Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Afterlife

Paper 3 questions

134 posts in this topic

Can any one help with this question:

101. A subcultural explaination rather than a biological one in learning disabilities is most accounted for by:

1. An even spread of LD across different socio-economic groups of the population.

2. Moderate LD

3. LD in other members of the family

4. Facial dysmorphologies

5. problems with adaptive functioning

Yes, I think that is the answer. Thanks. I shall be posting more questions for discussion.

Hi Kamran,

shall we go through the exam questions and make an effort to answer all of them? I will be away for one week but I am more than happy to start revising straight away once back. What do other people think?

Im in but Im also upset with the exam restriction issue with staff grades. I am considering sitting the USMLE exam

I thought it was 1.

Even spread rules out some biological issues (like maternal malnutrition) and could point to a cultural or subcultural explaination.

Q 7: If the at risk elderly population in the UK is 55 million then the number (to the nearest thousand) at risk of a fall is (they tell us there were 16 341 cases of fractures and the sample population represents 5% of the at risk population):

1. 27000

2. 10000

3. 40000

4. 50000

5. 60000

The data pertains to the following table.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content-nw/full/190/2/129/TBL2

For Q 08 and 09, please read the following précis:

There is a well established depression scale (A) with 100 items and a scale (B) with 12 items. Scale B only takes 10 minutes to administer. Both scales A and B were administered to 100 depressed in-patients and 100 controls.

Spearman’s correlation r = 0.8 p<0.01. High scores on A correlated with high scores on B

Q 08: Which of the following is true:

1. A and B are highly LINEARLY correlated

2. A is a good screening tool

3. B is a good measure of depression.

4. B can replace A

5. A and B show good inter rater reliability

Q 09: Which of the following is true:

1.Because A is longer than B it must be better

2. A is more valid than B

3. B is more valid than A

4. B is more reliable than A

5. We have not been given enough information to assess reliability

Q14. In LD which are true:

1. Lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser.

2. Propanolol is a good anti-manic agent

3. Donepezil is of proven benefit for dementia associated with Down’s syndrome

Peechoo this restriction is likely to change. I will give myself another chance, don't give up! >:(

Paper 3 questions

Apr 03rd, 2008, 7:38pm Can any one help with this question:

101. A subcultural explaination rather than a biological one in learning disabilities is most accounted for by:

1. An even spread of LD across different socio-economic groups of the population.

2. Moderate LD

5. problems with adaptive functioning

I thought it was 1 too

I have just created a poll for this question and will try to find a satisfactory answer from the text.

I have not read the following article, but I feel that the question has been taken from that article. Can anybody extract the true answer:

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/9/3/166.pdf

2. Moderate LD

[highlight]5. problems with adaptive functioning [/highlight]

I would still go with no. 5 as LD is not equally common in all cultures and is more prevalent in lower socioeconomic groups and thus poorer countries.

Thanks Kamran,

Channabasavanna et al (1985) found that neither

the severity of disability nor the socio-economic

status of the parents had any effect on this attitude.

Rather, it was knowledge of the concept of learning

disability, gained through counselling, that was

most influential. An example of good practice in this

area is provided by Davis & Rushton (1991).

This suggests me that the ans. could be 5

I dono what others think

Two more questions (many questions to follow after this; we shall discuss most of the March 2008 paper)

Q15. During therapy a patient suddenly blurts out near the end of the session “I am abusing my children” before quickly shifting the topic to other things. It is almost the end of the session and the appropriate thing for you to do is:

1. Say “What do you mean by abusing?”

2. Keep your boundaries. End the session on time (ignoring what she has just said) and wait until the next session.

3. Reassure her that everything said in therapy is confidential.

4. Tell her that you have to report her to the authorities.

Q16. A woman having individual psychodynamic psychotherapy with you comes in distressed saying she has had a dream about her father sexually abusing her. You:

1. Acknowledge her distress and ask her to discuss her dream with you.

2. Reassure her that she has not been abused.

3. Tell her you can stop her father from abusing her by contacting the authorities.

Q 21. A patient asks you what “primary and secondary thoughts” are. You say:

1. The primary thought is to guage the magnitude of a potential threat.

2. The secondary thought is the negative automatic thought.

3. The secondary thought gauges the magnitude of the threat.

4. The secondary thought is the change in thought that comes through therapy.

Q 22. When Bion spoke of the “container and the contained” this – In therapy – means:

1. Returning the patient’s difficult feelings back to them in a way they can cope with.

Q 23. The cognitive outcome you would hope to achieve in someone with hypochondriasis is:

1. The complete absence of thoughts of illness.

2. Better role functioning

3. Less distress at thoughts of illness

4. Better able to deal with frustration

Q 20. A patient asks you what “primary and secondary thoughts” are. You say:

1. The primary thought is to guage the magnitude of a potential threat.

2. The secondary thought is the negative automatic thought.

3. The secondary thought gauges the magnitude of the threat.

This was difficult to answer but what I understand is that primary thought is the thought of id or unconscious thought and the secondary thought is the conscious thought and thus the thouht of ego. As a person's ego and superego gets involved in the thoughts after receiving therapy, I would go for the answer 4.

Q 21. When Bion spoke of the “container and the contained” this – In therapy – means:

1. Returning the patient’s difficult feelings back to them in a way they can cope with.

We don't have the other 4 options but any way this option seems to be true. Container - contained is essentially a giver-acceptor relationship. It can be very healthy, neutral or can be very destructive. It can be as healthy as commensal bacteria in our gut or  can be as  destructive as HIV in our blood or Clostridium Difficile in our gut. It can be almost neutral like bacteria in our oral cavity. It can be a bowler-batsman  relationship in which bowler is a giver of the contained object (ball) and the batsman is a cotainer. It can be a batsman fielder  relationship too.   In above statment it seems to be a 'caught and bowled' relationship as the client (bowler) gives the feelings to the therapist (batsman) and the therapist (batsman) throw them back to the client (bowler) in a way that he is able to catch them.

Q 22. The cognitive outcome you would hope to achieve in someone with hypochondriasis is:

1. The complete absence of thoughts of illness.

2. Better role functioning

3. Less distress at thoughts of illness

4. Better able to deal with frustration

i think it is

3. Less distress at thoughts of illness, because total absence in unlikely

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0