Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Critical appraisal topics

6 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone posting feedback about the exam on the forum.

It would be helpful if anyone who did the Paper 3 can recall any critical appraisal topics not covered in the book/critical appraisal classroom course/paper 3 course. Don't need much detail - just words/names is fine. Then at least we can modify the notes for the upcoming classroom courses. We run a two day critical appraisal course and we might need to incorporate some of the advanced statistical topics into the one day course / paper 3.

Thought the appraisal was covered pretty well, if you knew your likelihood ratios - there was a big emphasis on this. A number of people were put out vy the presence of a nomogram - three parallel 'rulers' from which you were to calculate Post test probability using pre-test probability and likelihood ratio.

Covered in Brummy notes and your book.

Not the normogram though.

Essentially they said : A test had a pre-test probability of 10% and a false negative rate of 5% and a specificity of 95%, and could you calculate the post test probability in someone who tests positive.

Certainly gave me shivers when I saw it, but then you break it down, they've actually given you FP and FN rates really, and you can calculate LR and then from the nomogram Post test probability.

Contrived HUH?

What a bunch of Merchant Bankers.

Hi Webmaster,

I subscribed the online critical appraisal course before paper3.

I think the course is very good for the beginners e.g for paper 2or paper1.

The topics in exam where this course did not help at all were

A-Types of Sampling, which I could not find from even Lawree Book

B-Use of normogram to calculate Positive and Negative Likelihood ratios. In the course they taught us the simple formula but in exam the question came with the normogram and they asked to calculate negative likelihood ratio and I was not able to apply any formula there.

C-In the course there was not much clarification about number needed to treat and number needed to harm together from the same

study. In the exam they mixed all values and asked to calculate

EER, CER, NNT, ARR, NNH, CER for harm and EER for harm.

These were the main problems in critical appraisal I faced.

I hope your course will cover those topics well, and try to be more expansive in critical appraisal as it seems college wants us to be a statician come psychiatrist.

Thanks

And to add to it all the stem on the type of study,they combine a lot of info, get you all confused by the time you come to the end of it--and follow it with a battery of ques.Happened both the times--you end up reading it all again trying to break it up--using up a lot of the time. Iattended your course and the book--must admit both were very good.But the college seems to be outdoing most of us,we feel at the wits end.The precis is so big,can't even quote half of it to give you the idea.I felt completely unnerved.

i screwed up on a different level i think....

i knew all teh formulas and stuff but got the table wrong.

i think it would be of help to include in the uptaded notes, how to make a 2x2 table topic...

otherwise i think the WM book covered it prety well.

shame i cant say teh same for the birmingham notes....though to be fair some of the tables in there were usefull.

:)

I think, you should put some more examples for Validity and practicle questions regarding the stat tests, rest ur book is very good and very helpful for this exam.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0