Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frodo

Digital SLR Camera  Which one?

63 posts in this topic

In this credit crunching time - still need to buy ourselves a little treat...

Which affordable DSLR do you guys recommend?

I am leaning towards the Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ18...

any good ;)

There's a recent thread on this a few lines down in the forum list.

i was thinking about the Panasonic Lumix G1..

any thoughts ? i read really good reviews about it.. but wanted to get a view from the photography people here..

My suggestion is get a 'normal' top end camera, change settings and try getting good pics (by good i mean ones which YOU like). If you think you get good results THEN go for an expensive DSLR!!! But thats just me thinking I have some ice pics adjusting settings on 'normal' cameras. You know they give you some freedom with settings!!

My suggestion is get a 'normal' top end camera, change settings and try getting good pics (by good i mean ones which YOU like). If you think you get good results THEN go for an expensive DSLR!!! But thats just me thinking I have some ice pics adjusting settings on 'normal' cameras. You know they give you some freedom with settings!!

normal camera i dont think theres anything out there to beat the g10..

i've got a canon ixus 90 is as a 'normal' camera - it's a bit fiddly, and most reviews say that there aren't many manual customisation options. I think there are enough, and if not, itis supported by a good unofficial firmware upgrade that does the rest...

well, i have always believed in buying things that are made by ppl who have made those type of things.. do i make sense ?

i mean if u want to buy a watch buy something made by a certified watch maker rather than D&G or Gucci.. similarly for cameras..

Canon yes, Sony is relatively new in the market.. but there are two features in that sony that have a distinct advantage above the Canon...

1) built in image stabilisation unlike Canon's lens based one..

2) tilting, movable LCD for live view which is missing from the Canon.. the Canon's one is a fixed one.. cant do much..

3) lower price for the sony.. plus the older Minolta lenses fit the Sony perfectly too.. thereby overall cost of the assembly is much lower.. but how much of a difference will that be costwise given picture quality output..

there isnt that much difference in picture quality

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyDSLRA350/page26.asp

and heres the features comparison between the two.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyDSLRA350/page22.asp

ultimately went for the Canon..

this is what put me off the Sony -

The biggest reservations we have about this camera, though, relate to its image quality. On paper and when shooting resolution charts, the A350 is an impressive performer but that prowess doesn't always hold up when you step outside the studio.

the noise levels on higher ISOs are remarkable... now i am not hardcore.. but there often are times when has to shoot in low light and all that.. and the one thing if i cant get the one thing i need a camera for right, then whats the purpose in spending so much money...

and as i type, the Canon has arrived... pics will follow suit.. will upload them on flickr and post the link as usual..

here u go.. click on the image to go to the full page..

3704070144_b5a4dc1a6b_m.jpg

I'm biased towards the canon

yup.. SP.. good choice..

cant go wrong with canon..

sony. yup.. youre experimenting to see if its really gotten onto the DSLR bandwagon.. etc etc..

canon or nikon.. very difficult to go wrong..

im thinking of getting a canon g10 as my portable.. i.e. slip into pocket.. and a canon mark II as a main camera.. can shoot full HD video too.. have watched some mark II vids on vimeo and they look so beautiful it almost hurts to look at them.. will post links if possible..

heres a link to all the canon5D mark II vids that a mark 2 fan could find..

http://www.canon5dtips.com/2009/06/list-of-all-5d-mark-ii-vimeo-groups-i-could-find/

seriously the most beautiful videos i have ever seen.. (and from a camera to boot)

costs circa 1800 quid minimum.. but if i dont go for it.. ill regret it when im 65.. or even in a year or three..

well, one of my friends is actually going to buy that within the next 3-4 weeks.. i was shocked when he said it cost around 2k !

well, one of my friends is actually going to buy that within the next 3-4 weeks..  i was shocked when he said it cost around 2k !

yup dude.. but just look at ANY video of the mark II on vimeo..

they just look so beautiful.. (i have to say this even if i sound like twinks..).. it hurts.. and its every single video..

that 2k could very probably change his life.. heck.. he could make a name for himself fairly quickly producing videos like that..

some of the vids are pretty crap really.. picks of people standing.. walking.. but the video makes it look really beautiful..

i just started looking at the vids and started going.. ahh ahh ohh ohh..

seriously.. is there any camcorder out there that can produce video that looks as good as the mark II?.. id like to know..

sony. yup.. youre experimenting to see if its really gotten onto the DSLR bandwagon.. etc etc..

canon or nikon.. very difficult to go wrong..

I've had an a350 for a while now and haven't been disappointed. It stands up quite well to a range of conditions. Low light noise is a fair point on its performance, but is not terrible. The live view and tilt screen are really useful, allowing you to get high and low angle shots with ease, or to shoot candids from the hip with greater accuracy. The 14 MP is easily enough for any camera, I've blown a section of an image up to 1.5m wide without obvious problems on the print.

The a350 was the 2nd gen of sony cameras, and strike a good balance between the basic a100/200 and the much more pricey (but better) a700. Interestingly they have just announced another ?3 cameras to add to their DSLR range, although I haven't yet seen any reviews for it. I guess this means Sony are taking it seriously and are here to stay.

Incidentally, just bought the tamron 18-250 lens for the camera, early days with it yet, but it looks a great all-in-one zoom lens. Problems with focal length slipping if at a steep angle, but otherwise compact, light and sharp images so far.

chris does that lens have image stabilizer? How much did it cost - I use a similar sigma lens, but it doesn't have image stabiizer and that sucks...

damn i need to do a few mha assessments - slarti that camera rocks. The friend sagir talks about takes very good photos - in my case, i think that a camera can only be as good as the photographer, and while i feel i am slowly outgrowing my canon 350d, i'm not sure if i need the mark2 yet...in fact my next camera invesment should perhaps be a lens with image stabilizer...

sagir - that asterix comic photo has amazing clarity - am so impressed - that williams cap photo tells me u gotta read afew books ;)

chris does that lens have image stabilizer? How much did it cost - I use a similar sigma lens, but it doesn't have image stabiizer and that sucks...

No, I'm not sure about the ones for other makes, but as the Sony has image stabilisation built into the camera iteslf, there was no need for me to pay much attention to lenses with image stabilisation. At a price of £300 (and a bit less for canon and nikon mounts) I would doubt if it includes it.

I'll post some images with it at some point, need to get a flickr account set up, been putting it off for ages!

Chris.

sagir - that asterix comic photo has amazing clarity - am so impressed - that williams cap photo tells me u gotta read afew books ;)

thank you thank you :)

and yes... what books do u suggest i read ? i have been asking that for weeks now.. but havent got many solid responses.. Tan suggested DSLR for Dummies or something like that.. but i think i might need something more solid.. there was a Digital Photography book that i had in mind. what do u think ?

41iJlOYMpVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

and please tell me if there was anything wrong with the cap photo.. i just want to learn..

need to get a flickr account set up, been putting it off for ages!

yep, i second that.. it gets very handy.. i have been seeing PA's photostreams and there are a lot of professionals who have given good tips and stuff like that.. besides the forums seem quite handy too..

and yes... what books do u suggest i read ? i have been asking that for weeks now.. but havent got many solid responses..Tan suggested DSLR for Dummies or something like that.. but i think i might need something more solid.. there was a Digital Photography book that i had in mind. what do u think ?

I found the best for just explaining all of the terms and how it relates to the pictures you take was: 'Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera by Bryan Peterson'

For inspirational snaps and new ideas I tend to read Digital Camera Magazine, and also read 'the moment it clicks' which was good, but would require complex lighting rigs to do anything similar!