sagirparkar

Movies related to psychiatry

53 posts in this topic

some of us SHOs within the East London rotation have started a cineforum (which is a fancy name for a movie club) and watch a movie pertaining to psychiatry every alternate week..

the response has been mild really, but its a hard core group who attend regularly !!!!

it is fun, and its an interesting way for us SHOs get together and discuss not only about the movie, but things in general.

its a sort of way to keep the camaraderie going.

i was just wondering if any of our colleagues in other hospitals have done a similar thing...

surferosh.png

Sounds like a good idea. I guess we had something similar when I was in Medical School. Who chooses the films, and where/when do you meet?

Oh this is limitless. Festen, Blue/Orange (if you can get hold of it), Iris, Catch22, Pollock

hi.. its us SHOs who choose the movies.. and we rent them out from blockbusters, or borrow them from someone.. or some of us have it in their collection already...so obtaining movies is not an issue at all :D

we meet at the big board room in our hospital, and play the movies in a laptop, but projected onto a big screen !!!!!!!!

and one of us brings a decent set of speakers too... so its more or less like a small cinema hall experience, without Dolby (TM) ofcourse !!!!!!!!!1

but its fun... next screening is Betty Blue, a french movie about a girl who is in love.. dont know the rest of the story.. :P

That is such a great idea!

Well done!

I am aware that they are showing films at the Tavistock Clinic every month and they have discussions with psychotherapists afterwards...

The list is absolutely endless...

just google psychiatry and cinema!

there are books out there as well!

Good luck!

nice to see that this idea is appreciated.. and i appreaciate and certainly have taken on board all of your suggestions. we did watch one flew over the cuckoo's nest..

wonderful acting by jack nicholson... i would recommend 'Spider' as well.. based on a chap with schizophrenia, and ralph fiennes has done an excellent prtrayal...........

I would agree that Spider is a good film and well acted... unless you want to pick up anything about mental illness that is.

***POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD***

Schizophrenia is portrayed as a illness causing unpredicable violence to friends and (relative) strangers, with a Freudian-based cause (what... even 100 years later ??) and with no hope of remission or cure.  Services are distant, uncaring and waiting to re-admit.  Broadmoor (the director thinks in the DVD extras) is a prison (rather than a hospital).

Only saved by being set in the recent past and being so well acted (Ralph Fiennes, Gabriel Byrne and Amanda Richardson if my memory serves me right) this film otherwise re-inforces all the cliches about mental illness, schizophrenia, mental health services and violence.

15 Park Avenue

dunno if ppl hv heard of this...its actually an indian movie...but mostly in english!

central character has schizophrenia....portrays her life and life of her carer(sister). comes across largely as a documentary on schizophrenia..but was impressed that they bothered to get a lot of facts reasonably right..impressive for an indian movie!

also, loved the colourful character of the psychiatrist ;)

do tell wot u think if u manage to see it

we r thinking of 15 Park Avenue.. but dont know where to get the DVD from.. cos we need subtitles as well in it.. else non hindi speaking public wont be able to understand it...

and Number 6, i do agree with u, that movies still portray psychiatry in a very typical manner.. but then u have to understand that the movies are made by ppl who dont understand the subject for an audience who still havent changed their mindset, and lilke a lot of drama in the movie with some violence associated with the schizophrenic patient.. else how will the movie sell....

not that this an excuse... and they can always be the first to portray the correct picture.

and in favour, Spider, it has been set in that era when psych services still werent up to mark... so please bear that in mind..

its not that i am favouring the director here, he isnt my father-in-law or something.. but he has done his best.. we cant help it if the audience and general public still think abt psych patients and even doctors in that light....

Malcolm & Barbara.  A Documentary, but available.  Not at Blockbusters.

What about Nick Broomfield's Monster - Special Edition / Aileen: Life And Death Of A Serial Killer?

Hi guys

Psychiatry and cinema seems like a brilliant concept.....in US residencies they even have seminars on this subject...

I have been trying to make a collection of films based on this subject..

'One flew over cuckoo's nest' is indeed a classic

try the following:

As good as it gets (OCD)

The Aviator (OCD)

Iris (Alzheimer's dementia)

will post more later....

cheers!

hey psycho doc...

good going pal.. we seen the cuckoos nest and aivator... keep the posts coming in... we really appreciate it...

what about the hours?

my left foot?

the rain man?

virgin suicides?

the birds?

a gentleman called Woody Allen?

Good luck with your hunting...!

;)

Part of the Medical Student teaching for 5th years in Aberdeen is similar. We get them to watch a psych related film and then discuss the issues around it afterwards.

I'd recommend K-Pax, good performances by Spacey and Bridges and you can have enless fun deciding if he was really an alien or not! Other ones used are Memento, Iris, OFOTCN (ot course) As Good as it Gets, The Shining and A Beautiful Mind.

What struck me when you watch some of these films though is the negative image attached to psychiatry. There's actually a study in the Journal of ECT (Volume 17(4), December 2001, pp 264-274) looking at the portrayal of ECT in American films. Its surprising the number of films that include this, and also the portrayal of a lack of benefit, consent or anaesthetic.

It's no wonder that the public perception of psychiatry is so poor, when all they have to go on are these. But then I guess films about successful treatment of depression with antidepressants wouldn't sell!

Hello again!

I can also suggest another fiml with Johnny Depp, Don Juan De Marco, very interesting with Marlon Brandon playing the psychiatrist...Good fun

;)

At homerton hospital, the consultants hosted a xmas dinner, where they had a quiz based on movie clips , and the winner got to keep a few of the dvd's amongst other things.

It was good fun

I'll see if we can get hold of the movies the clips came form

cool pal.. that would be nice..

our next screening is Betty Blue, a french movie about a girl who gets i-dont-know-what...

apparently its a good movie...

and after that we r thinking of either 15 Park Avenue with subtitles ofcourse (provided we get it someplace)

else it might be a beautiful mind...

the club is good fun.. and its really a core of us SHOs.. though we think the membership might grow after the part 1 exams..keeping fingers crossed..

as summer approaches, we might have a pub session after that.. !!!!

our gang saw Betty Blue today.. french movie.. i couldnt manage to watch it, as the screening was in my week of nights :(

but from what i heard, the movie is damn good.. but looks like the producers were a bit short of budget when it came to clothes....

sorry guys!!

was busy with miserable part 1,...hence couldnt reply earlier to the posts...

i wud also suggest the following:

1. Girl Interrupted

2. Mar Adentro (the sea inside)...oscar winner best foreign language film 2005

3. Taxi driver

check them out if u havent seen them yet!!

cheers!!

Title: Girl, Interrupted

Date: 1999

Actors: Winona Ryder, Angelina Jolie, Whoopie Goldberg, Vanessa Redgrave

Director: James Mangold

Plot: Based on the book by Susanna Kaysen. Tells of a young woman's hospitalization during the 1960s. Jolie won a Golden Globe and Academy Award for her portrayal. Winona Ryder portrays a woman with Borderline Personality Disorder. Also includes Antisocial Personality Disorder, Eating Disorders, Pathological Lying, Self-Harm, Suicide, etc.