Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rose_lotus

Material for paper 3

24 posts in this topic

I shall be very grateful if forum members advice me as to how to prepare for paper-3 for I wish to give this exam in august..Also,I wish to know which is the best course material for paper-3.Where can I get the question bank of all the past papers ie march 2008,August-08 and Jan-09.

Go to SPMM course for Paper 3. Reading material for SpMM is great. Book an online Birmingham course and that would sort ur questions bank for the exam questions.

Read the material for Manchester alongside.

Read Critical Appraisal book by Super ego, keep making sense of Critical appraisal for reference and do all the questions given at the end of each chapter of Stephen Lawry's Critical appraisal book.

And u r all ready to take ur Paper 3.

Reading Maudsley guidelines is really good...............few questions come from it.

Its actually easy to read...and improves your clinical practice too.

1.SPMM

2.Birm

3.Manchester

4. Maudslay

5.Lawrie' book

6. Previous exam ( paper 3) Questions

one thing I wont do

- reading chater wise from textbooks for revision - i wasted nearly 4 weeks of my revision reading companion chapter by chapter - no use, just refer to them,

:);):);)

u are right... revision time is hardly the time to read something new,,,, you should have finished reading cover to cover before the revision starts... and then refer to the same book if you have doubts...

I would agree with SpR... In addition, the companion to PS and SOTP are good books to read cover to cover....

The good thing about SOTP is it gives a good list of further reading...

If you have not read a standard textbook cover to cover, I would not spend any money on courses or the exam... if I were you... The first thing is to get a copy of SOTP from the Wyeth representative and read the whole book with the further readings... you should ideally finish reading it atleast 3 months before the exam... (so you can spend 3 months revising)...

In the 3 months, keep coming to SEC and discuss questions here... thats what I did for my theory...

one thing I wont do

- reading chater wise from textbooks for revision - i wasted nearly 4 weeks of my revision reading companion chapter by chapter - no use, just refer to them,

u are right... revision time is hardly the time to read something new,,,, you should have finished reading cover to cover before the revision starts... and then refer to the same book if you have doubts...

I would agree with SpR... In addition, the companion to PS and SOTP are good books to read cover to cover....

If you have not read a standard textbook cover to cover, I would not spend any money on courses or the exam... if I were you... The first thing is to get a copy of SOTP from the Wyeth representative and read the whole book with the further readings... you should ideally finish reading it atleast 3 months before the exam... (so you can spend 3 months revising)...

In the 3 months, keep coming to SEC and discuss questions here... thats what I did for my theory...

Reading txt books doesnot pass exams. Acquiring knowledge is miles apart from passing exams.i dont agree on reading books for exams, do it in ur spare time, did tht blunder for part 1, still regret it. Waste of time and energy.

Only use txt books for reference

I think I am being overconfident - I can be certain only after the results, but this is what I would do if I am taking paper 3 for next diet

1. I will collect all past Qs from this forum - especially 70% Qs have been recollected from the most recent exam - please please do this first!!

2. I will base by study upon SPMM notes as primary source of info (seems more evidence based and easy to read, very much exam oriented info)

3. I will use Gosall book for basic critical appraisal. For more detailed crit appraisal, spmm course will help.

4. I will form a group with maximum 2 others - anything more than this will be noisy and distracting!

5. I will do all online birmingham Qs - but I wouldn't trust the answers very much - I will use companion, Lawrie's book, and college seminar series for finding answers for questions.

6. I will take 5 days study leave and 5 days more leave ((somehow!!) to revise for critical appraisal - its not really 1/3rd, it is nearly 40% of the college paper.

7. I will use Albert Michael EMI book for EMIs section - almost all except critical appraisal are covered there.

I will keep a watch for key BJPsych papers for forest plots etc - the EMIs are based on these usually.

hope it helps

A very well structured paln, i must say

one thing I wont do

Reading txt books doesnot pass exams. Acquiring knowledge is miles apart from passing exams.i dont agree on reading books for exams, do it in ur spare time, did tht blunder for part 1, still regret it. Waste of time and energy.

Of course not, just reading textbooks does not pass exams. Although, knowledge does help...

Thats exactly why I said, you should have done reading the text before 3 months to the exam...

Then use the same book as reference to inform your MCQs practise...

There may be brilliant students who dont read any textbooks at all and still pass exams... I am talking about mere mortals like me, who do...

I dont know where you are from Nerd, but this strategy has helped me through my All India entrance exams (PG) (believe me, it is a difficult exam and I read the whole of Harrison and Bailey cover to cover before the exam), my MD exams (In Bombay, you are expected to read CTP - 2 volumes atleast once before the exam), my DNB (India) exams and my MRCPsych exams... (of all, MRCPsych was the easiest to pass I must say, so technically, may not need to read in detail)...

(ps... that was not a way to flaunt all the exams I have passed  ;) ;) ;))

'Course it was Dorianwalking!!

ok, ok, I admit... ;) ;) ;)

if u hav it flaunt it buddy ;)

I think I am being overconfident - I can be certain only after the results, but this is what I would do if I am taking paper 3 for next diet

1. I will collect all past Qs from this forum - especially 70% Qs have been recollected from the most recent exam - please please do this first!!

2. I will base by study upon SPMM notes as primary source of info (seems more evidence based and easy to read, very much exam oriented info)

3. I will use Gosall book for basic critical appraisal. For more detailed crit appraisal, spmm course will help.

4. I will form a group with maximum 2 others - anything more than this will be noisy and distracting!

5. I will do all online birmingham Qs - but I wouldn't trust the answers very much - I will use companion, Lawrie's book, and college seminar series for finding answers for questions.

6. I will take 5 days study leave and 5 days more leave ((somehow!!) to revise for critical appraisal - its not really 1/3rd, it is nearly 40% of the college paper.

7. I will use Albert Michael EMI book for EMIs section - almost all except critical appraisal are covered there.

I will keep a watch for key BJPsych papers for forest plots etc - the EMIs are based on these usually.

hope it helps

;) ;)if i dont pass this time this wlll exactly be my strategy as well. dont know about albert michael emi book havnt seen it.

i feel more than the superego critical appraisal notes its the superego online critical appraisal course that is more helpful to understand the subject matter in unbelievably simple terms. :) :) :)

...errrr ummmm have what exactly :-/ 8-)

...errrr ummmm have what exactly :-/ 8-)

Anything 'you think' is worth flaunting... I would say...

but then it depends on what people themselves think are 'worth flaunting'...

eg: Pamela Lee can flaunt her boobies, Abhishek Bachchan can flaunt his wife, Derren Brown can flaunt his suggestion skills, Beyonce can flaunt her long legs, Sachin can flaunt his batting skills, Chandler can flaunt his sense of sarcastic humour... etc etc etc...

:lol: :lol:

But that doesnt mean Pamela Lee's assets are the best in the world... but she believes it is worth flaunting anyway... same with Abhishek Bachchan's wife is not the pretiiest thing to flaunt, but he thinks its worth it... (But Beyonce's legs are the best)...

The point is, me sitting with me family at hime, chilling after a couple of pints... :) :)

But that doesnt mean Pamela Lee's assets are the best in the world... but she believes it is worth flaunting anyway... same with Abhishek Bachchan's wife is not the pretiiest thing to flaunt, but he thinks its worth it... (But Beyonce's legs are the best)...

The point is, me sitting with me family at hime, chilling after a couple of pints... :) :)

Friday evening

one thing I wont do

Of course not, just reading textbooks does not pass exams. Although, knowledge does help...

Thats exactly why I said, you should have done reading the text before 3 months to the exam...

Then use the same book as reference to inform your MCQs practise...

There may be brilliant students who dont read any textbooks at all and still pass exams... I am talking about mere mortals like me, who do...

I dont know where you are from Nerd, but this strategy has helped me through my All India entrance exams (PG) (believe me, it is a difficult exam and I read the whole of Harrison and Bailey cover to cover before the exam), my MD exams (In Bombay, you are expected to read CTP - 2 volumes atleast once before the exam), my DNB (India) exams and my MRCPsych exams... (of all, MRCPsych was the easiest to pass I must say, so technically, may not need to read in detail)...

(ps... that was not a way to flaunt all the exams I have passed  ;) ;) ;))

Reading books cover to cover is a good way of learning practice wise but not for the exam. Personally, I only choose one review material for the exam (either manchester or birmingham) and read them over and over again so that I can recall them. Read old exams and if the course material does not offer enough answer then read books for reference.

But if someone has time to read books cover to cover 3 months before the exam, then there is no harm to do that. Unfortunately not all of us have that spare time. My spare time mostly spent in changing nappies :)

If going for the material try using either spmm or manchester. Birmingham has a lot of discrepancies

I believe there is only one book by albert miechel....EMQ's for MRCPsych-part1 and part 2.Please correct me if I am wrong.......

Rose

Hi all..

can anyone sugest me ..wheather Superego critical appraisal course good paper 3..i was thinking it was good for old part 2 exam...i am aslo planning to attend birmingham paper 3 course.

thanks

Prasad

Hi all..

can anyone sugest me ..[highlight]wheather Superego critical appraisal course good paper 3..i was thinking it was good for old part 2 exam[/highlight]...i am aslo planning to attend birmingham paper 3 course.

thanks

Prasad

:o blashphemy !!!!!

to me superego is da best for critical appraissal.

their online lectures are a very good platform to start from

to me superego is da best for critical appraissal.

their online lectures are a very good platform to start from

Superego online lecture is very good indeed especially for the recent paper 3. No complicated stats question. Just need additional reading on certain topics which has been posted in the past.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0