psychoanalytix

Online Gaming: Have you Fragged anyone lately??

3,870 posts in this topic

Hi,

If the subject makes sense to you, then you might already be a gamer. A lot is happening in the world of gamers - new consoles, new game genre and broadband to name a few.

Do you feel that fragging a few people takes your mind off the stress at work? Have you played an online game recently? Did you feel that your experience was vastly improved if you could play with a like minded team? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, you might be interested in joining some of your colleagues for a game or two.

At present a few SHO at my trust have started teaming up for online game play, and we feel that there might be more out there. The games we are playing extensivley include battlefield2, battlefield2 special forces, guild wars, and yahoo pool.

We have id's on xfire, a messenger tool that makes it very easy to join other online players if they are on your friend's list.

If you feel you would like to give it a try do get in touch and tell us about the games you play and exchange xfire id's if you feel up to it.

Unfortunately we are not into console games and would restrict ourselves to pc-games.

If you have never played games, but would like to know more, get in touch - i believe there exists a game for everyone and would be happy to lead you to online games -free games and beta tests included so you can get a feel withough spending much

P

hi..

well, seems i need to team up with u then..

at the moment i am playing BF2, and Guild Wars online..

recently finished the beta testing for D&amp:lol: Online..

offlline i am playing AoM, FEAR and BFME....

hope we find a few more ppl... that would be fun.. we could pwn then :)

surferosh.png

thanks for the xfire id - am going to quest in guild wars this weekend - may join u.  :)

for people who haven't played online games - i recommend guild wars - as it's easy to play, and it's one of the few online 'role playing games' games which doesn't have a monthly fees

similarly - battlefield 2 is an online 'first person shooter' that has no monthly fees -

u do need a relatively powerful computer to run bf2 though.

am willing to find out links where u can get the games for as little as 11-14 quids if ne1 is interested.

P

hey dude,,,

have u noticed.. people are reading this topic... but surprisingly, no one is posting any comments... either they arent much into gaming.. or they are least interested..

i guess it will be down to us two to keep this thread going..

yeah.. and might join u over the weekend.. we could hunt some Charr... lol

surferosh.png

Not surprising - Gaming is almost as taboo as Psychiatry!

Have you made the observation that it has generally become accepted to be a gadget geek, but gaming has a long way to go.

There could be lots of reasons for that. Here's my take on it -

It's easy to be a gadget geek -for some - all you need to do is spend some money and buy the latest . It's a different story that you might have no clue what half the buttons on the home theatre system do! You look cool and that's all that matters. Hardly any investment in time or effort is there?

But when it comes to gaming - initailly u need to find something that holds your interest.

then when you start playing you suddenly realize that running from point a to b while shooting at point c needs more motor coordination than tying your shoelaces!

And then to be cool you have to have peers who would come and cheer you.

Recall this scenario: you meet up with doctors at a party. you introduce yourself, and hten you let them know - that you are a psychiatrist. Have you found people spontaneously giggle once you say so?

Now , if u then went on to say o! and i also like to play computer games - imagine the response!!

It took me a long time to get used to the giggle in scenario no 1. wont be surprised if superegocafe members felt handling the stress of scenario no 2 a little too much to cope!

Anyway - I am not here to preach gaming. All I am interested in is sharing my experience with like minded people. If people read this and feel like joining in that's great. If not, it's not a big loss it it? day before yesterday 52000 people simultaneously logged on to Battlefield2 servers. You think we wont find a few to our liking??

About keeping the thread live - not sure if we really need to, but if we must, what do you think would be a good way to do so?

At present I am not playing any other game, so I can't really add new juicy bits bout games I know nothing about, but I don't mind posting bits and pieces as and when they come to mind.

P

Hey boss, i totally agree with you on both the scenarios.

Though i know of some people, psychiatrists, who do a bit and some who do a lot of online gaming.

by the way, i will be playing GW tonight. i am currently at Yak's Bend, and need to complete the missions to get out of Shiverpeaks and into the Desert.

See you around. would be kicking some Charr hides over there :D

surferosh.png

I have here a free game, that is  a real stress buster - all u do is draw clouds. don't be dismissive - it sounds simple, but it has been such a good game that it has been ranked as one of the top indie games of this year.

'indie game' meaning the game has not been produced by a professional company for the sake of making commercial gain.

one has to applaud the effort given to make something this beautiful.

A warning though - games like this are easy to play and often make people interested in gaming...!!

Check it out

http://www.thatcloudgame.com/

p

good job buddy... i will try the link a bit later... but i assume it will be a stressbuster, for some light gaming..

if anyone interested in cricket try www.stickcricket.com

its a cool one as well.. currently india is leading the tables in head to head ones.

Althoug i am one of the few rare creatures on earth who think insect! when they hear 'cricket' i must say stickcricket is quite interesting and also addictive! :)

dude...

had an aweome gaming weekend.. though not as much as i would have liked to.. looking forward to the next week now.. bit busy initially due to oncalls and othe rreasons...

keep u posted... fancy BF2 anytime ???

surferosh.png

They put up a new patch for bf2 a few weeks ago. this has really ruined the game, and ea sprots have decided to come up with anothe patch to fix the patch :) i don't see much point in playing atpresent, unless u want to use a few classes, where the guns have become really powerful. neway will catch u on xfire.

new resolution this week though -no gaming until 11pm - sorry!

p

Nothing like a good bit of BF2 to unwind 8-)

Shame about the loading times but the 1.2 patch finally takes absurd power away from the planes and gives the grunts a chance (wonder why Strike at Karkland is the most played map ??) - no complaints from me !

Be seeing you

i am glad to see that somebody else has posted on this thread !!!!!!!!

God bless us gamers....lol

i intended to download the patch for BF2.. but as psychoanalytix says, its not worth doing it now.. its really bizarre how EA always screw up their patches.....

anyways.. GW is the flavour of the week for me.

surferosh.png

The trouble (one of them) with not downloading the patch is you won't find any ranked servers - which means no advancement up the ladder, no weapon unlocks etc. (unless you have them all already).

I've found the patch to be no problem and enhances the gameplay a lot...

Moves the balance back to infantry combat

No jumping around and shooting (how annoying is that)

Reload while sprinting

The visible UAVs are soooooooo cool

The filters seem to work in the menu

The support MG is more appropriately powered

The medic's paddles charge automatically (even if not selected)

Minimum distance for grenade launchers stops ridiculous 'fragging' from a meter away.

Don't get the patch if...

You're a pilot !

You only use the grenade launcher

Some graphics cards have been struggling

Anyway thumbs up from me !

Be seeing you (but only if you patch and play on ranked servers !)

First Q: [highlight]What other games do you play??[/highlight]

BF':I am using the PKM when i log on nowadays - as the forums say it's been extra enhanced! the c4, and the sniper gunsa re particularly efficient as well, so is all anti air craft!

my main reason for not playing at present is the graphics -  while previously i could see legs sticking through fences, i can now see vehicle wheels, and some wierd triangles at times  :)

this weekend I have to go to leeds and it seems that i can be online only on Sunday night. it's a shame, because i finally get more people to team up with, and then find out that i don't have the time. anyway i am surethere will be more chances !

Problem : how do we meet up. As gamers go, i like to be flexible about my time. so i use xfire - that way i can join anyone i know without any hassle . if you use xfire, my id is knightins. add me to your list and mention this forum.

if u don't use xfire, then we have to find a way to make sure we land on the same server.

My usual gameplay time is 11pm - 2 am,. I might be online on sunday night.

See you soon.

S

I use Yahoo's all-seeing-eye to find decent servers for BF2 and BF2:SF (mainly because the in game filters aren't good enough).

I also play CS:Source and DoD:Source if I want something a bit quicker. I used to play CoD a lot until CoD2 came out (which I haven't got).

i am considering cs:source.

i played cod2, but did not try the online version.

for me bf2 was unexpected as i don't usually like the shoot ups - reather prefering things like rct3 and guild wars.

I also think that i will not get more games until my part 2 - sept [ lets see ]

P

I briefly checked yahoo all-seeing-eye. Before I install it, I have a couple of queries:

How good is the trial version? Is it the same as the full version, with a time limit?I am not too keen on paying for a service I can get for free...

Also, in Xfire - which is completely free - u can join a player's side in bf2 by 'Right Click on player name > join '

Is all seeing as easy?

Does it allow voice chat over more than one team member like teamspeak? [ xfire allows voice chat between 2 members]

Hopefully I can join you on sunday.

RE: Karkhand - i think the main reason people like it is because other than arty, there isn't much that gives some people unfair advantage over others. Also the fact that you don't have to run too far after re-spawning to get to the action. I never got the basic knife kill medals, but those who did it legitimately, recommended this map for knife kills. Personally i hate shonghua stalemate - everything else goes.

I have the special forces dvd as well, but don't play it as often.

Since I now spend more time with guild wars, i do not think i will buy the euro forces expansion, but hey! if you try it- let me know :)

For others who might wander into this thread - i shall soon post a list of free games that are as good as most commercial games and is a good way to spend an idle [?] hour!

P

Please check out www.trackmanianations.com

a full free game for those who love racing, by the same people who made trackmania and trackmania sunrise - in other words there is nothing lacking in quality and gameplay -

they even have an ongoing contest and the highest ranking players will actually get to drive on one of the racing tracks

P

In theory you have to pay for the full version of the Allseeing Eye but in practice you just click on 'use trial version for another 7 days' once a week (not much of a hardship). I haven't tried others so I can't really comment on flexibility. It does allow you to keep track of friends. It's very easy to install (and presumably uninstall) so you could always give it a go.

The thing I like most about it is the very flexible filters - they essentially require a little bit of typing (it comes with instructions and more is available online) but you can filter for things like - ping (obviously), spaces free, total players (if you want big or smalll games) and number if times the map replays (which I use a lot as I hate joining a server a immediately having to load a new map !)

I quite like SF though don't play it as much - I do end up running around Karkand though cursing that I don't have a grappling hook !!!

Incidentally my BF username is (unsurprisingly) number6

My bf2 id is gamr  

i could not log on this entire weekend :(

will try all seeing eye - and let u know.

If i can join your team/squad by looking up your id on all seeing eye, then i see no reason not to try it!

P

Corporal Number 6 hunh?!?

Hi!

I checked www.bf2s.com and found out u were playing karkhand 24/7 !

seems like u like the map a lot!

:)

Well. am at work - will log on later this week

C Ya!

P

well. i have quite made up my mind on buying GW: Factions...

and have also been looking up info on LOTR: Online... seems to be a promising one.. eagerly waiting for the beta to come up.. and hoping that codemasters let me be a part of the beta-testing this time as well...

keeping fingers crossed...

surferosh.png

well. i have quite made up my mind on buying GW: Factions...

and have also been looking up info on LOTR: Online... seems to be a promising one.. eagerly waiting for the beta to come up.. and hoping that codemasters let me be a part of the beta-testing this time as well...

keeping fingers crossed...

surferosh.png

i simply could not find a place to sign on for the beta testing for lotr .. can you send me the link please??

Also i am now a prpoud lvl 18 R/e and a Lvl 8 W/N on Guild wars, and may make it to the fabled desert in a few days. Won't be ablye to join u this friday. Tonite I am on call till 9, and am in the mood for battlefield 2 - if i can pair up with [highlight]number6!![/highlight]

I checked up on the factions -

it's damn tempting, but i wont gain anything by pre ordering, i will be away on the 28th of April. However, it seems like I will have completed the original gw at least one by that time, and so factions might be somehting worth considering.

Are there any other beta tests around?

P

the beta for LOTR isnt out yet.. expecting it to be in june or thereabouts.. cos they are releasing the game in fall....

i am not aware of any major betas around.. atleast the updates on gamespot and codemasters dont suggest anything....

but will keep u informed..

by the way, i have sent an invite to u for the Factions preview on march 24th.. hope u got it..

catch u later

surferosh.png