Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oohouch

Differential diagnosis?

13 posts in this topic

A 30 year-young male who is a little slow in everything he does. Also, he is nearly deaf and uses a hearing aid. Yet, with a GUN, he is gifted. Gentle and playful on one hand. Rough and brutal on the other. His mind works in a very simple manner. Good/Bad. Yes/ No. Black./White. For him, either you are a good man, or a bad man... No middle way out.

I would appreciate if anyone could be helpful in finding out the Differential diagnosis or diagnosis?with regards

Very sketchy and unsure if there needs to BE a differential but:

I'd be thinking LD (if slow +IQ not psychomotor retardation!) and that hugely non-PC term : sauvant (or rather, ASD).

ASD fits best for me : associated deafness, focused interests(a gun), concrete thinking.

F_S

P.S Just wait for the forum grumpies to stomp along demanding this be posted under 'Case Conference' , asking for more details, and asking for your research protocols!

:D :D :D

Very sketchy and unsure if there needs to BE a differential but:

I'd be thinking LD (if slow +IQ not psychomotor retardation!) and that hugely non-PC term : sauvant (or rather, ASD).

ASD fits best for me : associated deafness, focused interests(a gun), concrete thinking.

F_S

P.S Just wait for the forum grumpies to stomp along demanding this be posted under 'Case Conference' , asking for more details, and asking for your research protocols!

:D :D :D

I'll oblige :) Whats the point in a sketchy profile? Are we police?

Seriously though thats what i'd be thinking. But as i said, investigate and ye shall be enlightened!!

A 30 year-young male who is a little slow in everything he does. Also, he is nearly deaf and uses a hearing aid. [highlight]Yet, with a GUN[/highlight], he is gifted. Gentle and playful on one hand. Rough and brutal on the other. His mind works in a very simple manner. Good/Bad. Yes/ No. Black./White. For him, either you are a good man, or a bad man... No middle way out.

I would appreciate if anyone could be helpful in finding out the Differential diagnosis or diagnosis?with regards

Gifted in what terms?

A 30 year-young male who is a little slow in everything he does. Also, he is nearly deaf and uses a hearing aid. Yet, with a GUN, he is gifted. Gentle and playful on one hand. Rough and brutal on the other. His mind works in a very simple manner. Good/Bad. Yes/ No. Black./White. For him, either you are a good man, or a bad man... No middle way out.

[highlight]I would appreciate if anyone could be helpful in finding out the Differential diagnosis or diagnosis?with regards[/highlight]

Yes, I can help out with how to make a differential diagnosis. You need to take a full psychiatric history and do a thorough mental state examination, review his past medical and psychiatric history and talk to the GP, and with his consent family/partner. Then you need to decide whether there are symptoms or signs of a mental illness, and decide what that mental illness is likely to be. You may want to discuss your findings with your clinical supervisor.

What you have reported is too brief to allow anyone to even attempt a differential. You don't seem to have reported the presence of any psychiatric symptoms in the gentleman. I'm not sure how people can provide a differential when there is nothing abnormal in terms of psychopathology reported.

Yes, I can help out with how to make a differential diagnosis. You need to take a full psychiatric history and do a thorough mental state examination, review his past medical and psychiatric history and talk to the GP, and with his consent family/partner. Then you need to decide whether there are symptoms or signs of a mental illness, and decide what that mental illness is likely to be. You may want to discuss your findings with your clinical supervisor.

What you have reported is too brief to allow anyone to even attempt a differential. You don't seem to have reported the presence of any psychiatric symptoms in the gentleman. I'm not sure how people can provide a differential when there is nothing abnormal in terms of psychopathology reported.

Actually - I made an attempt Chris.

Perhaps the OP isn't hoping for anything more than to start an (albiet brief) debate?

At any rate - thank you for proving my clairvoyant abilities - I'll be here all week. Please tip your waitress....

F_S

Is he one of your patients whom you want some help with? If so, consider referring him to one of the regional Deaf Services who have the expertise to manage someone like him. There is one in London and in Manchester and I believe Birmingham.

But all we know from the OP is that he is a deaf chap with probable IQ less than 100, who is good at shooting. There is absolutely nothing abnormal here. He could be the paralympic shooting champion for all we know, and live an active normal healthy life!

does he roam around high schools or malls shooting innocents :-?

jokes apart freudian slipped has given a nice platform to start with even with the limited info and indeed if u suspect a psychiatric diagnosis

does he roam around high schools or malls shooting innocents :-?

This is like a pub debate amongst lawyers!! :lol: :lol: :lol: