Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dasi

Rock bands of the century

158 posts in this topic

Any way I have this facination of watching movie about Curt Kobain(?) or reading his biography.

There is this movie inspired by the last days of Cobain called 'Last days'....by Gus van sant... its very arty... but gets the jist of how cold his life was...

Kurt Cobain was a genius... typical case of a misfit for the society... struggled immensely with his physical problems, creativity, sexuality, a mood disorder and substance use...

Most of his songs are done in a detuned guitar (I dont think it was a drop d tuning) ... which only he knew... thats why you never get his songs covered well by others... He is and was the most angry singer I have ever heard... and worst of all, all anger was turned inwards...

Cobain's lyrics and music inspired the whole grunge revolution... including the music of pearl jam, stone temple pilots and most of all... soundgarden...

@maverick

Cobain's live shows are not intended for the precision of the music... it was all about the intensity and release... Some (most) people dont like it... I could never relate to Guns and roses, (especially the second album onwards...); I can never relate to beatles intial stuff (they are too happy and mushy for me; can never relate to Rolling stones (they are just show offs with very limited repertoire... so are oasis and cold play)... but that doesnt make them bad bands... its just that I dont like it...

I guess its just a state of mind...

Since you mentioned Mason... if you want to see him in action really, you shud see 'Live at Pompei', the 'one of these days I am going to cut you into pieces' track...

Anyone for Sepultura

I liked their roots album.

How bout the Bangalore based '' Millennium''? - A Neurologist was in their group. They did pull some good numbers.

Anyone for Sepultura

I liked their roots album.

How bout the Bangalore based '' Millennium''? - A Neurologist was in their group. They did pull some good numbers.

Ahhh.... Roots bloody roots... Iggor cavalera is an excellent drummer...

Personally, my favourite album is Chaos AD....

Iggor does some excellent drums on Symptoms of the universe cover of black sabbath... very fast rolls... ratamahatta and territory...

Just an update... Igor got back with his brother Max (former vocal on sepultura in the chaos and roots albums...) in 2008 to form cavalera conspiracy... they are good as well...

Agni too was a good cover band. HAte parikrama, unreal, pseudos. Finally discovered their forte in good ol hindi pop rock. Jethro Tull is one of the greatest in my list. Ranting now hehe) Saw them live 3 yrs ago AMAZING. Ian Anderson kicks real a**. Anyway dorian I feel the newer drummers always got it wrong when they  went and did stunts. The real taste of percusiion for me is as a rhythm and accompaniment as are other instruments and as a whole song. Moby dick (or compositions like it) sound good cause they incorporate other instruments, if you get my drift.

I also felt Nirvana was overrated as a band, Cobain was good but the later albums became predictably angrier, and compositions darker. The feeling and the movement (grunge) that they started of course was the greatest of their achievements.

Any Indian bands currently on the UK tour?

[highlight]Most of his songs are done in a detuned guitar (I dont think it was a drop d tuning)[/highlight]

Thanks Dorian walking, what does it mean?? Just a random guitar or some technically faulty guitar? Yes I supppose Nirvana was the poineer in Grunge, eventually great Foo Fighters emerged. In a way it was good for music that Nirvana didn't last. Apparently Dave Grohl was thinking about leaving Nirvana due to Kurt's drug problems.

Agni too was a good cover band. HAte parikrama, unreal, pseudos. Finally discovered their forte in good ol hindi pop rock. Jethro Tull is one of the greatest in my list. Ranting now hehe) Saw them live 3 yrs ago AMAZING. Ian Anderson kicks real a**. Anyway dorian I feel the newer drummers always got it wrong when they  went and did stunts. The real taste of percusiion for me is as a rhythm and accompaniment as are other instruments and as a whole song. Moby dick (or compositions like it) sound good cause they incorporate other instruments, if you get my drift.

I also felt Nirvana was overrated as a band, Cobain was good but the later albums became predictably angrier, and compositions darker. The feeling and the movement (grunge) that they started of course was the greatest of their achievements.

Agree about parikrama.... thats the band with sonam sherpa as their quitarist isnt it???

Pentagram is better....

But Flak, the newer lot are not less talented in any sense... you should follow Chris Adler with Lamb of God... I dont know how much you look into technical stuff... but Chris' and Joey's double pedal works are one of the best ever...

Older bands concentrated on hands being faster,,, eg: Nicko Mcbrain of Maiden... quite fast hands... but hardly anyone used double pedals...

And then you have Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Portnoy from Dream Theater are just fantastic.... you shud follow their work man... they are just amazing... and they blend in so well with their bands....

[highlight]Most of his songs are done in a detuned guitar (I dont think it was a drop d tuning)[/highlight]

Thanks Dorian walking, what does it mean?? Just a random guitar or some technically faulty guitar? Yes I supppose Nirvana was the poineer in Grunge, eventually great Foo Fighters emerged. In a way it was good for music that Nirvana didn't last. Apparently Dave Grohl was thinking about leaving Nirvana due to Kurt's drug problems.

Drop D is a particular tuning where the low E is tuned down to a D... I dont know if you have listened to a band called King's X... They use drop D tuning in most of their songs...

Cobain's was intentionally tuned that way, but it just brought out all the amazing tones... have you heard the track Big Cheese and Negative creep in his Bleach album... both of them just have 2 chords on it... but he manages to create so much emotion on the tracks...

By the way, if you are a fan of Cobain.... There is this movie I was talking about by Gus Van Sant called Last days... based on Cobain's last days... Its quite a boring movie but very realistic... Its on film four tomorrow at 12 at night...

Agree about parikrama.... thats the band with sonam sherpa as their quitarist isnt it???  

[highlight]Pentagram is better[/highlight]....

[highlight]But Flak, the newer lot are not less talented in any sense... you should follow Chris Adler with Lamb of God... I dont know how much you look into technical stuff... but Chris' and Joey's double pedal works are one of the best ever..[/highlight].

Older bands concentrated on hands being faster,,, eg: Nicko Mcbrain of Maiden... quite fast hands... but hardly anyone used double pedals...

And then you have Dave Lombardo  from Slayer and Portnoy from Dream Theater are just fantastic.... you shud follow their work man... they are just amazing... and they blend in so well with their bands....

Agree abt penta, completely escaped my brain. Well I dont mind any sort if the percussion adds to the songs. I personallly favour the plain old single pedal drums. Just feel more original. And Bonham was a master of the unheard of beats. But will give a listen to LoG and others you suggest.

Even Metallica joined the mainstream!! :( After playing their 'one' they just ............................ withered away!! :(

[highlight]There is this movie I was talking about by Gus Van Sant called Last days... based on Cobain's last days... Its quite a boring movie but very realistic... Its on film four tomorrow at 12 at night...[/highlight]

Thanks Dorian, damn I missed it, I was in India. I watched few minutes of this movie long time ago on sky but my friends didn't like it for obvious reason so had to change it. Never mind where there is a will, there is a way. So will watch it sometime. Now that I know the name of the movie. Nope I didn't understand your expalnation about detuning. I think I may not understand that now, but hope that sometime form now I may....

Even Metallica joined the mainstream!! :( After playing their 'one' they just ............................ withered away!!  :(

Metallica's Black album was probably the last of their good ones... Even Black was so commercial... with Unforgiven and Nothing else matters (both of which are classics)... I think they got caught in the corporate machinery... all the wars with Napster and all... and to be honest, Lars is probably not the best drummer in the world... they were heavily supported by Mustaine, Burton and Newstead, all of them who left and thus left Metallica in a void...

Their Garage inc is a good double album... they have covered a number of bands... including sabbath... and its real good.. Am I evil, So what, Blitzkreig, etc...

Load, Reload etc etc are really not upto the mark...

Nothing (none of their tracks) compares to One, Sanatarium, Bells toll etc...

Pearl jam?

eddie vedder has probably the most tuned snarls ive ever heard...

oh and Joe satriani the guitar god....although technically he isnt a band i suppose...

got a chance to see judas priest a couple of years ago...

Rob halford may be old but can he rock!

They were opened by scorpions who have in one word become...cringeworthy

Oh BTW did we mention Sabbath, the original line up? I think it still rocks like hell. Ozzy did well even by himself though.

Oh BTW did we mention Sabbath, the original line up? I think it still rocks like hell. Ozzy did well even by himself though.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh... Now we are talking on the same wavelength flak...

If you like Sabbath, then you must listen to Nativity in Black 1 and 2, tribute album to the Sabbath.... (and obviously all the sabbath albums)

I love the Symptom of the Universe covered by Sepultura...

I agree that he was overshadowed in Nirvana. I read somwhere that Nirvana got bigger when 'drummer joined the band'.

I am jealous of your brother, would like to drum, its my dream!

Most of his videos are funny, you might like Breakout OST for Me Myself & Irene.

My bro is a 'doc' , and he plays semi professional... he does quite well with double pedals... He has a 'Pioneer' (British) kit with Zildjain symbols...  I play the guitar a bit, (I have an Ibanez with marshall amps and a Krg processor) so we tend to have a good time when we get together... mostly heavy stuff... like sabbath or maiden or even Nirvana...

My Bro plays tabla as well... and he kind of graduated on to drums... (I dont know if you can call it graduated, but yeah)

You shud take up lessons if youlike it... its quite boring initially, but you kind of get a hang of it...

Hey Dorian, that sounds wicked !

So you are a bit of an axe-weilder ! Great stuff. ;)

I can imagine the jammin sessions with your bro.

We had a bit of a band at college-I used to do the vocals-'' ...and we tried real hard--but Jimmy quit, Titty got married....'' ;) :silly:

Keep rockin' ;)

Dorian, heard you went to the live concert of David Glimour sometime ago. :) Must have been something . That's my chill out DVD on a Saturday night usually :)-miss the pot though ! ;):lol: :lol:

Are you going for the Eagles concert in July ?

No SP... I went for the Roger Water's concert... I did manage to see the Dave Gilmour concert... live at Gdansk on tv, though... thought it was ok...

Not a big fan of Eagles... would go for a Floyd/ Sabbath/ Ozzy concert if I got the chance though...

I am a bit scared to go to any of the metal concerts... probably being the only brown man there, there is a chance of getting thrashed by skinheads... Megadeth and Judas priest played at Glasgow this week... I wanted to be there so bad, but didnt have the guts... and no company basically...

Anyone has any experience at metal concerts?????

For all Floyd fans... look at this site... number of podcasts

http://braindamage.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=podcasts

If you like Sabbath, then you must listen to Nativity in Black 1 and 2, tribute album to the Sabbath.... (and obviously all the sabbath albums)

[highlight]I love the Symptom of the Universe covered  by Sepultura.[/highlight]..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its almost unreal how I agree with you, was just lsitening to it in the car after work. Really got my angst out hehe.BTW I think NIB is the best tribute album EVER. You even get the feel of what Ozzy might have sounded if he had carried on, in Ironman. Man he slurs liek shit, all the booze having killed parts of his brain hehe.

[highlight]I love the Symptom of the Universe covered  by Sepultura.[/highlight]..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its almost unreal how I agree with you, was just lsitening to it in the car after work. Really got my angst out hehe.BTW I think NIB is the best tribute album EVER. You even get the feel of what Ozzy might have sounded if he had carried on, in Ironman. Man he slurs liek shit, all the booze having killed parts of his brain hehe.

Hell we should meet... and open a couple of cans over Sabbath man...

You should also get the NIB 2, it has a very good rendition of Snowblind by system of a down and a very very wierd version of Sabra cadabra by a band called Hed... The worst bit is where bustarhymes raps on Iron man... they just killed it...

Sabbath Reunion - live double CD is a must have Flak.... Ozzy is the the man... as grim as they can get, I think it is one of the White Zombie guy who said... Sabbath is more addictive than coke or pussy... and I agree whole heartedly... In the words of Hetfield, I hate everything hippie, including the Beatles... Sabbath is Heaven, Ozzy is God...

Hell we should meet... and open a couple of cans over Sabbath man...

You should also get the NIB 2, it has a very good rendition of Snowblind by system of a down and a very very wierd version of Sabra cadabra by a band called Hed... The worst bit is where bustarhymes raps on Iron man... they just killed it...

[highlight] ;)Sabbath Reunion - live double CD is a must have Flak..[/highlight].. Ozzy is the the man... as grim as they can get, I think it is one of the White Zombie guy who said... Sabbath is more addictive than coke or pussy... and I agree whole heartedly... In the words of Hetfield, I hate everything hippie, including the Beatles... Sabbath is Heaven, Ozzy is God...

Already got it dude. Havent heard it in a while. Hmm might just do that today! Thanx hehe

[highlight]Anyone has any experience at metal concerts?????[/highlight]

Not been to metal gigs but been to Punk Rock gig, with my GF, didn't have problems at all. So probably it would be safe with someone preferably with a girl I guess.

[highlight]I used to do the vocals[/highlight]

Thats great SP!

oi old timers...whats up with the sabbath stuff.

nu metal rocks.

plzzzzz dont laugh ok guys.

I was in pak last week and a cuz of mine played the affirmation album by savage garden....and I lifed it

oi old timers...whats up with the sabbath stuff.

nu metal rocks.

plzzzzz dont laugh ok guys.

I was in pak last week and a cuz of mine played the affirmation album by savage garden....and I lifed it

Err savage garden is good too ;)

No SP... I went for the Roger Water's concert... I did manage to see the Dave Gilmour concert... live at Gdansk on tv, though... thought it was ok...

Not a big fan of Eagles... would go for a Floyd/ Sabbath/ Ozzy concert if I got the chance though...

I am a bit scared to go to any of the metal concerts...  probably being the only brown man there, there is a chance of getting thrashed by skinheads... Megadeth and Judas priest played at Glasgow this week... I wanted to be there so bad, but didnt have the guts... and no company basically...

[highlight]Anyone has any experience at metal concerts?????[/highlight]

For all Floyd fans... look at this site... number of podcasts

http://braindamage.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=podcasts

I used to go to the one at Donningto park in July each yr. Last 2 yrs, no friends to go with :( Its fun man, really, I didnt face any racism (surprising? maybe!) But people are usually too chilled out or stoned hehe to give a .... Anytime you wanna go... And I saw Jethro Tull live in Newcastle city hall a good 4 -5 yrs ago. Man Ian Anderson ROCKSSSSS Unbelievable experience.!!