Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ipsitachakrabarti

New Exam Regulations--Timeframe

36 posts in this topic

The updated college guidelines (Jan 2009)say a pass in Part 1 and Paper 3 will be valid only until July 2010.On the other hand a pass in Papers 1 and 2 will be deemed permanent.What are people's thoughts on this? This is shocking and extremely demoralising to me and maybe several other colleagues who are really stuck with the new Paper 3. If this happens we shall be left nowhere.

Thanks Totalbliss to bring this issue...its completely unacceptable..the college didnt tell us that a pass in part1 is valid only until 2010.

i think we all should write to the college again...i really dont know why royal college is not looking all the issues before making this kind of change.

As far as I know this was discussed as far back as 2007, before the first jobs were taken up in MTAS. The transitional period for those who had sat the exam under the old system would be three years to give a chance for them to get the paper 3 and CASC. I'm not sure why you haven't had this information before now. It's discussed on the college website here in some of the early documents highlighting the changes to the exam format: http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/docs/MRCPsych%20Examinations%20ab%20FINAL%20(2).doc

Presumably if you didn't attain the CASC before the deadline, you would then have to resit papers 1 and 2. Whether your paper 3 pass would still be banked for the 600 odd days, I'm not sure. But if you already were eligible for the paper 3 in August 2007 it would mean that you had at least 6 sittings in which to get the 2 exams under your belt by 2010.

Sorry, for some reason the link doesn't work when you click it. It does work though if you copy and paste it into the address bar on your browser directly.

Chris is right.

This issue has been there for a while for atleast a year I would say.

The link doesn't work because there are spaces in the url substituted with %20 which is also found in scripts. However, as Chris wrote, copy and pasting into the address bar works fine.

this is unacceptable.Im not sitting paper 1 and 2 if I dont get paper 3 by july 2010.Never

this is unacceptable.Im not sitting paper 1 and 2 if I dont get paper 3 by july 2010.Never

its not only paper3 peech u ll have to pass ur casc as well by that time. but dont worry i am sure u will. ;)

dunno MP3. Ive failed this a couple of times and I was certain I would pass this time. why could they not squeeze in another 2 percent for me hahahhahaha.

Lets hope we all pass MP3

i think the mistake u and me made was concentrating on the previous questions only and the easy seeming bits and completely neglecting critical appraisal which is not a pleasant thing to read anyway.but i guess the trick is be a master of critical appraisal and then v can smash all those stupid questions with 100% certaininty.if we get it we get it. at least there is no ambiguity there like was it 55 % or 55.5 % of convicts who scratched their balls and found it a satisfying experience. >:(

and i think we were not even using the critical appraisal section on the forum. i will be starting soon to crack on criticall ppraisal and join me there. ;)

I knew this but a bit confused again how many attempts I have until part 1 becomes invalid(for bothPaper3 and CASC)?

anusha there is no restriction on number of attempts. by july 10 u shud clear paper 3 and casc thats all. unless we have the timetable for 2010 its difficult to say how many exams will be there within that period.

my guess is 2 paper 3s and 2 cascs. so if u clear ur paper3 this time then u ll have 2 chance at casc i wud imagine.

its not only paper3 peech u ll have to pass ur casc as well by that time. but dont worry i am sure u will. ;)

I'm not sure. Surely if you get paper 3, then that will be 'banked' as per usual under the new system. Worth checking with the exam department.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/2009%20Exams%20Eligibility%20Criteria%20and%20Regs%20Final%20190209%20KM-FP.pdf

chris it clearly says in page 5 that after july 31 2010 to sit for casc u need a pass in pares 1,2 and 3. so effectively that means one can bank on old stlyle part 1 only till that date.and the fact that u an bank on paper 3 does not make a difference.one will have to retake 1 and 2.

Fair enough. I'd still ring and check with them if I was in that situation, to be honest. Anyway, hopefully no-one will need to go back to sit the paper 1 and 2. There's still a couple of chances to sit the exams before 2010.

This talked about paragraph on Page 5 is indeed confusing and the college as usual is unable to offer a good explanation.If you phone them,they end up reading out what is written.I find it frustrating,why should a cohort be penalised(with regards to no. of attempts)just because they happen to be a part of the changing system.People who have not been a part of the transition can take any no.of attempts.This seems completely unjustified and unfair.

chris has a point as well totalbliss u can interpret things in a different way saying that a pass in paper 3 shud b valid for whatever number of days. no harm in trying that. email them rather than calling.

This talked about paragraph on Page 5 is indeed confusing and the college as usual is unable to offer a good explanation.If you phone them,they end up reading out what is written.I find it frustrating,why should a cohort be penalised(with regards to no. of attempts)just because they happen to be a part of the changing system.People who have not been a part of the transition can take any no.of attempts.This seems completely unjustified and unfair.

Anusha, you should bear in mind that the old exam format required you to pass the OSCE otherwise you resit the theory..........................likewise for Part2, you resit the whole exam until you pass.

I think this current exam format is fairer with provision to bank the written exams at anytime while attempting the CASC. Some people even have paper 2/3 without paper 1, and dont have to do the whole exams all over...i think this is good.

Ofcourse, there's no succour for those in transition................if you dont pass. I was a transition candidate as well, and must confess this has been out since 2007. That's why a lot of SG are now doing the exams b4 their part1 'expires'. Whether its fair or not is another debate.

Still not clear. Worried as failed 3 times either for 0.5 or 0.4. You can imagine the confidence level at present. Anyway needs to start again to concentrate next attempt, not to worry about 2010. Who knows what will happen on that time!

Thanks everybody.

Still not clear. Worried as failed 3 times either for 0.5 or 0.4. You can imagine the confidence level at present. Anyway needs to start again to concentrate next attempt, not to worry about 2010. Who knows what will happen on that time!

Thanks everybody.  

That's the spirit.............like football managers say, one game at a time or concentrate on the next step.

I don't know that you have been limited that much though. How many sittings will there have been for the paper 3 and CASC between 2007 and 2010? It must be about 6 or 7. In the old system if you hadn't passed the part 2 after that many opportunities, then the college tutor would be taking you aside to ask why not, and if you had considered a non-training post. Towards the end as MTAS loomed, people were losing their training posts after only 2 attempts at the part 2. The deaneries just said 'Well you've had two attempts and haven't passed, therefore we have fulfilled our obligation to provide you with a training post while you sit the exams. We aren't going to extend your contract for another year.' 6 attempts at that time would have been a luxury! I can understand how frustrating it must be to be  in this situation, but even at the end of it you will still be entitled to resit the papers 1 and 2. As others have said though, the important thing is to focus on not having to, by putting everything into the paper 3 and CASC in the next couple of sittings and having membership by 2010.

Thanks everybody.  

That is the spirit.Goodluck next time.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0