Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ff

exam experience....statisticians or psychiatrists?

48 posts in this topic

ì don't know how did it go for most of you, but compared to the last time this exam was toooooo lengthy, the amount and quality of questions and the time needed to complete them on time was nowhere enough.

my question that has me puzzled about this exam was the type of questions asked in the critical appraisal were too difficult to just attempt...in my experience... and i don't know if the college wants us to become competent statisticians or psychiatrist

Completely agree with you, the exam aftermath has almost left me in a shock.And I thought I was reasonably well prepared.It sort of puzzles me what and how exactly the college wants us to prepare for this exam.Don't know if you guys feel likewise.

that was my point in the last paper 1 n 2 also .....if you are able to dig out my posts on that hehe

anyways i agree it was friggin long and .....umm well downright crap

:lol:

It was a never ending story, a guy next to me left 20 emis I was woebegone and at the end i thought it was me but its a general feel that it ws lenghthy. stats were pathetic.RCPsych should review it.

It was actually pretty easy. I finished 10 minutes early and am hoping to score over 75%

if u believe this then ul believe anything.....Im doomed.crappy paper :):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

can someone from my enlightened colleagues guide me if i am to put in a complaint or write to the college about the exam, how to go about doing it.

ta.

dude /duddette i did write to them.

the first tyme this new system was introduced.

got nowhere with it.a reply came from an spr in birmingham saying,my and other ppl's concerns have been forwarded to the royal college and ...blah blah blah....

so try ur luck but i doubt they would give a hoot or a half :)

can someone from my enlightened colleagues guide me if i am to put in a complaint or write to the college about the exam, how to go about doing it.

ta.

Friend, nothing happend when quite a few people complained about 'the wicked' paper 2 held in feb'08. The chief examiner even gave an interview but hasnt mentioned about doiing anything about that.

So I doubt whether they give any notice for any complaints we make.

wonder what the cut off would be...I wont make it even if the cut off is 30%

MY Exam prep for next time.

The Royal statistical Society (RSS)do a graduate diploma in statistics.. you can start off with the ordinary certificate and work your way up ot almost BSc level. Takes approximately 6 years so you might want to start 6 years ago... or maybe when you did A levels.

Read all of Winnicott, Bion, Yalom - especially Group Therapy, and take 423 supervised cases of psychodynamic therapy with borderline personality disorder.

When you've stopped cutting yourself.....

Write out the NICE guidelines 100 times and then eat them. Ditto the Maudsley PG. This won't come up on the exam but you'll feel so bad that the exam won't be anything in comparison.

Take a course in 'Obscure Research Methodology' - What kind of study would be best in to evaluate the association between Psychiatrists and Chipmunks.

RCT

Cohort?

Case-Control

Ecological.

Keep a kitten in a dark wet cardboard box and poke it in the eye with a sharp stick morning noon and night. - Now you can be a member of the royal college exam board.

MY Exam prep for next time.

The Royal statistical Society (RSS)do a graduate diploma in statistics.. you can start off with the ordinary certificate and work your way up ot almost BSc level. Takes approximately 6 years so you might want to start 6 years ago... or maybe when you did A levels.

Read all of Winnicott, Bion, Yalom - especially Group Therapy, and take 423 supervised cases of psychodynamic therapy with borderline personality disorder.

When you've stopped cutting yourself.....

Write out the NICE guidelines 100 times and then eat them. Ditto the Maudsley PG. This won't come up on the exam but you'll feel so bad that the exam won't be anything in comparison.

Take a course in 'Obscure Research Methodology' - What kind of study would be best in to evaluate the association between Psychiatrists and Chipmunks.

RCT

Cohort?

Case-Control

Ecological.

Keep a kitten in a dark wet cardboard box and poke it in the eye with a sharp stick morning noon and night. - Now you can be a member of the royal college exam board.

hahahahaha :lol: bloody brilliant dude :lol:

WOW Oedipod!!!!!! Expressed exactly what we're all feeling?!!!

Hey guys, anybody got expertise in EMDR, experiencing PTSD.

how difficult can it be??? you just point at people's eyes and ask them of their experiences. at least thats what a group of psychotherapists did to tsunami victims in sri lanka!

neeha...were u actually trying to explain EMDR....

I thought Geek was talking about the PTSD caused by the exam....

Im confused.com now

i am not going to prepare next time.they just dont ask clinical psychiatry rather ask very vague questions for which u can never fing a satisfactory answers.

thinking of qitting psychiatry??????

heyyyyy Easy Khanjee lala.......I am just as pi**ed off with these people as u are but then quitting would not solve the problem would it. how do u know for sure that u wont make it....unless u missed 100 questions. I think we are all in the same situation. I dont think Il make it either but as my baigum would say.....just put the exam on direct debit and it will eventually happen hahahahha

just relax.....I had CA on finger tips but u just cant apply that knowledge to the wuestions they ask u....

I guess the exam was horrific for us all. It is difficult to know exactly what to study. i did my best under the circumstances. i hope we do well!!!

I guess the exam was horrific for us all. It is difficult to know exactly what to study. i did my best under the circumstances. i hope we do well!!!

Ehi, looks like u havent updated your profile.

It still says 'preparing for paper 1&2'

neeha...were u actually trying to explain EMDR....

I thought Geek was talking about the PTSD caused by the exam....

Im confused.com now

well thinking about exam = PTSD and pointing at eyes thinking about exam = EMDR

simple! :D

It Was too lengthy, I could not compmlete the paper, Critical appraisal needs enough amount of time. I do not think MCQ exam is best for critical appraisal.

If people can remember that it was in discussion b4 MTAS that bar for passing the exams for ST might be reduced or there might be 2 styles of exams running concurrently.I think this has been put into practice.For every exam for the 2007 ST cohort it was made easier for them to 'Run thorough'.and for the rest ...you know.What do people think?   CHRONOLOGY DISCRIMINATION...new form of dicrimination. >:( >:(

I ll try it on myself today whilst standing infront of the mirror. I ll be my own therapist and what a unique case study this would be. I ll go down into the history books as the one person who succesfuly cured himself of PTSD and then i ll write my own books and then i ll be famous and will be in the league of Shapero and company. Hahahaha i will be famous and its all becoz a dear acquintance of mine nnehhhaaa helped me with it.

hhhaaaahhaaaahhaaa

What a life?

and my dreams have only come true after sitting paper 3, so PPPPaaapppperrrr 3 is my hero, hahahaahahaha

hahahahahaha...........

This was a ridiculous exam, they mostly try to punish foreign graduates but I heard this exam was hard for everyone ! :(

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0