will not pass this time; most probably including myself

I will start by what I am planning to do if I do fail this exam

Clinical Psychiatry:

1- Start as soon as I know the results

2- Read a decent textbook e.g SOTP. Ofcourse I will not be able to read it all but as a minimum I will do Child, LD, Old Age, Psychotherapy and Forensic

3- Go Quickly through Maudsley Guidelines, the latest edition

4- Know Past EMQs by heart  :( :(

5- Forget about Manchester and Birmingham unless they come up with totally new notes and questions

6- Practice as much American style Questions as I can. Also this new book with MCQs and EMIs was not too bad

Critical Appriasal:

1- Do not go very deep in sophisticated statistical tests. A Small Book e.g Gosall and Gosall would be more than enough

2- Practice American MCQs and EMQs in Statistics and Epidemiology. Those I did this time were extremely helpful. One book to use is Appleton & Lange Review of Epidemiology & Biostatistics. You can get it from www.medicalheaven.com

I think Paper 3 is not a difficult exam, you just need to have a good knowledge in Psychiatry and good understanding of Biostatistics along with a little bit of common sense

I hope I won't need to go through this list again  :o :o

Please share your thoughts of How to Prepare for Paper 3

One piece of advice which was given to me by a lecturer (and which I wish I had taken :-[)is to keep an eye on 'Evidence Based Mental Health' which summarises all the clinical research for you

http://ebmh.bmj.com/

I'll start doing that now.... ::)

The College seems to be trying to push us away from textbooks and towards research in our practice. That was my impression of what they wanted to achieve with Papers 2 and 3, particularly.

research & statistics was the most worrying thing for me,but to be honest if you stick to basics it is the easiest bit of the exams.

Remember they ask only BASICS.

Crikey, Fish- was that your idea of basics? :o

Thanks Ros, A good idea is subscribing to the RSS feed of this site and get the latest news delivered to your Outlook / Desktop

great work NY, I wonder to know that will American book of epidemiology help in paper 2 and 3

because it will be different form uk epidemiological studies, please comment

I thought it would be useful for those sitting Paper 3 in the future to know our views on the best way to approach and review for Paper 3 based on our experience on this exam. I think this will also be helpful in those unlucky candidates who will not pass this time; most probably including myself

Clinical Psychiatry:

2- Read a decent textbook e.g SOTP. Ofcourse I will not be able to read it all but as a minimum I will do Child, LD, Old Age, Psychotherapy and Forensic

4- Know Past EMQs by heart :( :(

5- Forget about Manchester and Birmingham unless they come up with totally new notes and questions

6- Practice as much American style Questions as I can. Also this new book with MCQs and EMIs was not too bad

Critical Appriasal:

1- Do not go very deep in sophisticated statistical tests. A Small Book e.g Gosall and Gosall would be more than enough

2- Practice American MCQs and EMQs in Statistics and Epidemiology. Those I did this time were extremely helpful. One book to use is Appleton & Lange Review of Epidemiology & Biostatistics. You can get it from www.medicalheaven.com

I think Paper 3 is not a difficult exam, you just need to have a good knowledge in Psychiatry and good understanding of Biostatistics along with a little bit of common sense

I hope I won't need to go through this list again :o :o

I think the simple Answer is YES. The exam was not UK-specific in anyway. There were some questions actually about Lyme's disease which is mainly in North America (but can also be seen in Europe)

I can not recall a single question mentioning epidemiological figures or any data specific to the UK/ Europe, I am sure other forum visitors who sat the exam would agree.

i agree with you. But the exam could have been easily passed if knew our basics. and studied a standard text book. Anyway guys HOPE FOR THE BEST AND PREPARE FOR THE WORST>

One piece of advice which was given to me by a lecturer (and which I wish I had taken  :-[)is to keep an eye on 'Evidence Based Mental Health' which summarises all the clinical research for you

http://ebmh.bmj.com/

I'll start doing that now.... ::)

The College seems to be trying to push us away from textbooks and towards research in our practice. That was my impression of what they wanted to achieve with Papers 2 and 3, particularly.

Guess we might also need Advances in Psychiatric Treatments and there are MCQs at the end of each topic with answers.

Birmingham course and some of the paper 3 questions were from there!

Critical appraisal is really worth the effort, I thought (though I'm aware others don't agree) CA was straight forward- get a basic book- superego one is good and also there is another small one specifically for psych- ill get the name- written by psych SR.  Know the CA formulae- guaranteed marks.

Loads of the clinical topics were straight out of the summary boxes in SOTB- as previously described by others. Can't know the whole book- but def the most applicable resource.  

Far less obscure questions than old paper 2- as far as I can tell from old posts.

Don't focus on courses- but they are useful to practice questions- I think the trickiest questions were often 'which of the following is the least common associated with...'  They are not the pot of gold exam questions they used to be- however over the next few papers maybe they will be again-College seem pretty lazy re expanding their question pool.

Read the questions properly- 'is...NOT...associated' etc.

If this paper was anything to go by- dont waste your time learning the ever changing genes, receptors, mri/ pet changes associated with... anything- not asked full stop.

Clinical Psychiatry:

4- Know Past EMQs by heart

6- Practice as much American style Questions as I can. [highlight]Also this new book with MCQs and EMIs was not too bad [/highlight]

Critical Appriasal:

I hope I won't need to go through this list again

Hi NY

I think that you have very good points, thanks for this! Can I just ask you to clarify what new (American) book are you referring to? :)

Cheers

Also re 'Appleton & Lange Review of Epidemiology & Biostatistics' I have had a look on Amazon but I am not sure what is the most recent version, do you have the ISBN (number on the back of the book)?

Thanks

Hi FISH and Narendra,

Probably u might have heard of paper 2 this time. It is no way near basics.I have read many past papers and USMLE questions and there is no comparision at all........ and still for about 100 odd questions I didnt  even feel like I had a damn clue. probably basics might be helpful for paper3 but not for paper 2. Anybody who sat paper 2 this time will agree with me for sure. I am not saying out of frustration but the idiots who set the paper standardised it in such a way.

The new Book is that published by Intellectual Signature. This is not American, it is British. Appleton and Lange can be downloaded for free from www.medicalheaven.com along with many other useful books. I do not think there is a recent edition of Appletoon and Lange

Crikey, Fish- was that your idea of basics?  :o

Hi Ros

I am the most Dumb headed guy u can ever find when it comes to critical appraisal.But to my surprise it was not a difficult paper(i mean critical appraisal).Of course how i did is entirely a different issue because it takes me 5 minutes to calculate even basic maths.But if you take a look at the little book by Dr.Gossal,there is one question from almost every section of the book and they were not too complicated.Thje question on the type of study was never ending,but not too hard.We may get a couple wrong anyway.

THE SMALL BOOK BY WEBMASTER IS A GOLDEN GUIDE FOR CRITICAL APPRAISAL AND I CAN GARUNTEE A PASS IF YOU CAN READ IT COVER TO COVER.

Hi NY,

I was unable to download Appleton and Lange, can I download this and print or not.how much is the book useful for paper 3.

The new Book is that published by Intellectual Signature. This is not American, it is British. Appleton and Lange can be downloaded for free from www.medicalheaven.com along with many other useful books. I do not think there is a recent edition of Appletoon and Lange

I totally agree with you

Hi FISH and Narendra,

Probably u might have heard of paper 2 this time. It is no way near basics.I have read many past papers and USMLE questions and there is no comparision at all........ and still for about 100 odd questions I didnt  even feel like I had a damn clue. probably basics might be helpful for paper3 but not for paper 2. Anybody who sat paper 2 this time will agree with me for sure. I am not saying out of frustration but the idiots who set the paper standardised it in such a way.

Crikey, Fish- was that your idea of basics?  :o

Hi Ros

I am  the most Dumb headed guy u can ever find when it comes to critical appraisal.But to my surprise it was not a difficult paper(i mean critical appraisal).Of course how i did is entirely a different issue because it takes me 5 minutes to calculate even basic maths.But if you take a look at the little book by Dr.Gossal,there is one question from almost every section of the book and they were not too complicated.Thje question on the type of study was never ending,but not too hard.We may get a couple wrong anyway.

THE SMALL BOOK BY WEBMASTER IS A GOLDEN GUIDE FOR CRITICAL APPRAISAL AND I CAN GARUNTEE A PASS IF YOU CAN READ IT COVER TO COVER.

I totally agree with FISH

I'm with you FISH AND LOVE.

Im not a maths mind at all but CA was not hard- obviously when you are in an exam and under time pressue mistakes happen but stats were much more reliable marks than any other area.

Is there were calculations, Do we need calculator

webmasters book is a very easy read and you can finish it in a week if u sit tight.

The table on page 83 is the best memory aide u can find on the tests.

Can anybody explain what will the content of General adult(clinical topics),

please explain the following breakdown?????

Breakdown of questions, Paper 3 (Clinical Topics)

General Adult Psychiatry    

Classification of disease, preventative strategies ???

Presentation of illness and treatment??? 32%

Hospital liaison psychiatry

Neuropsychiatry

Medicine relevant to psychiatry & HIV

Research  

I am a little bit confuse, we should study whole general adult psychiatry

Can anybody explain what will the content of General adult(clinical topics),

please explain the following breakdown?????

Breakdown of questions, Paper 3 (Clinical Topics)

General Adult Psychiatry    

Classification of disease, preventative strategies ???

Presentation of illness and treatment??? 32%

Hospital liaison psychiatry

Neuropsychiatry

Medicine relevant to psychiatry & HIV

Research  

I am a little bit confuse, we should study whole general adult psychiatry

Actually I dont think that the breakdown of questions followed in the same pattern as mentioned in the website. there were more questions from CAMHS,LD,Psychotherapy,Neurosis. Nothing from HIV. Not much from schizophrenia. None from rehabilitation...! Thank God.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0