Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ff

if done feeling sorry, plz. post questions

15 posts in this topic

well guys now we know that the college is not playing fair. the passing percentage was 49.07% and clearly that had an impact on the percentage of people passing.  If they were in anyway considerate they would have adjusted the percentage according to the difficulty of the exam.

enough said. all that we have in our arsenal to retalitate is to be better prepared next time.

so i would appreciate all my colleauges that took this exam, passed or failed, to start posting the questions that they can remember. This is the advanatage that we lack in these new exams is that we don't have a pool of college type of questions that the college has started to ask.

SO EVERYONE START TO POST THE QUESTIONS. AND I MEAN EVERYONE WHO TOOK THIS EXAM.

ta.

Do one thing, Mark: Go through each and every page of the course material you have read so far, and you will remember, what questions the college asked in each topic.

Put them down in writing as soon as you remember them.

Don't worry, if you can't remember what options there were, or how exactly the questions were worded.

Just remember that they asked a question on an old lady, a 43 year old man and a young pregnant woman who have schizophrenia and they asked what meds to use in each of the scenarios, for example.

Then you can go through the relevant Maudsley guideline, and you will remember more.

See how many questions you can remember this way.

If you have a friend/colleague who also sat the exam, get them on board, and you will find that 1+1 is greater than 2.

Good luck. ;)

I've compiled most remembered Q's in the paper 3 feedback thread....

Here's the page I started to compile the q's ...please go through complete thread to get a better idea

http://www.psychclub.com/YaBB.pl?num=1221676124/4#4

for eg

I'm gonna paste edited version of the posts..thanks to those who contributed..please elaborate and clarify/correct if you can

N.B.The comments and credits are owed to the original posts (posters)

EMI on male:female ratios of

Autism

ADHD

Bullimia

Moderate depression in a man who has suffered from MI. Which antidepressant

Fluoxetine

Citalopram

Sertraline

Paroxetine

Imipramine

my answer was Sertraline

EMI

Concepts of Group therapy

&nbsp:lol:ependance

Interpretation

Cohesiveness

Free floating Discussion

Pairing

Universality

Two more options

Questions

Basic assumptions {TWO}

Curative factors {TWO}

Psychodynamic groups (I don’t quite remember this option exactly) {TWO}

A woman who has had Herpes encephalitis develops severe carbohydrate craving and weight gain. Diagnosis?

Options:

Cushing’s

&nbsp:lol:iabetes mellitus

Hypothyroidism

Kluiver-Bucy syndrome

Prader Willi syndrome

Awoman lost her mom recently. A feature which would take your diagnosis towards depression rather than normal grief reaction

Auditory hallucinations

Generalised guilt

Severe insomnia

Loss of appetite

One more option

Which of the following has the best evidence of use in pre-menstrual dysphoria?

Options:

Progesterone

SSRIs

Vitamin B6

Bright light therapy

Oil of evening primrose

Empathy skills are most likely to be delayed in

Options:

A deaf child of deaf parents

A deaf child of hearing parents

A hearing child of deaf parents

A hearing child with one deaf parent

A hearing child adopted t 6 months

Title: Re: Paper 3 recollected questions

In a case of Adult LD with affective disorder, before starting lithium what are the baseline investigation needed to be done:

A. EEG

B. ECG

C. CXR

&nbsp:lol:. Lipid Profile

E. Urinalysis

I cannot find a specific answer particularly relating to the above scenario, but only from Maudsley it stated that

cardiac, renal and thyroid function should be tested. So it meant ECG???

What is the risk of developing neural tube defect if prescribing Epilim to pregnant mother.

A. 1 in 10

B. 1 in 100

C. 1 in 1000

&nbsp:lol:. 1 in 10000

E. 1 in 100000

The answer should be (A) right?

In adult LD, Swallowing problem is the known side effect of which of the following:

A. Lithium

B. Naltrexone

C. Sodium Valproate

&nbsp:lol:.

E.

Forgot D and E option

A lady has a diagnosis of postnatal depression. An self rated scale for severity of her depression

Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale

Becks Depression inventory

MADRS

---------

---------

most effective dose re; risperidone

2mg

4mg

6mg

8mg

m:f ratio in hypothyroidism 2:1

4:1

cant remember others

most likely drug that causes difficulty in swallowing in ld

carbamazepine

lithium

sodium valproate

which of these mood stablizers causes visual field defects

gabapentine

lamotrigene

sodium valproate

vigabatrin

contraindications of zopliclone except

pregnancy

breast feeding

respiratory depression

unstable mystenia gravis

severe sleep apnoea

and this

some best of 5 questions from 27/08/08

some might have already been mentioned above.

please add to the list

1. LEAST LIKELY IN NORMAL GRIEF- HALLUCINATIONS,GUILT etc

2. POSTNATAL DEPRESSION - WHICH IS NOT TRUE

3.IN OCD - DOSE OF REBOXETINE

4.IN OCD- SPEC SCAN SHOWS- DECREASED/INCREASED BLOOD FLOW

5.MC MEDICATION TO CAUSE SIADH- SSRI, ANTISPYCHOTIC ETC

6. SSRI- SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION - RECEPTORS

7. POST MI DEPRESSION- SERTRALINE, ETC

8. BEST HERBAL ANTIDEPRESSANT

9. PRENSTRUAL SYCDROME - TREATMENT

10.SLEEP PATTERNS IN DEMENTIA

11. ANTIEPILEPTICS CAUSING VISUAL DISTURBANCE

12. CLOZAPINE DOSE- 0.89 MG/L , PT HAS FITS- NEXT STEP

13.DONEPEZIL ACTONS

14.BEST MEDICATION IN PARKINSONS DEMENTIA

15. TRANSFERENCE

16. CONTAINTMENT

17.PARANOID SCHIZOID POSITION- SPLITTING ETC

18.BODERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER- THERAPIES

19.ENURESIS

20. NOT USED AS FIRST LINE IN ADHD

21.PT RETURNED FRON USA- FITS ETC

22.FARMER RASH ON BODY- LYME DISEASE ETC

23.ALPHA 2 AGONIST USED IN PT WITH HYPOTENSION+ DRUG ABSE

24.EXHIBITIONISM- ICD10 AND DSM 4 ETC

hit the link above for more

[highlight]In a case of Adult LD with affective disorder, before starting lithium what are the baseline investigation needed to be done:

A. EEG

B. ECG

C. CXR

D. Lipid Profile

E. Urinalysis [/highlight]

When it comes to lithium I guess TFT & RFTs are the ones we are commonly worried about....so is it CXR? .......?to rule out retrosternal thyroid enlargement

even to me it strikes as a bit eccentric and more medical thinking.....well but I dooooooonno what to do with this question then!

well guys now we know that the college is not playing fair [...]  If they were in anyway considerate they would have adjusted the percentage according to the difficulty of the exam.

They did. They used a modified Angoff method for calculating the pass rate, which takes into account the difficulty of each question.

well guys now we know that the college is not playing fair [...] If they were in anyway considerate they would have adjusted the percentage according to the difficulty of the exam.

They did. They used a modified Angoff method for calculating the pass rate, which takes into account the difficulty of each question.

Chris, are you a PTC member? :-/

Nope the info is there if you look for it......

Thank you for raising these concerns as it is helpful to have the feedback. It is not and will never be our intention to set an exam that is not relevant to the knowledge required to practice psychiatry. The main issue seems to be the level of difficulty of the exam itself although I accept there are also concerns about how to revise for the exam. I would like to clarify one or two things for the PTC:

The new exam is not simply a replication of the old exam and it cannot be assumed by trainees that Paper I and II are linked in a straightforward way to the old Part 1.

All the questions are new and that itself raises a problem for trainees taking the exam (as well as for examiners setting the exam) as they are not aware of questions from past attempts and from other people who have taken the exam. Many trainees were part of a network who had a large number of representative questions from the old question bank which gave them some reassurance about the level of difficulty etc.

All the new questions were piloted with trainees who kindly took a mock exam so that we could look at the level of difficulty and reliability of many of the questions. These results informed us about the use of the questions and we discarded many and adapted some others.

The questions were standard set according to the [highlight]Angoff Method[/highlight]. Further details can be obtained here.

The pilot and the standard setting inform us about the level of difficulty of the exam and we will be looking at the pass mark taking that into account along with other statistics about the pattern of correct answers and the reliability of each question etc.

The relevance of the questions is important and we have many discussions about that. We will continue to revisit this aspect and take into account this feedback.

I would like to reassure trainees that the difficulty of the exam is recognized and will be taken into account in setting a pass mark. We do not take into account a pass rate as the exam is standard set.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/training/traineessection/paperiifeedback.aspx

ff & Mark, we had recollected quite a few questions in the days the following the exam. You dont need to go about doing the whole exercise again but a useful thing to do might be to go through the whole thread (link given below) and do the editing, merging and formatting of all the posts, so that we all have respectable question bank of the 'recollected paper 3 August 2008'. We can start solving it then on the forum.

Hope you find it useful

http://www.psychclub.com/YaBB.pl?num=1219707515

Hi

There was a question about child psychiatry and mass treatment???This was a new thing

Sorry I cant remember more than this guys about this question.

Chris, are you a PTC member? :-/

I am now (as of last week). But haven't been to the first meeting yet. Ask me again in a month!

If I can remeber correctly, the question on mass practice had the following options

1. It is used as a treatment ption in depression

2. It is used as a treatment option in TICS

3. It is child mental health an d adult mental health services working together in the area(something to that effect)

There was a question about MASSED practice in Child practice.

- the answer is that they ask the child with tics to do lot of it, it is also called negative practice.

A form of practice of a motor skill in which there is relatively little or no rest between repeat performances of the skill.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0